Norman Tweed

View Norman Tweed's Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • Cummins Just Raised Their Dividend 25% Is It A Buy Now? [View instapost]
    Mathieu--Thanks for the tip on VNR. I'm gun shy on oil and gas at present and still hold LNCO near the bottom.
    Jul 21, 2015. 03:15 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Cummins Just Raised Their Dividend 25% Is It A Buy Now? [View instapost]
    Eric--The last time I skipped the 3% yield point on NSC, I regretted it for years. You wrote an excellent article on CMI.
    Jul 21, 2015. 03:14 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Cummins Just Raised Their Dividend 25% Is It A Buy Now? [View instapost]
    Mathieu--Thanks for reading! I'm feeling better after a virus that gave me vertigo. I hope this series will be of benefit to you. I'm detailing investments for my son in law. We don't usually agree and it makes me expand my investigations.
    Jul 20, 2015. 03:09 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Union Pacific: A Play On Economic Recovery [View instapost]
    djsulli--Unfortunately, it has always been in my want category too. This could definitely be a down year and you may get your buy point.

However, I believe we are at the start of a new bull market and UNP will take advantage of intermodal and other freight in 2016 to set new records in earnings. The global economy is about to make major recoveries. I liked UNP at $100. My yield buy point has now been reduced to 2.5% or $88. That is pretty close to yours.
    Jul 19, 2015. 12:43 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Union Pacific: A Play On Economic Recovery [View instapost]
    Thanks T4 Y! Both you and my son in law think it is going lower. If it got to 73, it would be a 3% yield. I'm afraid it is more of a growth stock and not a yield play. I haven't gotten it yet either.
    Jul 19, 2015. 03:16 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Cummins Just Raised Their Dividend 25% Is It A Buy Now? [View instapost]
    You're quite welcome, Matt.
    Jul 18, 2015. 03:33 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Watch Out For The Modern Credit Anstalt Bank [View instapost]
    Thanks Tom for this update on the Credit Anstalt Bank collapse. I agree with you that China could cause a global rout in finance. However, Greece appears too small, with a small debt compared to global resources. In my opinion the world is coming out of this global depression and we should fare like they did in 1945 after World War II was over. Right now it is scary, but the bank collapse occurred in 2008 and I think the global financial situation is much stronger than it was in 2008.
    Jul 8, 2015. 12:04 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Beta: Different Implications For Value And Growth Stocks [View instapost]
    Thanks Tom for this tutorial on Beta. I too, have noticed that health care sector stocks are going up similar to the way tobacco stocks went up consistently from 1950-1990. Rather than think too much about it, I bought and reinvest the dividends in VGHAX. This may be a play on the Baby Boomers aging and use of the health care system, including Obama care.
    Jul 6, 2015. 10:58 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Main Street Capital Corporation A Safer BDC To Hold [View instapost]
    Thanks Dick Phillips for commenting.

I had the same feeling about PSEC as you did. This is why I had my daughter buy MAIN. I like the semiannual special dividends and agree that the yields are close taking that and the dividend growth rate of MAIN into account.

Since I only started with a 1/4 position last year in PSEC and was investing other dividends into it each month, the dividend cut was on a 30% full position rather than a full position. This is why I continue to play with it as a speculation--only buying small chunks monthly when the price is way down. I understand your frustration with PSEC, especially if purchased all at once. I can no longer consider it a core holding in the financial sector.
    Jun 27, 2015. 02:11 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Main Street Capital Corporation A Safer BDC To Hold [View instapost]
    Be Here Now,

Thank you for commenting and your synopsis of the traditional 2 and 20 management fees of the traditional hedge fund for PSEC. I wasn't worried about that last year when I bought into PSEC, since they still had a slowly rising dividend and the highest yield of all the BDCs.

However, when the cut the dividend this year, they got my attention. I have been following the compensation of the external management and did a blog post a week or so ago

I agree with you that my daughter's cash account in her business can't afford to lose value.

On the other hand, the P/E ratio for PSEC is 8.15 and the yield is up to 13.33%. It is a speculation now, but I bought some at the open for my IRA account yesterday. As a long term hold, it is questionable and in the next year I will compare my position in PSEC with my daughter's position in MAIN. I may need to switch my own account.
    Jun 27, 2015. 01:01 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Main Street Capital Corporation A Safer BDC To Hold [View instapost]
    Thanks for your comment Dividend Nut! I think yesterday's action is exactly what will happen in the ongoing future for both of these BDCs. Flight to quality is the word for rising interest rates when dealing with high yield investments. MAIN is perceived to be quality with good coverage of the dividend and room to grow the portfolio. Whereas PSEC pays a high yield now and dropped precipitously with the prospect of higher interest rates. What props PSEC up is the high yield as long as they don't cut the dividend. What props MAIN up is the growth potential of the company with growing dividends and internal management.
    Jun 27, 2015. 09:21 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Contenders: 25 Increases Expected By The End Of August [View article]
    Thank you David Fish for this update on Dividend Contender dividend increases expected. I am watching SJM and hope for another 10% increase. My youngest granddaughter is also looking to start a position in it. They have moved into the pet food business this year and seem to be doing well at it.
    Jun 17, 2015. 04:01 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Triangle Capital (TCAP) My New BDC [View instapost]
    Dick Phillips--Thanks for your comments. I didn't go as far as you when I bought TCAP. The yield is slightly higher and a much less volatile stock than PSEC. When you get old like us, the bills keep rolling in and you need cash flow to cover them!
    Jun 9, 2015. 03:04 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Triangle Capital (TCAP) My New BDC [View instapost]
    Thanks for the link, Be Here Now!
    Jun 7, 2015. 03:05 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment