Norman Tweed

View Norman Tweed's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Main Street Capital Corporation A Safer BDC To Hold [View instapost]
    Thanks Dick Phillips for commenting.

I had the same feeling about PSEC as you did. This is why I had my daughter buy MAIN. I like the semiannual special dividends and agree that the yields are close taking that and the dividend growth rate of MAIN into account.

Since I only started with a 1/4 position last year in PSEC and was investing other dividends into it each month, the dividend cut was on a 30% full position rather than a full position. This is why I continue to play with it as a speculation--only buying small chunks monthly when the price is way down. I understand your frustration with PSEC, especially if purchased all at once. I can no longer consider it a core holding in the financial sector.
    Jun 27, 2015. 02:11 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Main Street Capital Corporation A Safer BDC To Hold [View instapost]
    Be Here Now,

Thank you for commenting and your synopsis of the traditional 2 and 20 management fees of the traditional hedge fund for PSEC. I wasn't worried about that last year when I bought into PSEC, since they still had a slowly rising dividend and the highest yield of all the BDCs.

However, when the cut the dividend this year, they got my attention. I have been following the compensation of the external management and did a blog post a week or so ago

I agree with you that my daughter's cash account in her business can't afford to lose value.

On the other hand, the P/E ratio for PSEC is 8.15 and the yield is up to 13.33%. It is a speculation now, but I bought some at the open for my IRA account yesterday. As a long term hold, it is questionable and in the next year I will compare my position in PSEC with my daughter's position in MAIN. I may need to switch my own account.
    Jun 27, 2015. 01:01 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Main Street Capital Corporation A Safer BDC To Hold [View instapost]
    Thanks for your comment Dividend Nut! I think yesterday's action is exactly what will happen in the ongoing future for both of these BDCs. Flight to quality is the word for rising interest rates when dealing with high yield investments. MAIN is perceived to be quality with good coverage of the dividend and room to grow the portfolio. Whereas PSEC pays a high yield now and dropped precipitously with the prospect of higher interest rates. What props PSEC up is the high yield as long as they don't cut the dividend. What props MAIN up is the growth potential of the company with growing dividends and internal management.
    Jun 27, 2015. 09:21 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Contenders: 25 Increases Expected By The End Of August [View article]
    Thank you David Fish for this update on Dividend Contender dividend increases expected. I am watching SJM and hope for another 10% increase. My youngest granddaughter is also looking to start a position in it. They have moved into the pet food business this year and seem to be doing well at it.
    Jun 17, 2015. 04:01 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Triangle Capital (TCAP) My New BDC [View instapost]
    Dick Phillips--Thanks for your comments. I didn't go as far as you when I bought TCAP. The yield is slightly higher and a much less volatile stock than PSEC. When you get old like us, the bills keep rolling in and you need cash flow to cover them!
    Jun 9, 2015. 03:04 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Triangle Capital (TCAP) My New BDC [View instapost]
    Thanks for the link, Be Here Now!
    Jun 7, 2015. 03:05 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Triangle Capital (TCAP) My New BDC [View instapost]
    Thanks Miz!
    Jun 7, 2015. 03:04 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Triangle Capital (TCAP) My New BDC [View instapost]
    learning to be patient with...

Thank you for commenting. I have looked at BDCL and find individual BDCs to provide better yield. However, I could not find bdcs. With the 2x leverage BDCL pays a higher yield of 17% which I like. When compared to TCAP however, it shows the same loss in total return that I tried to get away from with PSEC. LMLP has a slightly higher yield than TCAP of 12% and tracks TCAP pretty well in 2015. It seems to have a short track record of a year. I like the monthly pay of LMLP, since cash flow is what I'm trying to get.

Thanks for the ideas!
    Jun 6, 2015. 03:13 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Champions: 9 Increases Expected By The End Of July [View article]
    David--Thanks for your explanation of TweedFactor. I have found it to work exceptionally well for a first pass on dividend growth stocks.
    May 17, 2015. 12:13 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Union Pacific: How To Trade Around A Core Position [View article]
    Thank you Ray Merola for your trading history on the core position UNP. My daughter is in the trucking business and also sees the uptick in freight haulage now. I have advised that she diversify her position in transportation stocks with UNP.

Her business does not trade actively, only adding to core positions in the S&P GICS sectors. I agree than UNP is a fine core position.
    May 17, 2015. 09:32 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Champions: 9 Increases Expected By The End Of July [View article]
    Thank you David Fish for this update on expected Dividend Champion increases. I have been watching LOW closely, but it is just under my TweedFactor buy level for this year but rising next year. With the economy picking up, it should be a buy soon.
    May 17, 2015. 04:09 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Union Pacific: A Play On Economic Recovery [View instapost]
    Thanks DG Ruralist for your comments. You have done well by your son in setting up the custodial account. I have done this for my grandchildren and talk with them about investments as long as they will listen. The 2 year old granddaughter is just learning to talk and seems puzzled when I talk investments.

I agree--Buy, hold and drip.
    May 12, 2015. 09:23 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Union Pacific: A Play On Economic Recovery [View instapost]
    Thank you dbchambers for your comments! I agree with you and see it continuing up until at least 2025.
    May 12, 2015. 07:22 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Top Dividend Monthly Pay Dogs: May Listing [View article]
    Thank you Fredrik Arnold for this update on Monthly Pay Dogs. My dividend on AGNC was paid Friday and my order is in for PSEC @ $7.69 or 13% yield. If I still haven't gotten shares by the 21st when PSEC pays its dividend, I'll raise my offer price. I consider any yield above 12% to be pure gravy.
    May 12, 2015. 04:12 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Union Pacific: A Play On Economic Recovery [View instapost]
    Miz--I used to live on the main line of CSX in Richmond. When I first moved there it was the RF&P. I'd hear the trains rumbling through each night, but it was music to my ears. I wanted to own a railroad back then, but never quite bought one. When you want a railroad, it gets in your blood and you just have to buy it!
    May 12, 2015. 03:26 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment