Norman Tweed

View Norman Tweed's Comments BY TICKER:
  • The S&P 500 2010 Target of 1254 Reached [View article]
    Chuck- Congratulations on your prediction of 1254 and the confirmation by the market. I have learned a lot from this series about valuation of securities. This has been a real life course for me.
    Dec 23 04:47 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Pocket Change Portfolio Update: Added Medtronic and Cincinnati Financial [View article]
    MR.C-I always reinvest the dividends at Vanguard. It is free and takes all the worry out of reinvestment. I spent a long time researching these stocks and find them to be the best investments I can reinvest in.
    Dec 23 04:10 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 10 Top Ranked Dividend Champions [View article]
    I like T for the high yield. The growth rate is low, 5.4% 10 year and 2.38% this year. With a p/e of 7.88 vs. a yield + 10yr growth rate of 7.8 it is fairly priced. I look at it from a 20 year standpoint. With this yield + growth and a constant share price for the next 20 years, you end up with 1 share becoming 3.27 with just reinvested dividends and no additional investment. CINF is a financial stock, in which I would be careful to study more than financial numbers. However, as a first pass, the yield is 5.31% and the 10 year dividend growth rate is 10%. In 20 years you will have 2.77 shares for each one you initially invested in.
    Dec 22 01:15 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Exxon Mobil: Is the 'King of Oils' a Good Buy for 2011? [View article]
    Thanks Ray Merola for the analysis of XOM. I agree that XOM is a strong company. From a dividend growth investor standpoint, I want to see a 3% dividend yield vs current yield of 2.4%. The 10 year dividend growth rate has been 7.1% and the 5yr has been 9.4% with current year's growth rate of 4.76%. The current p/e of 12.88 is close to the 5yr growth rate of 9.4% + the yield of 2.4%=11.8. I would hold out for a price of $57 (as reached April 2010).
    Dec 22 09:41 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 20 Assorted Growth, Value and Dividend Stocks for 2011 [View article]
    Thanks D4L for an expanded list of stocks for the holidays. From the standpoint of diversification it always helps to have growth stocks and other sectors and styles to look at in addition to large cap dividend growth stocks.
    Dec 22 08:35 AM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Aristocrat List for 2011 [View article]
    Thanks DGI for the update on the Dividend Aristocrats. I especially like your miniaturized list. At present the best momentum stock on your screen is MCD.
    Dec 22 07:49 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 10 Top Ranked Dividend Champions [View article]
    Thanks Scott's Investments for the screen of Dividend Champions. I prefer 3% yield or better as the first screen. My next one would be 10 year dividend growth rate >p/e ratio. Your screen identified 2 stocks for my further study-T & CINF.
    Dec 22 07:42 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Secret 6% Dividend Revealed [View article]
    Thanks Ian Watt for the mention of NPK. With a p/e of 14.08 vs a 10 year dividend growth rate of 14.5% and current year increase of 46.8% (due to large special dividends), it appears slightly under priced. As you say, the market has gotten wind of it.
    Dec 22 05:16 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • McDonald’s: Customers and Shareholders Alike Are Saying, 'I’m Loving It' [View article]
    Thanks Investment U for a timely article on MCD. I had been wondering about YUM's advantage in China. Once again, it appears that MCD is on top of it.
    Dec 21 12:49 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Two Stocks Poised to Grow in 2011 [View article]
    Thanks Fred for the encouraging news on VZ! Your pick on CMI last year had major international symbiosis, CYD made a contract with them and CYD doubled in 2010.
    Dec 21 09:51 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Long-Term Yield Contribution to Total Return Worldwide [View article]
    Thanks Richard Shaw for a good list of ETFs and investment theory. I feel comfortable with these ETFs for foreign companies. I only own a few foreign stocks, VOD, DDAIF.PK, CYD and some other asian stocks that are going broke. It is difficult to study foreign stocks and get information on them. I like your philosophy on US stocks and am moving toward that.
    Dec 21 05:21 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Periodic Table of the Dividend Champions [View article]
    Thanks David Van Knapp for a great visual tool for use in selecting Dividend Champions for investment. I especially like your idea of shading.
    Dec 21 04:39 AM | 11 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Exxon Mobil Dividend Analysis [View article]
    Thanks DM for a thorough analysis of XOM. From a dividend growth standpoint, the current year increase of 4.76%, 5yr of 9.4% and 10yr of 7.1% are disappointing when added to the 2.4% dividend yield. The 12.82 p/e is only justified by the 5 yr growth rate. The price of $57 reached in April 2010 reflects a good initial purchase point. I prefer dividend yield of at least 3%.
    Dec 20 02:58 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • McDonald's: Still One of the Great Success Stories for Dividend Growth Investors [View article]
    Thanks D4L for a great analysis of MCD. I like the earnings growth rate for the past 3 years of 27%/ year. I like the dividend growth rate for the past 10 years of 26%, although last years growth rate was only 11%. I like the 24% price growth rate this year. With the high price growth rate, they still manage to keep the dividend yield over 3%!
    Dec 20 09:24 AM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Pfizer Raises Dividend: Good News or Bad? [View article]
    Thanks DGI for an update on dividend increases. I prefer to own stocks with a minimum of 3% yield. The above list has several that meet that criteria. I own these in a drip plan: D and T. PFE made a fatal mistake in cutting the dividend and will not be on the radar. WM has a yield + dividend growth justified p/e of 11 vs a p/e of 17.89. O appears to have a monthly dividend. However, being a REIT with cash flow payout rather than earnings, the dividend exceeds the earnings.
    Dec 20 08:52 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment