Norman Tweed

View Norman Tweed's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Nucor: A Great Company, Just Not a Great Time to Buy It [View article]
    Thanks D4L for the update on NUE. I agree that with a p/e of 68.73, even a high dividend growth rate cannot compensate for lack of earnings. I like the fact that the debt to total assets ratio is only 0.41. It appears that earnings are positive for 2010, although not near the 2008 level-but well in excess of the 2009 loss. Cyclical stocks are difficult to analyze, but I think you have found a winner in Nucor. I remember back in the 1970s when Dominion Virginia Power got it's first Nucor plant.
    Jan 10 09:01 AM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 11 Foreign Stocks With Dividend Yields Over 5% [View article]
    Thanks David Hunkar for some high dividend paying foreign stocks. It appears that global telecommunications companies have some of the highest yields.
    Jan 10 08:25 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • December Dividend Portfolio Progress Report: Leggett & Platt, Universal Health YOC's Rise [View article]
    Thanks D4L for the update to your real life Dividend Portfolio. Congratulations on meeting your $11,000 annual income from dividends goal.
    Jan 10 08:06 AM | 10 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Winning the Loser's Game: Getting Reacquainted With Charles Ellis [View article]
    Thanks Wade for the great book report on "Winning the Loser's Game". When I first read this book, it changed my investing perspective immensely! It is difficult at times to stay the course, but it pays off in the long run, especially if you have created a good plan.
    Jan 10 05:06 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Highest Yielding, Highest Momentum Dividend Champions [View article]
    Thanks Scott's Investments for this screen. You have turned up several stocks for further due diligence. I will own CTL through my Q shares. MSA has a high p/e ratio at 28.29 which seems to be unjustified by the deceleration in dividend growth rate last year only 3.1% growth. DBD seems to have a similar problem with last years dividend growth rate at 3.8% and the 10 year dividend growth rate at 5.7%, while the p/e is 21.05. MGEE energy has a low dividend growth rate of 1.7% last year, but with the yield of 3.5% and only a 57.84% payout ratio the price chart looks intriguing. The growth in earnings last year of 15.9% and 10% for the past 2 years makes the p/e of 16.71 seem low.
    Jan 10 04:33 AM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Champions Smackdown IX [View article]
    I have owned SJM since I received the spinoff from PG in 2002. They are committed to the shareholder. Each time they buy more PG companies, they give you a special dividend as a sweetener. They are family run, by the Smuckers brothers, and have a long history of strong brand recognition. Their stock price goes down with sector rotation and when it becomes depressed, it is time to buy. I buy them through dividend reinvestment, but when their price is abnormally low, like March 2009, Feb 2006, or September 2001, I throw a little extra in. They should go up until late 2012, but it may be delayed by commodity prices like with PG.
    Jan 9 10:03 AM | 8 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 3 Consecutive Double-Digit Years for the S&P 500? [View article]
    Thanks Chuck for a great forecast for 2011 based on your Fast Graphs. Could it be that the p/e ratio for the market is reverting to lower levels due to irrational pessimism? In 1980, it had dropped to low levels due to the Great Inflation.
    Jan 9 08:53 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Champions Smackdown IX [View article]
    Thanks David Fish for the bonus Smackdown IX. I didn't know that CLX was a mid cap, it has a high dividend growth rate like other mid caps. I own SJM and am glad to see it made the list of mid cap Contenders. I especially like LLL and am glad it made the mid cap Challengers list. I dealt a lot with Harris Corp in the 1980s and 1990s and am glad to see their growth since that time and the fact that they made your mid cap Challenger list.
    Jan 9 08:30 AM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 10 Dividend Stocks Poised for Growth [View article]
    Chowder- You have made a portfolio that's right for you! It has the charms of an index fund, for diversification, but created by you and equal weighted. You could use a benchmark of some dividend ETF like SDY to compare your portfolio to. I only learned after 2000 that index funds don't always beat good stock selection.
    Jan 8 08:17 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Life After iPhone: Outlook for AT&T [View article]
    Thanks Trefis for the question on T's 4G. I have just gotten a VZ 4G usb modem, but out here in Bumpass, it only runs on 3G. I think that speed will be everything in the near future and the sooner T gets 4G out and widespread, the better. It is bad enough having to download at 3AM, but I'm used to that having been on satellite.
    Jan 7 04:06 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Could Merck Be the Top Dow Dividend Stock in 2011? [View article]
    Thanks eChristian Investing for the upbeat information on MRK. I own it and sure hope you're right!
    Jan 7 02:26 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Stock Analysis: Diageo [View article]
    Thanks DGI for the good analysis of DEO. I find it to be over priced with a yield + 10 year dividend growth rate of 9 vs a p/e of 17.5. However, the projected earnings growth for 2011 and 2012 bring the Gordon number to 18 making this fairly valued on a projected earnings basis.
    Jan 7 05:41 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 2 Dividend Stocks Building Future Yield and 10 Going Ex-Dividend [View article]
    Thanks D4L for a good list of dividend growth stocks. OZRK seems to be a rapid dividend increaser with a long history of several increases per year. With the new .17 dividend, the four quarter yield would be 1.56%. With a 10 year dividend growth rate of 19% this stock is under valued (p/e 13.16). Further due dilligence is necessary on this financial stock (90% debt to total assets mostly current), but the current year 13% increase, low payout ratio of 19.22% make it worth the study.
    Jan 7 05:30 AM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Four Top Areas for Dividend Stocks in 2011 [View article]
    Thanks DM for a good overall look at dividend growth stocks in general. You left out defense stocks. Many appear to be beaten down and good dividend payers with good growth rates. LLL, LMT, UTX, NOC and GD come to mind.
    Jan 6 02:59 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 10 Dividend Stocks Poised for Growth [View article]
    Thanks Chuck for the graphic insight into valuation of dividend growth stocks. I have witnessed PG's stagnation in price and your graph has explained why it is happening. Your analogy of bonds reverting to the mean vs stocks reverting to the mean gives hope to future p/e increases in these strong dividend payers. It appears that LLL is grossly under valued and I will study this stock again. LMT has a higher dividend, but their debt ratio is high. The health care stocks appear ready for reversion to their mean higher valuations, especially MDT.
    Jan 6 05:30 AM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment