Norman Tweed

View Norman Tweed's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Emerging Markets Index ETF (VWO) [View instapost]
    Larry ,

It seems to follow VWO quite well. The expense ratio is slightly lower at .14% for SCHE. It appears that you may have a good one there. Thanks for the symbol!
    Apr 27, 2015. 02:41 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Buy Vanguard Health Care ETF (VHT) 2015 Best Sector  [View instapost]
    The returns look great on FBIOX! It shows the takeoff on the chart in 2012 when the Baby Boomers started retiring in droves. The expense ratio is about 2x VGHAX which is a Vanguard fund. It is rated higher risk than VGHAX by Morningstar. I have FSLBX with Fidelity and it's chart was similar FBIOX when I purchased it. But it became cyclical around 2007. Fidelity seems to go for higher risk and higher reward.
    Apr 13, 2015. 03:13 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Buy Vanguard Health Care ETF (VHT) 2015 Best Sector  [View instapost]
    John Pharm--I had much of my money in Vanguard before I retired and still have about 50% of it with them. SBIO looks like a new issue ETF and there is little on it that I can find other than the fact that it is up 24% YTD. Thanks for the tip. I may check it out further. It is definitely in the right sector!
    Apr 10, 2015. 12:41 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Railroad Companies Have Been Losing Alpha Returns Over The Years [View article]
    Amtrak runs passenger service, class I railroads run freight, including oil tankers. You must compare freight railroads with other freight carriers like pipelines or trucks.
    Apr 5, 2015. 09:00 AM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 6 Solid Monthly Pay Dividend Dogs Drill 33-118% End-O-March Upsides [View article]
    Miz--There are many shareholders that agree with you. I would have preferred shares. However, from the contrarian point of view this back of the hand to shareholders will keep the stock price down if you are building a position. Who knows, the rights offering may provide a discount?
    Apr 2, 2015. 04:35 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Thank you Fredrik Arnold for this update on 6 monthly dividend stocks. I picked up PSEC yesterday @ $8.33 while the market was running away from it. I dollar cost average into it as my other cash dividends come in. At that price, it pays 12% yield.
    Mar 31, 2015. 04:21 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Don't Let Low Dividend Yields Keep You From Investing In These Great Companies [View article]
    Thank you Eric Landis for this well thought out high growth strategy for some dividend growth stocks. Several of my grandchildren drip some stocks on your list; ROST (2/1 split just announced) and CMCSA. They are quite pleased with the returns and plan on using the proceeds for college. I too, drip these 2 and suggest RTN with a slightly higher dividend yield for the industrials sector. My youngest granddaughter will be purchasing CHD for her consumer staples sector this year although the P/E remains so high. If you are interested in the health care sector, I would recommend the ETF, VHT. There are too many good stocks in that sector.
    Mar 27, 2015. 09:07 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Millennial Market Philosophy [View instapost]
    Dividend Nut--

You and I both are skittish on banks! It took several years for me to get over my fear of them and have gradually moved into mREITs like AGNC and MTGE. Last year I stepped up to a BDC, PSEC, remembering how ACAS went down during the Great Recession. PSEC cut their dividend at the beginning of 2015, but I have been dollar cost averaging in at 12% yield and have only accumulated a 1/5 position. I still hold the legacy mutual fund FSLBX from my working days, but am drawing it down for expenses each year. I am looking at BX and AMP when the interest rate starts rising for Fed Funds. However, I am still under invested in this sector having only 9.8% allocation to it, not counting the mREITs since they are considered Real Estate. I have definitely come closer to the 14.6% in the past 2 years and will continue to build the position in PSEC this year.
    Mar 24, 2015. 04:04 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Millennial Market Philosophy [View instapost]
    shodgi,

My statement on Millennial temperament comes from the fact that they are a 'Y' generation. Strauss & Howe say their Myers Briggs temperament is generally characterized by NT or intuitive & thinking. They are highly scientific and problem solving. In addition, they vote liberal (such as Franklin Roosevelt and Obama). They are also known as the 'Hero' generation since they are willing to be rough if called on. They don't over-think official orders!
    Mar 24, 2015. 03:16 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Millennial Market Philosophy [View instapost]
    OntheRock,

I'm glad you enjoyed my outlook piece on the next several years. I have never added to my initial position in RTN other than dripping it. I started the position at the 4% yield point and have not seen any extreme bargains like that since. My TweedFactor still calls for it to be a buy at +4.93. My problem is that I allocate according to SPY sectors and my allocation to industrials sector, of which RTN is an industry, is already at 9.4% of total portfolio with SPY total of 12% there is not much room other than dripping. As the position size gets bigger, so does the number of dripped shares each quarter. However, if I was under invested in that sector, it is a great buy now! They are moving into cyber security which is one of the most important defense industries now as it is in commercial computing. http://seekingalpha.co...

I hope that helps.

Norman
    Mar 22, 2015. 02:43 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Millennial Market Philosophy [View instapost]
    NO $ PLEASE--Thank you for your comments. I have followed Harry Dent since his first book on this subject back in the 1990s The Great Boom Ahead. I agree that the Idealist Generation (Baby Boomers) first hit their spending stride in 1989 at age 46. I use demographic definitions for the generations from Strauss & Howe. This cycle is based on the life cycle of the Baby Boomers and the pickup in the economy now is based on health care for that retiring generation. If you look back on the Great Power Cycle 1866-1945 you will note that the GI generation (1901-1924) a Y generation turned 43 in 1942 and presided over the 'high' of our current cycle from 1942-1965 (24 years). They showed irrational exuberance in their purchase of stocks and bonds and pulled the country out of the Great Depression. Generations were longer back then with today's generations only lasting about 18 years. I picked 9 years as the halfway point in the generation when the majority of the participants are in midlife.
    Mar 22, 2015. 03:18 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Contenders: 26 Increases Expected In The Next 11 Weeks [View article]
    kolpin & hjtheuns:

RTN came through about where I thought it would. They still are a buy according to my Tweed Factor (yield + 5yr dividend growth rate)-P/E. I continue to drip this stock and note a 26% average annual return over the period 2011-2015. This is one stock that I have not added to other than the drip since my initial purchase. My youngest granddaughter holds it too in her college fund. It has about tripled for me during the 4yr holding period.
    Mar 19, 2015. 04:20 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Portfolio Of 30 Getting Rid Of Earnings Deceleration [View article]
    Perhaps you could try the VHT ETF. It has done well for me and my grandchildren for the past several years. If you are willing to try a mutual fund, VGHAX is even better!
    Mar 17, 2015. 03:13 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks David Fish for this update on Dividend Contenders. I'm looking forward to the RTN dividend increase and would be happy with 10%. I am also looking at a new financial holding; AMP. The yield is low, but the dividend growth rate is high.
    Mar 16, 2015. 04:02 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Portfolio Of 30 Getting Rid Of Earnings Deceleration [View article]
    Thank you Abba's Aces for the update on your portfolio. It appears that the health care sector is up this year as it has been the past several years. I like your concept of mimicking the allocation of SPY with the 'best in breed' stocks. You might want to look at another health care company for a long-term hold to take advantage of the continuing Baby Boom retirement.
    Mar 16, 2015. 03:33 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment