Norman Tweed

View Norman Tweed's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Intel: A High Dividend Yield Stock for Your Core Portfolio [View article]
    JWolf- You make a good point about the high payout ratio of INTC. I still consider them a good yielding dividend growth stock. However, if they can't divert more of their cash flow to dividend coverage, the future growth rate of dividend increases is in doubt.
    Feb 1, 2011. 04:56 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel/AMD Earnings Underscore Shift to Tablet Market [View article]
    Thanks Trefis for the interactive tool. I can now work out how the price can be affected by various segments of INTC business. I will buy this stock, but am waiting for a dip to $18. My initial guess at how to do this showed $17.25 giving INTC the server market and taking away share in other markets.
    Jan 31, 2011. 03:37 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Four Large-Cap Utilities With High Return on Invested Capital and Solid Dividends [View article]
    Thanks George for the article on utilities. I own D and note that growth of computer server business in the Northern Virginia area will provide server farms for the Internet and government. This could eventually add needed load growth.
    Jan 31, 2011. 03:27 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Be Contrarian; Believe a 'Real' Bull Market Is Starting [View article]
    Advill- I think the generation that you are talking about is Gen X. They are the ones saving for retirement now as the Baby Boomers leave the work force. They have different goals than the Baby Boomers.
    Jan 31, 2011. 03:09 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Investing Case Study: A Low Volatility Equity Income Portfolio [View article]
    Thanks Scott's Investments for this article on low volatility equity income portfolio. I like many of the stocks on your screen and own SJM, and PG. I have researched many of the others, especially JNJ and feel that they would be good buys.
    Jan 31, 2011. 02:23 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 14 Stocks Raising Dividends Like Clockwork [View article]
    Thanks DGI for the list of dividend increasers. I was glad to see SJM on your list and have owned it in a drip since it was spun off from PG. I prefer dividend yields of 3% and look for a dividend yield + dividend growth rate of at least the p/e ratio. INTC is one such stock worth looking at.
    Jan 31, 2011. 02:04 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Becton Dickinson: My Only Hesitation Is the Low Dividend Yield [View article]
    Thanks D4L for the analysis of BDX. I find the yield (2%) + the dividend growth rate last year of only 12% justifies a p/e of 14 vs the current p/e of 15.09. There is price appreciation, but it appears to be cyclical since 2008. I would hold off for a dip to $77.
    Jan 31, 2011. 01:44 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Be Contrarian; Believe a 'Real' Bull Market Is Starting [View article]
    I believe that a secular bear market is here with bull runs of 5 years up and 1.5 years down. We have had 2 of these bubbles and will have 2 more before the secular bear market is over. We have 2 more years of uptrend now.
    Jan 31, 2011. 05:36 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 39 Companies Expected to Raise Their Dividends in February [View article]
    David- SJM has raised their dividend by 10%.
    Jan 30, 2011. 03:00 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 28 Dividend Stocks Acting Like a Money Machine [View article]

April May- When investing in foreign funds, ETFs are one way to do it on the US exchange- VWO, EEM, VEA etc. These buy a basket of foreign stocks and are share classes of mutual funds or separate funds. I have a few pink sheet foreign stocks DDAIF.pk (used to be Daimler and before that Chrysler). VOD is an ADR foreign stock that is traded on the US exchange. When you are buying ADRs or other foreign stocks, you have to know what you are buying. I bought CYD and found out after I bought it that it had a "golden share" which trumped all other shares in voting. It is difficult to research foreign stocks. They have semi annual dividends or once per year dividends. They are many times based on a foreign currency and there are foreign tax consequences. You can get into foreign stocks slowly as you learn, but if you are not ready to dig, buy the ETF.
    Jan 30, 2011. 02:56 PM | 8 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 28 Dividend Stocks Acting Like a Money Machine [View article]
    Hi Hollywood65- You ask a very good question. One answer is that many people don't have the time to fool with investments. Another thought is fear of loss-people would rather have someone else take responsibility for their money and possible losses. You can do much better domestically with your own stock picks, but it takes time and effort. You need to know what your objective is. Mine is dividend growth investment to bring in a constantly increasing stream of dividends from safe companies to supplement Social Security.
    Jan 30, 2011. 12:58 PM | 20 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 5 Companies Raising Their Dividends Now [View article]
    Thanks Mark for a good list of dividend increasing stocks. I have owned SJM in a drip since it was spun off from PG. I like INTC and will buy on dips. LTD looks like a good stock for further study.
    Jan 30, 2011. 08:57 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Egypt Update: Egypt ETF, Centamin and Commercial International Bank on the Run [View article]
    Thanks EM for the update on Egypt. I hadn't thought about the effects of the upheaval on stocks. I would think the diversification among countries that VOD enjoys should buffer them from too much price correction.

Long VOD
    Jan 30, 2011. 05:28 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 28 Dividend Stocks Acting Like a Money Machine [View article]
    Thanks D4L for the list of dividend increasers. I was pleased to find SJM among them and am long with that one. I am watching INTC and hope to buy on a dip.
    Jan 30, 2011. 05:23 AM | 8 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Best in Breed Dividend Stocks: Core Holdings for the Long-Term Investor [View article]
    Thanks Craig Walendziak for a good selection of Best of Breed dividend stocks. I like your picks of MCD, JNJ but would prefer COP (p/e 9.58, yield 3.1%) to CVX and D (p/e 10.31, yield 4.5%, DGR1yr 4.6%) to SO with 4% 1yr DGR. I look forward to your part 2.
    Jan 30, 2011. 05:08 AM | 8 Likes Like |Link to Comment