Nicholas Ward

View Nicholas Ward's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Could An iOS Exclusive iRadio Win The Summer Smartphone War For Apple? [View article]
    I'd say the ESPN venture has been quite successful and rather innovative.
    Apr 8 09:42 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I call it an innovation because I imagine that Apple will take what we know as internet radio a step forward. If they simply duplicate Pandora's system and give it a different interface then the naysayers will be correct. Only time will tell.
    Apr 5 02:05 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I would agree - you hear figures about the aging America auto fleet (off the top of my head I think the average age of a car in the US right now is 11 years old) and how eventually these vehicles will need to be replaced; if the iRadio was meant to combat Siri as an automobile addition then this would be an example of Apple extending their brand and their reach even further. People say that there's no new innovation without Jobs; well, a wide scale move into the automobile sector seems like a bold statement to me.
    Apr 5 01:50 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    pk de cville, I imagine that Apple will try to make this proposed service exclusive because the revenues that will arise from the radio itself will not be meaningful for the company (unless they drastically outperform the current internet radio powers through significantly lower streaming rates or significantly higher ad. revenues). I see this as an attempt to extend the brand's moat and to further integrate all of its products - I see an iRadio service meshing well with the iHome or even an improved iTV in the future.

If they do decide to offer this service through the other OS's I imagine that it will represent strong brand recognition far into the future as internet radio is growing in popularity worldwide. I don't know if these other companies will want to give Apple this sort of satisfaction. If Apple does come out with this service I truly believe that Pandora and Spotify and the other players in this game will have to partner up with mobile device producers and we will see a sort of iRadio dance with Android, Windows, BB...it'll be interesting to see what it looks like when the dance is over and all the dust settles.
    Apr 5 12:01 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Michael, I agree - internet radio will be common on all mobile devices (if it already isn't); my point is, that consumers will gravitate towards the best option and I assume that Apple has the capability to produce the best option. I don't think this will spark riots or drastically chance the smartphone game as we know it, but I do think that in a market space with such tight competition offering something great and exclusive (combined with a great media campaign) could be enough to sway consumers who still haven't made up their minds.
    Apr 4 09:47 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thank you - I need your job, most of my research involves SportsCenter reruns and a headache.
    Apr 4 08:12 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Everyday I wish I had Disney in my portfolio; I watch this stock like a hawk for a pullback.
    Apr 4 08:06 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    No problem at all - I was so interested in your text that I didn't even notice.
    Apr 4 07:07 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Digital, thank you for your very informative and articulate response, much appreciated.
    Apr 4 06:57 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Glenn,

"Apple doesn't need the small amount of potential profits from internet radio advertising. What they need is something obvious and visible to differentiate their product."

My sentiment exactly. Thank you for your comment.
    Apr 4 06:12 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Apple seems to have a great relationship with the music industry and while there is no proof that they would get streaming rights to all of their iTunes songs (I'm sure they won't get rights for every single song), I see no reason why artists and their producers wouldn't want the increased exposure that this system could potentially offer, especially if the iRadio was well integrated with iTunes.
    Apr 4 04:56 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Seeker, it could very well be; many times however they are derived from a press release or an industry leak (still newspeak, I know - but they keep us on our toes nonetheless). Ultimately I believe this support will come from an increased dividend. In the mean time I don't mind the company focusing on exclusivity, especially if they don't plan on moving to the 5 inch screen.
    Apr 4 04:53 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Etoile, I focused on P because I believe that they would be the biggest hurdle for an iRadio. Internationally Spotify does take the cake, though neither company is profitable. Pandora cites several different reasons for not having gone global, mainly that they want to focus on becoming profitable in their main market: the US, before spending further on international growth. Thanks for your comment.
    Apr 4 04:46 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Jake, thank you very much.
    Apr 4 04:40 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    skyking, thank you for your comment. I agree that this potential partnership could have been gold. I was speculating quite a bit when writing this article as is was, so I didn't want to throw in other internet /satellite radio takeover options. I imagine that if Apple goes the acquisition route to get the iRadio up and running it will be a small player as Scott Trader mentioned above.
    Apr 4 04:35 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment