Nick Gagnon

View Nick Gagnon's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Noble Corporation: Net Asset Value [View article]
    MJB,

This is an intelligent article, if you find difficulty with the subject matter you may want to look at forums like 'The Motley Fool'.
    Dec 18, 2014. 09:48 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Transocean: Net Asset Value [View article]
    Great article, well-written and concise! I'm long RIG in addition to my exposure with IPI and FCX in registered accounts, but I've recently purchased (Friday 30th 2016 strike) OTM long-dated RIG calls. I'm looking to add to the existing position if the slide down toward $15 continues.
    Dec 8, 2014. 01:07 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Freeport-McMoRan Is A Great Buying Opportunity [View article]
    This is a good article, Arie. I think if your main premise is focused on dividends, could we get a bit more analysis on ability to pay the dividend? Liquidity and cash ratios, payouts, etc?
    Nov 4, 2014. 08:49 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Netflix Is A Ticking Time Bomb Ready To Explode [View article]
    Go pull up a chart of the market rip in the last 2 weeks - straight up! Congrats, you won a coin-flip, losing strategy long-term.
    Nov 1, 2014. 05:00 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Netflix Is A Ticking Time Bomb Ready To Explode [View article]
    What about the "Netflix is going to acquire streaming sports rights from the major networks" comments. LOL....Beyond absurd. I can't believe are dumb enough to have typed it.
    Nov 1, 2014. 04:57 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Netflix Is A Ticking Time Bomb Ready To Explode [View article]
    I laugh at all these "Netflix is going to be bought-out" comments. Clearly these guys have no experience in trading/analyzing M&A Activity.

I don't know if I agree with straight long puts, I like to time my events; I bought OTM puts a week before earnings at 2.00 and sold them 8 days later for 11.50. I would prefer either vertical short calls (which I also own), then if you get exercised, and your conviction hasn't changed, you can look to longer-term OTM puts, or entering a short position. There's a ton of great beat-up commodity stocks out there (IPI, FCX, etc), but the 'boring' style of investing doesn't appeal to the retail crowd.
    Oct 31, 2014. 08:13 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Intrepid Potash Will Weather Storm But Less Risky Choices Exist [View article]
    Hey Mays, I wanted to ask your opinion on the recent earnings. I managed to get a great fill of 12.44 today (after having my compliance department approve my trades), for shares to dump in my TFSA. I didn't go over the earnings report in detail, I saw an adjusted loss in EPS. Was that the result of inventory impairment writedown? I agree this stock could be stagnant for awhile, but IPI at these price levels offers a very high risk/reward payoff.
    Oct 30, 2014. 09:37 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Netflix Q3 2014 Review: Better Hurry, This Sale Won't Last [View article]
    We'll never see $400 NFLX again. Don't buy the stock here.
    Oct 16, 2014. 08:16 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Netflix Is A Sell Into Earnings [View article]
    Why buy at $300? What's your risk/reward, where's your entry and exit? Just buying because something is down doesn't make much sense to me....
    Oct 15, 2014. 06:29 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Netflix Is A Sell Into Earnings [View article]
    You need to understand that 'investing' in directionally-momentum driven stocks CAN NOT be executed with the strategy as a buy-and-hold. Let me give you an example....years ago, there was a sector I pair-traded in that was my bread and butter. This sector was the darling on wall street, and their earnings were spectacular at a time - I'm talking earnings estimates that crushed expectations by 50-200% - something NFLX earnings have never demonstrated. I saw stocks rise 500% in a year, only to crumble back down to their lows during the market crash of 08. These companies have great balance sheets (great solvency and liquidity ratios), solid earnings (good ROE, solid asset turnover ratios, etc.), yet still are down or near multi-year lows. I've heard through colleagues of people that invested heavily in some of these stocks near their highs, and they seemed like great investments at the time, and if they still hold those stocks would be down significantly.

Neftlix never seemed like a great investment, don't be caught holding the bag on something that may never see $400 ever again.
    Oct 15, 2014. 06:25 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Netflix Is A Sell Into Earnings [View article]
    I think this call wasn't that bold given this environment we're currently in, did anyone expect this stock not to sell-off during this current Nasdaq weakness? Really?
    Netflix was so priced for perfection, nothing but a phenomenal earnings call would show strength to this stock. And before you guys jump down my throat, I'm actually triple short (short the underlying, short a vertical-call Jan 2015 spread, and long OTM July 2015 puts purchased a week ago), so I stand to benefit a lot from this move.

I will look to sell some of my long puts tomorrow on the open; but will most likely not touch the rest of the position. It's too bad this move didn't happen a few weeks ago when TSLA was up to $290...at that time, TSLA/F was probably the pair trade of the century!
    Oct 15, 2014. 06:13 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What Justifies A $445 Price Estimate For Netflix? [View article]
    How could that payout 100:1? Wouldn't it represent a vertical put spread, with defined risk/reward? I think to get the 'home run' hope payout you would have to write the higher-priced put and buy multiple lower-priced puts.
    Sep 26, 2014. 09:57 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Netflix: Key Points The Bears Miss [View article]
    Canada's potential has already hit its ceiling. It's been out for so many years that anyone that wanted Netflix would have had it by now, and now starting in a month from now there's a new competitor being put forth by two cable companies joining forces - Rogers and Shaw. It will launch in a few weeks, and will have the same price of $9 a month that NFLX costs. I'm a rogers customer, and might look into it.
    Sep 1, 2014. 01:12 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Netflix: Key Points The Bears Miss [View article]
    Bill, if we weren't in an inflationary-bubble fueled environment, Netflix would not be trading where it is.
    Aug 25, 2014. 09:19 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Buying Back Into Netflix Using Under Armour Profits [View article]
    You bought at NFLX at these prices, good grief. Do yourself a favor, close out this position and buy some IPI instead.
    Aug 23, 2014. 09:08 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment