Norman Tweed

View Norman Tweed's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Smucker's Coffee Business Prospects - A Long-Term View [View article]
    Thank you LD Investments for this update on generational coffee traits. One of the problems with coffee sales is the fact that older adults, like myself have been forced to cut back on coffee consumption at home--due to aging. I have been a long time holder of SJM since I received the spin off from PG. I really like the company and have seen the position double. I agree with JonBeGood that they are a well diversified and adaptive company. I have recommended it to my family members for their accounts.
    Aug 23, 2015. 04:21 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • SA Roundtable: Sectors To Buy/Avoid; Is Rebalancing Necessary? [View article]
    NV_Gary & relospecialist--
    Being retired for over 15 years, I hold 1 years expenses in a bank savings account which is my rainy day fund. I do not consider this investable. I also have a pension and social security which provide some income. My cash accounts for investment are funded by dividends received and I try to keep the balance up to 10% portfolio. Neither I nor my wife consider any bonds to be safe investments at the present time. Too much cash is a drag on returns.
    Aug 13, 2015. 08:31 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • SA Roundtable: Sectors To Buy/Avoid; Is Rebalancing Necessary? [View article]
    rhiannion:
    LNCO is now a leveraged bet on natural gas & oil for price appreciation. The industry is consolidating, but you are correct that LINE/LNCO has too much debt for most companies to consider. They still have 2 credit facilities, which they have not used (Quantum & Blackstone). I think they want to buy some companies in bankruptcy. I also believe they think they can ride the natural gas price out and perceive a rising demand for natural gas and this is how they have based their hedges for the next few years. If my concentration in the Energy sector was lower, I would be dollar cost averaging into LNCO as I was doing prior to the first dividend cut in January. I now will wait it out. If the price of gas jumps to $4/mmbtu, I think the price of LNCO will take a leveraged leap back to $12. In the long run, they will go back to paying 8% yield once they have reduced debt a LOT!
    Aug 13, 2015. 04:01 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • SA Roundtable: Sectors To Buy/Avoid; Is Rebalancing Necessary? [View article]
    Miz--LNCO reminds me of DDAIF, which I have held in the form of Chrysler and DDAIF since 1980. They all come back eventually if they don't get bought out. The key is to keep the allocation to a single stock low enough that you can ride it into the ground and still not get hurt too much.
    Aug 12, 2015. 03:17 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • SA Roundtable: Sectors To Buy/Avoid; Is Rebalancing Necessary? [View article]
    Thanks Tyler for inviting me to this discussion. You have presented a very good round-table and I particularly like the way you introduced each question.
    Aug 11, 2015. 03:15 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Comcast: Are They Succeeding Under Media Consolidation? [View instapost]
    David,

You have selected a good one! I'm helping my daughter & son-in-law build their portfolio and they both are risk averse. This pull back gives them a good entry price for this long-term holding. I consider this company to be in the consumer cyclical sector rather than its traditional heading of telecommunications.

Happy investing!
    Aug 9, 2015. 03:17 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividends & Income Digest: What's Going On With mREITs? [View article]
    Thank you Robyn for this interview of a distinguished group of authors. These are the people who keep me from making large mistakes in the current low yield environment. Cash flow has become paramount for me with RMDs and these people provide reassurance in times of dividend cutting on high yield investments.
    Aug 8, 2015. 04:06 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • With The Direct TV Acquisition, Is The AT&T Dividend Safe? [View instapost]
    Thanks OntheRock for your comments. I have held both T and VZ for a long time. I used to drip them, but now use the dividends (which pay tomorrow) for reinvestment in other stocks. The security of dividend and some dividend growth have endeared them to me--a forever hold!
    Aug 2, 2015. 03:06 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • With The Direct TV Acquisition, Is The AT&T Dividend Safe? [View instapost]
    Thanks for your comment, Dividend Nut. I believe now is the time to hunker down with secure dividend payments. I recommended XOM to my son-in-law for his energy exposure. He has waited as I have watched my LNCO suspend the dividend while the price heads for the exits. High yield isn't everything if it's not secure! The 75% of my portfolio in strong dividend growth stocks like you have keeps me afloat during times such as these.
    Aug 1, 2015. 09:02 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Cummins Just Raised Their Dividend 25% Is It A Buy Now? [View instapost]
    Mathieu--Thanks for the tip on VNR. I'm gun shy on oil and gas at present and still hold LNCO near the bottom.
    Jul 21, 2015. 03:15 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Cummins Just Raised Their Dividend 25% Is It A Buy Now? [View instapost]
    Eric--The last time I skipped the 3% yield point on NSC, I regretted it for years. You wrote an excellent article on CMI.
    Jul 21, 2015. 03:14 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Cummins Just Raised Their Dividend 25% Is It A Buy Now? [View instapost]
    Mathieu--Thanks for reading! I'm feeling better after a virus that gave me vertigo. I hope this series will be of benefit to you. I'm detailing investments for my son in law. We don't usually agree and it makes me expand my investigations.
    Jul 20, 2015. 03:09 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Union Pacific: A Play On Economic Recovery [View instapost]
    djsulli--Unfortunately, it has always been in my want category too. This could definitely be a down year and you may get your buy point.

However, I believe we are at the start of a new bull market and UNP will take advantage of intermodal and other freight in 2016 to set new records in earnings. The global economy is about to make major recoveries. I liked UNP at $100. My yield buy point has now been reduced to 2.5% or $88. That is pretty close to yours.
    Jul 19, 2015. 12:43 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Union Pacific: A Play On Economic Recovery [View instapost]
    Thanks T4 Y! Both you and my son in law think it is going lower. If it got to 73, it would be a 3% yield. I'm afraid it is more of a growth stock and not a yield play. I haven't gotten it yet either.
    Jul 19, 2015. 03:16 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Cummins Just Raised Their Dividend 25% Is It A Buy Now? [View instapost]
    You're quite welcome, Matt.
    Jul 18, 2015. 03:33 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment