Norman Tweed

View Norman Tweed's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Don't Let Low Dividend Yields Keep You From Investing In These Great Companies [View article]
    Thank you Eric Landis for this well thought out high growth strategy for some dividend growth stocks. Several of my grandchildren drip some stocks on your list; ROST (2/1 split just announced) and CMCSA. They are quite pleased with the returns and plan on using the proceeds for college. I too, drip these 2 and suggest RTN with a slightly higher dividend yield for the industrials sector. My youngest granddaughter will be purchasing CHD for her consumer staples sector this year although the P/E remains so high. If you are interested in the health care sector, I would recommend the ETF, VHT. There are too many good stocks in that sector.
    Mar 27, 2015. 09:07 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Millennial Market Philosophy [View instapost]
    Dividend Nut--

You and I both are skittish on banks! It took several years for me to get over my fear of them and have gradually moved into mREITs like AGNC and MTGE. Last year I stepped up to a BDC, PSEC, remembering how ACAS went down during the Great Recession. PSEC cut their dividend at the beginning of 2015, but I have been dollar cost averaging in at 12% yield and have only accumulated a 1/5 position. I still hold the legacy mutual fund FSLBX from my working days, but am drawing it down for expenses each year. I am looking at BX and AMP when the interest rate starts rising for Fed Funds. However, I am still under invested in this sector having only 9.8% allocation to it, not counting the mREITs since they are considered Real Estate. I have definitely come closer to the 14.6% in the past 2 years and will continue to build the position in PSEC this year.
    Mar 24, 2015. 04:04 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Millennial Market Philosophy [View instapost]
    shodgi,

My statement on Millennial temperament comes from the fact that they are a 'Y' generation. Strauss & Howe say their Myers Briggs temperament is generally characterized by NT or intuitive & thinking. They are highly scientific and problem solving. In addition, they vote liberal (such as Franklin Roosevelt and Obama). They are also known as the 'Hero' generation since they are willing to be rough if called on. They don't over-think official orders!
    Mar 24, 2015. 03:16 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Millennial Market Philosophy [View instapost]
    OntheRock,

I'm glad you enjoyed my outlook piece on the next several years. I have never added to my initial position in RTN other than dripping it. I started the position at the 4% yield point and have not seen any extreme bargains like that since. My TweedFactor still calls for it to be a buy at +4.93. My problem is that I allocate according to SPY sectors and my allocation to industrials sector, of which RTN is an industry, is already at 9.4% of total portfolio with SPY total of 12% there is not much room other than dripping. As the position size gets bigger, so does the number of dripped shares each quarter. However, if I was under invested in that sector, it is a great buy now! They are moving into cyber security which is one of the most important defense industries now as it is in commercial computing. http://seekingalpha.co...

I hope that helps.

Norman
    Mar 22, 2015. 02:43 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Millennial Market Philosophy [View instapost]
    NO $ PLEASE--Thank you for your comments. I have followed Harry Dent since his first book on this subject back in the 1990s The Great Boom Ahead. I agree that the Idealist Generation (Baby Boomers) first hit their spending stride in 1989 at age 46. I use demographic definitions for the generations from Strauss & Howe. This cycle is based on the life cycle of the Baby Boomers and the pickup in the economy now is based on health care for that retiring generation. If you look back on the Great Power Cycle 1866-1945 you will note that the GI generation (1901-1924) a Y generation turned 43 in 1942 and presided over the 'high' of our current cycle from 1942-1965 (24 years). They showed irrational exuberance in their purchase of stocks and bonds and pulled the country out of the Great Depression. Generations were longer back then with today's generations only lasting about 18 years. I picked 9 years as the halfway point in the generation when the majority of the participants are in midlife.
    Mar 22, 2015. 03:18 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Contenders: 26 Increases Expected In The Next 11 Weeks [View article]
    kolpin & hjtheuns:

RTN came through about where I thought it would. They still are a buy according to my Tweed Factor (yield + 5yr dividend growth rate)-P/E. I continue to drip this stock and note a 26% average annual return over the period 2011-2015. This is one stock that I have not added to other than the drip since my initial purchase. My youngest granddaughter holds it too in her college fund. It has about tripled for me during the 4yr holding period.
    Mar 19, 2015. 04:20 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Portfolio Of 30 Getting Rid Of Earnings Deceleration [View article]
    Perhaps you could try the VHT ETF. It has done well for me and my grandchildren for the past several years. If you are willing to try a mutual fund, VGHAX is even better!
    Mar 17, 2015. 03:13 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks David Fish for this update on Dividend Contenders. I'm looking forward to the RTN dividend increase and would be happy with 10%. I am also looking at a new financial holding; AMP. The yield is low, but the dividend growth rate is high.
    Mar 16, 2015. 04:02 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Portfolio Of 30 Getting Rid Of Earnings Deceleration [View article]
    Thank you Abba's Aces for the update on your portfolio. It appears that the health care sector is up this year as it has been the past several years. I like your concept of mimicking the allocation of SPY with the 'best in breed' stocks. You might want to look at another health care company for a long-term hold to take advantage of the continuing Baby Boom retirement.
    Mar 16, 2015. 03:33 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Frontier's $10.54 Billion Bet [View article]
    Thank you Crunching Numbers for your update on your FTR investment. I followed you into FTR a couple of years ago at 17% yield and learned about their management's concept of 'truth'. I held on reinvesting the dividends and gaining the return of capital until last spring when it took the first jump. I got out and have not looked back. I had to reevaluate my exposure to the telecommunications sector. My major holdings were T and VZ and had been for my family since the 1930s. FTR was a speculation! I was over-invested in telecommunications and still am, holding T, VZ, and CTL in that order. I now believe that CTL is a speculation since they cut their dividend and am looking to get out of it when the time is appropriate. Some of my proceeds from FTR went into LNCO (oil & gas) and some went into PSEC (financials). Both cut the dividend at the beginning of this year. However, the yields are around 12% instead of 8% and I feel a lot better about it. I reinvest in PSEC and was doing so in LNCO until the oil sector collapsed last fall.

You are to be commended for your stamina in holding onto FTR and making lemonade out of lemons. I got tired of fighting it and jumped into oil, but I like the higher yield that my new investments provide.
    Mar 12, 2015. 10:43 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Best Outright Monthly Pay Dividend Dogs: March Listings [View article]
    Thank you Fredrik Arnold for this update on MoPay dividend stocks. I'm still hanging in there with LNCO and hope that their concentration on natural gas will fulfill your prediction of 41% increase. I believe an 8% yield is justified on this stock and agree with the $15 future price. I am still accumulating a position in PSEC and picked up another lot yesterday at $8.65 when my dividend arrived from AGNC. Times are turbulent!
    Mar 10, 2015. 12:36 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Global Economy Is The Theme Of The First Quarter For JPMorgan [View article]
    Thank you Abba's Aces for your take on J P Morgan. With the constant banter about Fed Funds possible rate increase in June, do you think the entire financial sector will rise? Here's hoping!
    Mar 8, 2015. 04:40 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Growth IRA Portfolio Update [View article]
    NV_GARY-
    These are all dividend growth stocks which I treat as growth stocks with safety margin of some dividend + dividend growth. They are long-term holds + drip. When you have 18 years to spare before you need to draw down, one can afford low yields.
    Mar 1, 2015. 03:18 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Which Is The Better BDC: TCAP Or PSEC? [View instapost]
    gawilley: You are quite welcome!
    Feb 28, 2015. 04:53 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Which Is The Better BDC: TCAP Or PSEC? [View instapost]
    Dividend Nut: I have been buying it for a year with every IRA dollar that comes in through dividends. I have 1/5 of a position and building, you can't beat the low P/E price 9.01. I have been holding for $8.33, with current order, but will buy it this coming Friday when AGNC pays the monthly at the current price. I think they are afraid to cut the dividend again and I think the Fed Funds rate will be rising in June. They make money as the interest rate goes up. I think the price of oil will go up and this year will be similar to 2009. It should be good for BDCs, especially those that have already cut the dividend. I am not making large purchases on purpose, since I have been buying down for a year.
    Feb 28, 2015. 04:53 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment