Niko Mäenpää

View Niko Mäenpää's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Why I Bought One Bitcoin [View article]
    I'd recommend Bitstamp. You need to authorize first before being able to buy bitcoins from their exchange.
    Nov 17, 2013. 07:57 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I Bought One Bitcoin [View article]
    It's scary to even think what Bitcoin can accomplish. I sold a small percentage of my stock portfolio for Bitcoin a while ago. So far so good, but I'm not planning to sell these. I'd rather consume Pepsi-cola until my Bitcoin wallet falls down to zero.
    Nov 17, 2013. 06:25 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Smartphone Operating System Wars [View article]
    There's only two buts for the Nokia board being summoned to Finland:

1) Source: unknown
    2) Yle news, who published the news and were later cited by foreign newspapers was talking about the Wednesday and Thursday last week. Someone clearly tried to Google translate Finnish. (Pro tip: you can't).
    Jun 29, 2013. 06:33 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Nokia's Growth Is Bound To Come [View article]
    That is, if you limit your view to numbers.
    May 28, 2013. 12:46 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Nokia Manufacturing Improving? [View article]
    I hope so. If you look at the recent interviews of Nokia executives, they have changed the "the sales will improve atleast the same as Q4 to Q1" to "will improve even more".
    May 16, 2013. 06:05 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Aboard The S.S. Ballmer [View article]
    You should be cautious with Tomi Ahonen. He's an extremely bitter Nokia ex-employee. Together with OPK they destroyed Nokia, and left Elop to collect the pieces.
    May 13, 2013. 12:27 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • I'll Buy Nokia If The Company Dumps Windows And Elop [View article]
    Well, one can only speculate if the author wishes to be Anonymous.

Edit: Looking at your previous articles, I guess I just have to agree to disagree with you. Have a good night.
    May 9, 2013. 03:01 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • I'll Buy Nokia If The Company Dumps Windows And Elop [View article]
    Exactly what part of Nokia do you like?
    May 9, 2013. 02:13 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • I'll Buy Nokia If The Company Dumps Windows And Elop [View article]
    It's weird how these "analysts" arrive everytime short-interest has been high for a few days but the PPS hasn't dropped.
    May 9, 2013. 02:04 PM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Nokia: Dispelling Attacks And Myths [View article]
    Actually no, Sweden might be even harder market for Nokia than the U.S. Lumias are as we speak launching in multiple countries, and have received quite good feedback in most of them. Look Thailand, India or Mexico. That's already quite good global scale?

And btw, I have never seen a single BlackBerry in my life (I live in Finland). Hence London may not be the best place to see what an average consumer wants.
    May 9, 2013. 08:32 AM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Windows 8 Tablets Are Already Displacing iPads With More To Come [View article]
    Hopefully Nokia will announce its own WP8 tablet on 14th May. The boost in WP8 tablet sales could be even bigger.
    Apr 26, 2013. 02:59 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Nokia's Sad Death [View article]
    One could try to find a positive review of any Ericsson phone from the Finnish media, returning empty-handed due to its non-existence. I don't know, if it's the same there vice versa, but you get the point.

Samsung S4 may sell well, but they can't keep the price that high for much longer. There's just too much competition. Also, the reviews are very often written by PC Magazines, focusing much on the specs i.e. processors, which is, quite nerdy. To an average consumer I don't think it matters much if the phone carries dual or quad-core. The price tag of 150 euros or 700 euros actually matters quite a lot.
    Apr 26, 2013. 02:48 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Nokia's Sad Death [View article]
    It's been a while since last bearish article about Nokia. A wind of change every once in a while does some good.

I still have to kindly disagree with the article. In my opinion, Nokia is highly innovative with their Lumia products. They are really distinctive from their Android / iPhone competitors. Nokia also has this same Lumia-look in every price range from 150 euros to 500 euros. They are becoming a huge hit in India, a country with 1,3 billion people.

Some may see trees, but I see a forest. Nokia is for those capable to see what's happening in the long term. Comparing short term results isn't going to get one anywhere.
    Apr 26, 2013. 04:14 AM | 31 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Can Nokia Succeed With Its Strategy? [View article]
    Yes, but in Q1 1/3 of WP phones sold were WP7.5 (Lumia 710, 800 and 900) and their ASP is quite comparative to the Lumia 620. Also, there were 500k Symbian smart phones sold, and their ASP is almost the same level as the mentioned. I won't be expecting a huge drop, if Lumia 928 and maybe some other new flag ship get released before the last half of this quarter.
    Apr 25, 2013. 03:44 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Can Nokia Succeed With Its Strategy? [View article]
    Weren't ASP of Lumias 191 euros in Q1? However I agree that it will drop by a little bit, to 186-187 euros I assume. Also, the gross profit margin was 20,7%, this may fall into 20%, but that remains to be seen. With these ASPs and profit margins and 10M Lumias sold the numbers would be quite different.
    Apr 25, 2013. 05:54 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment