Norman Tweed

View Norman Tweed's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Dividend Champions: 9 Increases Expected By The End Of July [View article]
    David--Thanks for your explanation of TweedFactor. I have found it to work exceptionally well for a first pass on dividend growth stocks.
    May 17, 2015. 12:13 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Union Pacific: How To Trade Around A Core Position [View article]
    Thank you Ray Merola for your trading history on the core position UNP. My daughter is in the trucking business and also sees the uptick in freight haulage now. I have advised that she diversify her position in transportation stocks with UNP.

Her business does not trade actively, only adding to core positions in the S&P GICS sectors. I agree than UNP is a fine core position.
    May 17, 2015. 09:32 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Champions: 9 Increases Expected By The End Of July [View article]
    Thank you David Fish for this update on expected Dividend Champion increases. I have been watching LOW closely, but it is just under my TweedFactor buy level for this year but rising next year. With the economy picking up, it should be a buy soon.
    May 17, 2015. 04:09 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Union Pacific: A Play On Economic Recovery [View instapost]
    Thanks DG Ruralist for your comments. You have done well by your son in setting up the custodial account. I have done this for my grandchildren and talk with them about investments as long as they will listen. The 2 year old granddaughter is just learning to talk and seems puzzled when I talk investments.

I agree--Buy, hold and drip.
    May 12, 2015. 09:23 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Union Pacific: A Play On Economic Recovery [View instapost]
    Thank you dbchambers for your comments! I agree with you and see it continuing up until at least 2025.
    May 12, 2015. 07:22 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Top Dividend Monthly Pay Dogs: May Listing [View article]
    Thank you Fredrik Arnold for this update on Monthly Pay Dogs. My dividend on AGNC was paid Friday and my order is in for PSEC @ $7.69 or 13% yield. If I still haven't gotten shares by the 21st when PSEC pays its dividend, I'll raise my offer price. I consider any yield above 12% to be pure gravy.
    May 12, 2015. 04:12 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Union Pacific: A Play On Economic Recovery [View instapost]
    Miz--I used to live on the main line of CSX in Richmond. When I first moved there it was the RF&P. I'd hear the trains rumbling through each night, but it was music to my ears. I wanted to own a railroad back then, but never quite bought one. When you want a railroad, it gets in your blood and you just have to buy it!
    May 12, 2015. 03:26 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Union Pacific: A Play On Economic Recovery [View instapost]
    Thanks Rose for your comments. It has taken me a long time to get to this decision, but now that I have it will be carried through. There have been several articles on UNP at Seeking Alpha and many have been good. I have also read several histories on it (including E H Harriman biography). There is a lot of history with this one!
    May 11, 2015. 03:09 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Union Pacific: A Play On Economic Recovery [View instapost]
    Thanks David for your comment! Your's is a well respected position on this holding. I have been talking with my son in law about transportation stocks for his portfolio (he runs a trucking company) and I thought UNP would be a good diversification in transportation for him.
    May 11, 2015. 03:06 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Emerging Markets Index ETF (VWO) [View instapost]
    Larry ,

It seems to follow VWO quite well. The expense ratio is slightly lower at .14% for SCHE. It appears that you may have a good one there. Thanks for the symbol!
    Apr 27, 2015. 02:41 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Buy Vanguard Health Care ETF (VHT) 2015 Best Sector  [View instapost]
    The returns look great on FBIOX! It shows the takeoff on the chart in 2012 when the Baby Boomers started retiring in droves. The expense ratio is about 2x VGHAX which is a Vanguard fund. It is rated higher risk than VGHAX by Morningstar. I have FSLBX with Fidelity and it's chart was similar FBIOX when I purchased it. But it became cyclical around 2007. Fidelity seems to go for higher risk and higher reward.
    Apr 13, 2015. 03:13 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Buy Vanguard Health Care ETF (VHT) 2015 Best Sector  [View instapost]
    John Pharm--I had much of my money in Vanguard before I retired and still have about 50% of it with them. SBIO looks like a new issue ETF and there is little on it that I can find other than the fact that it is up 24% YTD. Thanks for the tip. I may check it out further. It is definitely in the right sector!
    Apr 10, 2015. 12:41 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Railroad Companies Have Been Losing Alpha Returns Over The Years [View article]
    Amtrak runs passenger service, class I railroads run freight, including oil tankers. You must compare freight railroads with other freight carriers like pipelines or trucks.
    Apr 5, 2015. 09:00 AM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 6 Solid Monthly Pay Dividend Dogs Drill 33-118% End-O-March Upsides [View article]
    Miz--There are many shareholders that agree with you. I would have preferred shares. However, from the contrarian point of view this back of the hand to shareholders will keep the stock price down if you are building a position. Who knows, the rights offering may provide a discount?
    Apr 2, 2015. 04:35 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Thank you Fredrik Arnold for this update on 6 monthly dividend stocks. I picked up PSEC yesterday @ $8.33 while the market was running away from it. I dollar cost average into it as my other cash dividends come in. At that price, it pays 12% yield.
    Mar 31, 2015. 04:21 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment