Norman Tweed

View Norman Tweed's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Banking on Large Cap Dividend Stocks: Five 'Dogs of the Dow' Worth Betting On [View article]
    Thanks Marc Chaikin for a positive report on the top 5 Dogs of the Dow. I own T, VZ and have the rest on my watch list. I agree that this is a good year for large caps.
    Jan 12, 2011. 04:31 AM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Railroad Stocks Running on Cruise [View article]
    I have been looking at CNI, too, especially because they are a Dividend Contender with 14 years of dividend increases. Their yield of 1.58% is too low for me, but their growth rate has been high ever since they became publicly traded.
    Jan 11, 2011. 02:57 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Wal-Mart Has All the Makings of a Dividend King [View article]
    Thanks Dividend Pig for the article on WMT. I find the yield of 2.21% to be lower than my preferred dividend yield of 3% for a dividend growth stock. The dividend growth rate for one year of 11.8% and 10 years of 17.8% make the current p/e of 13.35 acceptable. The debt to total assets ratio of 58% is also acceptable. The problem I have with this stock is the slowly declining price chart for the past decade.
    Jan 11, 2011. 12:51 PM | 8 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Railroad Stocks Running on Cruise [View article]
    Thanks Jeff Pierce for some good charts on US railroads. I have been following CSX for some time and really like the stock for a long term hold.
    Jan 11, 2011. 05:00 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 11 High Yield Stocks to Consider Now [View article]
    Thanks Scott's Investments for the list of high momentum/high dividend stocks. I note that the top 4 are telecommunications companies. I think this industry has a long way to run!
    Jan 11, 2011. 04:41 AM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Coca-Cola: Growing World Population Means Growth for the Company [View article]
    Thanks World's Best Stocks for a good analysis of KO and a good comparison to PEP. I have PEP on my watch list due to the greater dividend growth rate, higher yield and lower PE.
    Jan 10, 2011. 01:50 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Champions Smackdown IX [View article]
    guraaf- They can go broke! There is the feeling that these institutions are ripping off the students. The government is starting to investigate.
    Jan 10, 2011. 12:37 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Nucor: A Great Company, Just Not a Great Time to Buy It [View article]
    Thanks D4L for the update on NUE. I agree that with a p/e of 68.73, even a high dividend growth rate cannot compensate for lack of earnings. I like the fact that the debt to total assets ratio is only 0.41. It appears that earnings are positive for 2010, although not near the 2008 level-but well in excess of the 2009 loss. Cyclical stocks are difficult to analyze, but I think you have found a winner in Nucor. I remember back in the 1970s when Dominion Virginia Power got it's first Nucor plant.
    Jan 10, 2011. 09:01 AM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 11 Foreign Stocks With Dividend Yields Over 5% [View article]
    Thanks David Hunkar for some high dividend paying foreign stocks. It appears that global telecommunications companies have some of the highest yields.
    Jan 10, 2011. 08:25 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • December Dividend Portfolio Progress Report: Leggett & Platt, Universal Health YOC's Rise [View article]
    Thanks D4L for the update to your real life Dividend Portfolio. Congratulations on meeting your $11,000 annual income from dividends goal.
    Jan 10, 2011. 08:06 AM | 10 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Winning the Loser's Game: Getting Reacquainted With Charles Ellis [View article]
    Thanks Wade for the great book report on "Winning the Loser's Game". When I first read this book, it changed my investing perspective immensely! It is difficult at times to stay the course, but it pays off in the long run, especially if you have created a good plan.
    Jan 10, 2011. 05:06 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Highest Yielding, Highest Momentum Dividend Champions [View article]
    Thanks Scott's Investments for this screen. You have turned up several stocks for further due diligence. I will own CTL through my Q shares. MSA has a high p/e ratio at 28.29 which seems to be unjustified by the deceleration in dividend growth rate last year only 3.1% growth. DBD seems to have a similar problem with last years dividend growth rate at 3.8% and the 10 year dividend growth rate at 5.7%, while the p/e is 21.05. MGEE energy has a low dividend growth rate of 1.7% last year, but with the yield of 3.5% and only a 57.84% payout ratio the price chart looks intriguing. The growth in earnings last year of 15.9% and 10% for the past 2 years makes the p/e of 16.71 seem low.
    Jan 10, 2011. 04:33 AM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Champions Smackdown IX [View article]
    I have owned SJM since I received the spinoff from PG in 2002. They are committed to the shareholder. Each time they buy more PG companies, they give you a special dividend as a sweetener. They are family run, by the Smuckers brothers, and have a long history of strong brand recognition. Their stock price goes down with sector rotation and when it becomes depressed, it is time to buy. I buy them through dividend reinvestment, but when their price is abnormally low, like March 2009, Feb 2006, or September 2001, I throw a little extra in. They should go up until late 2012, but it may be delayed by commodity prices like with PG.
    Jan 9, 2011. 10:03 AM | 8 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 3 Consecutive Double-Digit Years for the S&P 500? [View article]
    Thanks Chuck for a great forecast for 2011 based on your Fast Graphs. Could it be that the p/e ratio for the market is reverting to lower levels due to irrational pessimism? In 1980, it had dropped to low levels due to the Great Inflation.
    Jan 9, 2011. 08:53 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Champions Smackdown IX [View article]
    Thanks David Fish for the bonus Smackdown IX. I didn't know that CLX was a mid cap, it has a high dividend growth rate like other mid caps. I own SJM and am glad to see it made the list of mid cap Contenders. I especially like LLL and am glad it made the mid cap Challengers list. I dealt a lot with Harris Corp in the 1980s and 1990s and am glad to see their growth since that time and the fact that they made your mid cap Challenger list.
    Jan 9, 2011. 08:30 AM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment