Nick Gagnon

View Nick Gagnon's Comments BY TICKER:

• Netflix Shorts Cry Uncle [View article]
    Alibaba just announced they'll have their own competitor to Netflix in two months - what is that, 6-8 weeks after meeting with Hastings and Brass they're able to bring a product to market? Ya, that's some monopoly Netflix has.

And how is Netflix as an S&P 500 company considered a startup, that's absurd. Netflix does have earnings history, and they've actually had a much more profitable business (with a score of financial ratios all across the board) than before they got into streaming.

I don't know if you actually work in this industry or not, (if you're a registered representative); someone with the name "adviser" shouldn't be making blanket statements like 'accumulate large positions', without presenting at a minimum some sort of defined trading plan.
    Jun 14, 2015. 02:24 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Netflix Shorts Cry Uncle [View article]
    Yes and does House of Cards fall into that category? It's no coincidence at this same time Netflix went from capitalizing these agreements as leases to putting them on the balance sheets.

Here's another question for you, Netflix's most popular latest series to come out - Daredevil - who owns the patents on that? Marvel Comics - which is now a subsidiary of a much larger conglomerated.

I see you cherry-pick my answers. I'm still waiting for you to show me that Warren Buffet has invested in a company with a PEG of 4 or greater.

You shouldn't be recommending to investors to 'accumulate' a large portion in a stock that is characterized by high-volatility.
    Jun 14, 2015. 01:58 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Alibaba to launch video streaming service [View news story]
    Or a PEG of 4, or negative FCFE, or a Debt/Equity ratio that's tripled in one quarter, take your pick...
    Jun 14, 2015. 12:22 PM | 8 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Alibaba to launch video streaming service [View news story]
    Ya, and what's really scary is that only a few weeks after a meeting with Hastings and company Jack Ma will have a competitive product. Talk about a short window to bring a product to market.
    Jun 14, 2015. 12:19 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Alibaba to launch video streaming service [View news story]
    I expect a Netflix sell-off tomorrow.
    Jun 14, 2015. 11:30 AM | 16 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Netflix Shorts Cry Uncle [View article]
    Netflix doesn't own any of those rights, it's been well-documented they own the distribution channels for House of Cards, etc. To say they own the product like Disney and Mickey Mouse is completely false.
    And do you really think Netflix is a better production studio, and should be valued at multiples on multiples to every single other production studio that have been doing it for decades?

Anyways, my point is if you were really a follower of Buffet you wouldn't be investing in companies with PEG ratios of 4. You haven't addressed any of those points I made....
    Jun 13, 2015. 09:41 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Netflix Shorts Cry Uncle [View article]
    Very good points...if you look at the activity, solvency and liquidity ratios you'll find Netflix is performing significantly worst than their previous business model.
    Jun 13, 2015. 03:05 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Netflix Shorts Cry Uncle [View article]
    Netflix hasn't made any profits, that's the thing. This company is not AAPL, Google, MSFT or any company generating significant profits - it is negative FCFE in streaming.

Please explain to me how Netflix has a monopoly when everything they distribute (not own, just broadcast) can be found on a competitor, or much worst - illegally for free!

If you can show me where Buffet has sold positions in the railroads to put money into Netflix, I'll rescind these comments.
    Jun 13, 2015. 03:03 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Netflix: Understanding Its True Liabilities [View article]
    I don't have any insight, and have looked into the past in trying to find out about these. My understanding with the off-balance sheet liabilities is it's agreed in principle but the total amount isn't completely determined, that's why it's off-balance sheet. I really wish someone on SA with a stronger accounting background would chime on these but it seems like those that understand them keep it to themselves.
    Jun 13, 2015. 12:54 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Netflix Shorts Cry Uncle [View article]
    I'm actually surprised a follower of Buffet would suggest investors accumulate Netflix. It might have the highest PEG ratio in the entire NA universe of large cap stocks.
    There is definitely potential in Netflix, but amateur investors need to understand that the streaming market is still very young and profitability has not been demonstrated. Netflix has not had positive FCFE since they've entering streaming, which is a huge red flag.
    Jun 13, 2015. 12:47 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is Freeport-McMoRan A Value Trap? [View article]
    I think FCX will oscillate around this price point for awhile; I had purchased some small positions in the low 30s and added chunks all the way down into long-term registered holds. I have been following this stock since 06, and I think until the debt levels go down for a few periods the upside is limited. A lot of people were caught off-guard by the sell-off in commodities; I had also purchased some Jan 16 calls at the start of this year for around a buck and managed to get out for a slight loss on the bounce up on the stock price around $24. I'm not worried about too much downside risk, but I think the upside is limited (especially in a market downturn which a lot of people are expecting).
    Jun 13, 2015. 12:39 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Netflix: Understanding Its True Liabilities [View article]
    Hey Ed,

Not to diminish the significance of these liabilities, but I think in Netflix's case when the liabilities come due and payment is not to be made they will just lose the rights to content. So although users would be shocked to wake up one day and see titles no longer in their library (and it would definitely have a negative impact on their subscriber numbers), I don't think it's as a bad as a retailer operating a clothing store and suddenly having to shut down.

It would be really nice to see a breakdown of the liabilities, but I don't think they're reported line-by-line?
    Jun 13, 2015. 09:13 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Loonie Faces One, Two Punch From Oil And Housing [View article]
    Good article Danielle.

What are your thoughts on the disparity between rents and mortgage rates which stands at an all-time high? That spread needs to converge, do you think home prices will stay more or less flat for a period of time and the renters will be eating the rising increases? I don't think it's likely because renters spend on average in Canada 48% of net income on housing/housing related costs, but that doesn't mean it couldn't get worst.
    Jun 11, 2015. 10:38 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Netflix: No Thanks - We'll Have Level 3 Instead [View article]
    Your personal opinion just like mine, but Hulu isn't the most over-valued stock in the S&P like Netflix. If you invest in solely -FCFE companies you'll go broke 99 times out of 100 before you get rich.
    Jun 10, 2015. 10:42 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Netflix sets the table for stock split [View news story]
    I'm going to turn the tables on you; what is available on Netflix that isn't available on a competitor service (legal or illegal)?
    Jun 10, 2015. 07:51 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment