Norman Tweed

View Norman Tweed's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Johnson & Johnson and the Contributions of Dividends to Total Return [View article]
    Thanks Doug Carey for a great analysis of the power of dividend growth investing with reinvested dividends. JNJ is a great dividend growth stock. The 10 year dividend growth rate has been 13%. The 5 year dividend growth rate has been 10.6% and last years dividend growth rate was 9.3%. As you point out, it is difficult to sustain a high dividend growth rate over long periods of time. With the flat price since 2000, the earnings growth and dividend growth has raised the yield to 3.49%. If the price remains flat, the dividend yield will continue to rise. At present with a p/e of 12.7 and a dividend growth + yield of 12.79, the stock is fairly valued. If one believes that the dividend growth rate will revert back to the 10 year value, a p/e of 16.49 is justified.
    Jan 5, 2011. 01:34 PM | 8 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Six Consumer Stocks Paying Sustainable Dividends to Own in 2011 [View article]
    Thanks DGI for a good list of dividend growth stocks. I like the health care sector and see a reversion to the mean working in their favor this year. The rest seem fairly valued at present.
    Jan 5, 2011. 12:39 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 2011 China Outlook: The Red Dragon Takes Its Next Step Forward [View article]
    Thanks Money Morning for an extensive report on China. I have held CYD since 2004 and find that the Chinese stocks are extremely volatile. However, thanks to your report I find that there is hope in holding.
    Jan 5, 2011. 10:25 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Possible Winners and Losers of Cuba's Deep Water Drilling [View article]
    This article makes me wonder what the United States would do if there is a major oil spill caused by a Cuban contractor?
    Jan 5, 2011. 10:04 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 10 Dividend Stocks That Are Still Undervalued [View article]
    Thanks D4L for the list of under priced dividend growth stocks for 2011. The health care sector is due for a reversion back to its former higher pricing. The Republican victories this last November may provide an impetus to that. If nothing happens on the p/e increase side of the equation, the high and increasing dividend yield of many of these stocks will make the wait worth your while. I'm not so sure about MSFT, or WMT. HGIC is a financial stock.
    Jan 5, 2011. 09:52 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Andersons: An Agriculture Stock That Pays Dividends [View article]
    Thanks Ian Wyatt for the analysis on ANDE. I find the dividend growth rate quite impressive (22% last year and 12.9% for the last 10 years). The p/e of 12.63 is justified by the current yield of 1.2% + the 12.9% 10 year dividend growth rate. The price chart has been flat since 2006, except for the dip in 2008-2009. It appears that the earnings are coming back from the 2007 level with a large jump in 2010.
    Jan 5, 2011. 05:48 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Are Defense Stocks Cheap Enough for the Post-War(s) Era? [View article]
    Thanks YCharts for refreshing our memory on defense stocks. There is much tough talk about defense here in Virginia, they even have a witch hunt going for the Captain of the Enterprise. All three top defense stocks (LMT, NOC and GD) look good from a price standpoint now. LMT has the highest debt to total assets ratio at 89%, but their business is based on large government contracts and if they get the contracts, they will get the financing. LMT has the best yield at 4.29% and a solid dividend growth rate of 19.6% over the past 8 years.
    Jan 4, 2011. 12:56 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Three Dividend Aristocrats for the New Decade [View article]
    I only hold PG for this portion of my consumer staples sector. I have the spinoff of their food business SJM, but a much smaller holding. I agree with you that PG is the better stock.
    Jan 4, 2011. 12:32 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Grains Rally Again in December [View article]
    Thanks Marc for the farmland update. I, too am bullish on the prospects for grain demand globally for at least the next 2 years.
    Jan 4, 2011. 05:25 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Three Dividend Aristocrats for the New Decade [View article]
    Thanks Avi Morris for three solid companies. Due to sector rotation this year, I agree that Health care stocks and consumer staples will rise. I wonder why you chose KMB rather than PG? Could it be for the dividend yield difference (4.2% vs 3%)? The p/e of KMB is 14.26, while the p/e of PG is 15.84.
    Jan 3, 2011. 02:12 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 10 Stocks Expected to Grow Their Dividends in 2011 [View article]
    Chowder- CLX has a lot of debt 98% debt to total assets. They seem to be selling off assets to maintain the dividend.
    Jan 3, 2011. 01:28 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Verizon Gets Motorola 4G Phone - Is iPhone Next? [View article]
    Thanks Money Morning for the update on VZ and 4G. I recently switched from satellite Internet to VZ's 4G USB modem. So far, it has only operated at 3G out here in Bumpass, but that is still sufficient to watch 200-500k streams and they charge by the GB. My plan allows 5GB for $50 per month. Once I can stream higher speed video and downloads, the $10/GB charges will really add up! I think this is great for the stock.
    Jan 3, 2011. 01:22 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Nasdaq-100 Dividend Champions [View article]
    Thanks David for the updated list. VOD pays semi annual dividends. I am not sure how you would handle it, but last year it paid .812 + .464. Reuter says the annual dividend is .9276 which is similar to what you have shown.
    Jan 3, 2011. 12:50 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Four Dividend Stock Picks for 2011 [View article]
    Congratulations DGI for your 26.1% return on last years stock picks. I like your portfolio for this year. I believe reverting to the mean will be this years theme and sector rotation to consumer staples and Health care will also play a big part in 2011.
    Jan 3, 2011. 12:38 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Hasbro's Margin of Safety Too Low to Justify an Investment [View article]
    Thanks Dividend Monk for the report on HAS. I find the dividend growth rate last year was only 18.8% with a yield of 2.87%, the p/e of 16.21 appears slightly low. When you compare the 10 year dividend growth rate of 14.7%, it appear fairly valued. When you compare the earnings per share growth rate over the past 4 years of 6.1% to the price to earnings ratio and the price growth, it becomes evident that it is riding on the dividend growth rate. I would wait for it to come back down in price, at least to a 3% dividend yield.
    Jan 3, 2011. 10:30 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment