Nicholas Ward

View Nicholas Ward's Comments BY TICKER:
  • What I Bought Over The Last 4 Months, And Why I Bought It [View article]
    Congrats on your QCOM entry. As gatsby stated, I write from a first person perspective here on SA because I want readers to know and understand that the opinions being expressed are my own - they may take them or leave them for whatever they feel they're worth. I appreciate you both taking the time to comment.
    Jul 30 10:28 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What I Bought Over The Last 4 Months, And Why I Bought It [View article]
    BTinSF, thanks for taking the time to write such a detailed comment. It's funny that you mention an alternative strategy to get long stocks, especially when they have lower yields, because recently I opened up a new brokerage account with a mind to start a smaller, side portfolio to experiment with options and leverage my bets a bit. Thus far I've felt more comfortable simply buying shares to gain exposure to a company but I agree with you and I think I could possibly be better off in certain situations making plays through options. I learned/am still learning to invest by jumping into the market and getting a hands on education through experience and I plan on doing the same with options - I'll probably just have to read another book or two on strategies before I feel comfortable enough to put my capital at risk.

BTW - I'm assuming the SF in your name is San Francisco. You're a lucky guy/gal if I'm correct. I recently spent some time on the west coast, some of that time in the bay area, and was pleasantly surprised.
    Jul 30 10:25 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • American Realty Capital Properties: A Solid Choice For Income [View article]
    Thanks for the article. ARCP is a company that I monitor more closely that most that I own on a quarterly basis - I'm interested to know how all of management's recent moves play out. Because of ARCP's under valued nature in relation to O I've been re-investing dividends from my portfolio into ARCP on a monthly basis for some time now. Love the high yield, love the monthly payments, would love a dividend increase in a quarter or two when FFO payout ratio is less than 100%.
    Jul 30 02:13 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why It Can Be Self-Destructive To Compare Yourself To The S&P 500 [View article]
    Tim, congrats on another fine article. I think that you and I are of similar tastes when it comes to our investment strategies - I often find myself wrestling with this comparison to the S&P issue as well. Like you said, ultimately, for me, creating a reliably increasing stream of income with my investments if what I am focused on. To do so I will have to invest in very high quality companies with long-term earnings growth potential, otherwise, the dividend growth that I am after would not be sustainable. That being said, my focus on reliable increasing income directly corresponds to my ability to generate capital appreciation as well (this is especially the case when I am patient and wait for the stocks that I feel confident about moving forward from a DG perspective to trade at attractive valuations before purchasing them). Because of this, and the inherent competitive nature that I think most of us who are do-it-yourself investors have (if we didn't, we'd probably be happy to pass off our portfolio management to a professional and willingly pay them their annual fees), I think that it is important to maintain a benchmark to compare myself to - so long as I am not losing sight of my ultimate goal: my financial independence due to my income stream. Anyway, food for thought. Maybe I'll write a rebuttal article, showing why I think income oriented investors can have the best of both worlds. Once again - well done.
    Jul 29 10:23 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • My High Dividend Yield Retirement Portfolio Delivers 8.8% Of Income For This Retiree [View article]
    I too worry that you may be over concentrated, although I admit that my opinion should hold zero weight if you are comfortable with your DD/decisions. I hold over 50 positions, which can be some work to monitor, but like billinsd said, allows for me to sleep well at night. Good luck and thanks for sharing your story. As someone whose basically learned to invest reading articles here on SA as well as on other sites, I think these personal narratives can serve other investors very well if we are willing to learn from others' mistakes.
    Jul 24 03:23 PM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is Noble A Better Buy Than Ensco? [View article]
    Two great companies in an unjustly beaten down industry. I'm long both. Looking to add to ESV on further weakness, target price is $48. We'll see - either way, love the dividends.
    May 4 07:19 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • I'm Buying W.P. Carey For The Long Haul [View article]
    tone, things to consider: many of the metrics that you listed, P/E and payout ratio for instance, are not the best measurements for a stock like WPC. If you look at P/FFO like Brad mentions in the article, those numbers are much, much better. I agree with you, I see red flags here due to valuation, but they are not as overstated as non-REIT fundamental measurements might make them seem.
    Apr 15 12:48 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • I'm Buying W.P. Carey For The Long Haul [View article]
    Mike - same screen that convinced me not to buy some. F.A.S.T. Graphs is a wonderful thing.
    Apr 15 10:43 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • My KISS Dividend Portfolio: 1st Quarter 2014 Update [View article]
    PTI - wonderful article. I agree with David, this quarterly report is one of my favorites. I'm glad to see that you've found an objective way to sell a stock. I have trouble with this and implementing something similar to your metric would probably be a good idea for me. Congrats on your success and happy investing.
    Apr 15 10:42 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • I'm Buying W.P. Carey For The Long Haul [View article]
    Brad, I too would be interested on your thoughts about WPC's valuation. I was following the stock's recent downturn, watching as it went above a 6% yield, and held off on purchasing because I'm not sure if its P/FFO is justified. Is WPC expected to grow faster than its peers in this space? Or, if this valuation premium because of its stellar reputation?
    Apr 15 10:05 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Amgen: Allowing Dividend Growth Investors To Capitalize On The Biotech Sell-Off [View article]
    Aging, thank you for your kind words. Times are challenging for investors right now, especially in this industry. I bought GILD yesterday at 67.07 - didn't quite call the bottom (would have loved to have waited 2 hours and gotten in at 65). I am essentially using AMGN as my hedge, if the biotechs sell off I will be happy to buy AGMN at a higher yield on cost. I went with GILD because I think its the MOST undervalued. I think pretty much all of the big boys in this industry are undervalued now and if I had more capital on hand I might move in more strongly. I am being cautious however, as I can't tell how much momentum this sell-off as left. Either way, I feel very strongly that my GILD purchase at 67 will be a winner a year or two down the road.
    Apr 11 10:18 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Stress Free Portfolio: Q1 2014 Results [View article]
    Pebbles, its funny you suggest that - earlier in the week I wrote an article titled, "Dividend Growth Investing: Why I Don't Own Index Funds" - this might answer your question: http://seekingalpha.co...
    Apr 6 11:10 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Growth Investing: Why I Don't Own Index Funds [View article]
    Tim, when writing this piece I knew it would come up against this survivor argument. I tried to find data similar to what you just posted before publishing the article but failed miserably (I was going to focus on Kodak, but your Sears example is even better). Kudos to you for knowing all of this, or at least knowing where to find it. Tracking spin-offs and stock splits is not easy - thanks.
    Apr 5 05:49 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Stress Free Portfolio: Q1 2014 Results [View article]
    Platinum, if I knew which company, Target or Wal-Mart, would out perform the other headed into the distant future, I would be invested solely in the winner. However, I think that it would be speculative to presume a winner as far as Alpha goes. Regardless of how much time I have or am willing to spend on research, I don't think it would be possible to pick a winner today. I own both Pepsi and Coke as well because of this as well. I'm not opposed to owning several quality companies within the same sector, especially if they both meet my dividend qualifications. This portfolio is more about a reliable passive income stream than it is about achieving alpha - my argument here would be that alpha will inevitably happen when owning high quality companies with predictable dividends and low betas.

As far as time being spent better elsewhere, I assure you that when the time I spend monitoring my holdings is no longer enjoyable, I will make a change of plans. However, right now, I find joy in this process. Ultimately, life is about doing what you like. I could spend more time working or even starting a business, but right now my passion lies in my investments. I do my best to follow my passions (outside of my family, my others are writing, painting, and coaching), I think this is the best way to live a meaningful and fulfilled life.
    Apr 5 04:58 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Stress Free Portfolio: Q1 2014 Results [View article]
    misscdb - that you for your comment and sharing your story. This is what I love about SA. I look forward to being able to post Y/Y income growth results like yours (if I'm so lucky). 51% is incredible. Like you, my focus is on passive income as I see this to be the best vehicle to generate compounding wealth right now and eventually become financially independent due to the income that my holdings create. Good luck to you as well.
    Apr 5 04:25 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment