Northrop Puckett

View Northrop Puckett's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Facebook: Soon To Be A Shell Of Its Former Self, Like AOL [View article]
    Thank you all for your comments.
    Oct 30 06:12 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Facebook: Soon To Be A Shell Of Its Former Self, Like AOL [View article]
    The beginning: http://bit.ly/1aLJG8b
    Oct 26 02:38 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Kodiak Rally: Attributable To The Syria Oil Spike Or Company Fundamentals? [View article]
    Under section Kodiak Fundamentals, I wrote North Dakota saw 55,000 new wells in July. That's a typo. Should read the state saw 55,000 new barrels per day. Also, 100 new wells, not total.
    Sep 19 02:11 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Heading Into 'The Great Taper,' Where Do You Want Your Money? [View article]
    PalmDesertRat,

I am using average bank/economist estimates of a $20B taper in Sept. Maybe it will be later than that and less than that ($10B?) but right now that's what seems likely. You are right though -- much will depend on that.

I don't expect an end to the secular bull market yet, but the market has risen the past 8 months mostly due to multiple expansion, which definitely hasn't shown itself in the earnings so far. I kind of expect the multiples to decrease a little more (today's relief rally aside). We shall see.

Good investing to you.
    Aug 20 12:30 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is It Time To Take Some Chips Off The Table? [View article]
    Interesting article. Thank you Mr. Schaefer.

My hunch is that so much money will flow from bond funds into equities when people see their statements, that it will keep earnings disappointments from doing too much damage to the indexes. Plus the "Bernanke Put" seems to be back in effect... When the taper of bond purchases begins this Fall, it will be interesting to see how high yields go. That could do damage/slow the economy.

In a investment world where good economic data is "bad," and bad economic data is "good," it can be confusing. I could see a LT investor using the 233 daily EMA as a bear market line...
    Jul 11 03:02 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Fed Is Not Pushing Stock Prices Higher [View article]
    Paul,

I agree that earnings are a primary market driver, but the past 5 years show a striking correlation between monetary base and market moves: http://bit.ly/YwBYNB

Additionally, showing the downward trend in US, Japanese, and German bond rates doesn't prove that Fed easing isn't propelling the stock market. Japan has been easing for the past 20 years. Germany has kept money relatively tight, but it has low rates because of its safe and powerful economy. Essentially, while you could argue that the three countries have different monetary/fiscal policies, the real similarity causing the relative low rates is likely that they have strong economies and are safe places to put money. Similarly, if you took three strong S&P companies with vastly different business plans but strong income statements, they would all have relatively low bond rates because they are safe places to put money.

Best
    Apr 3 07:10 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Electronic Arts (EA -7.7%) is now seeing big losses, as the Street concludes its March quarter warning takes priority over John Riccitiello's resignation. Game developers Activision (ATVI -2%), Take-Two (TTWO -1.8%), Zynga (ZNGA -1.7%), and Glu Mobile (GLUU -6.8%) are also lower, as is retailer GameStop (GME -2.3%). EA's warning comes a few days after NPD provided more downbeat retail sales data for the industry to chew on, as aged consoles and a shift to mobile gaming continue taking a toll. (earlier[View news story]
    I agree generally. Not sure mobile is going away. However, console is a whole different beast. I believe the game play on consoles will keep getting more in-depth and story driven, with better graphics. I believe prices will be able to rise and these games will ALL be downloadable, like they are for Steam, and margins will get better for gaming companies. Just different animals. Anyone that has spent a lot of time gaming (me...) knows the allure of a great console gaming experience.
    Mar 19 04:01 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Freeport-McMoran Copper: A Sold Long-Term Holding [View article]
    I believe I did send it in to editors as "Solid"!... Sometimes editors change things, at least that's the theory I'm going with. Maybe it was my fault... Copper broke key support last night on Cyprus & China news, so this may really test its $31 support.
    Mar 18 08:52 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Tiffany: A Large Shareholder Loaded Up On This Stock Last Week [View article]
    I think you are correct, and that's probably what Qatar thinks too. Gems and precious metals should hold their value well in a world awash flooded with money.
    Mar 11 03:07 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Tiffany: A Large Shareholder Loaded Up On This Stock Last Week [View article]
    "none of these two" when I listed four... the hazards of writing before you have your coffee....
    Mar 11 12:41 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Different U.S. And European Economic Policies Have Implications For What Stocks To Own [View article]
    Forgot to mention, recent gold prices can also be reflection of view that Fed ends stimulus sooner, rather than later...
    Mar 6 01:35 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • S&P Poised For Pullback To 1460 [View article]
    I know I'll get killed for that title... It wasn't my first choice, but editors can be persuasive. First choice for title: "Crouching Dollar, Hidden Bonds." Much vaguer, how I like it.

The bonds breaking out of the channel are what have me transfixed. Not down today...
    Feb 22 02:04 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How Close Is Capstone Turbine? [View article]
    Best comments yet on an article I've written. Thanks for the feedback and commentary everyone.
    Feb 16 10:50 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Top 13 Stocks For 2013 [Part 3] [View article]
    Thanks.
    Feb 10 04:08 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is The Market Stalling, Reversing Or Resting? [View article]
    Who said sell, haha? I just enjoy trying to predict market movements. It depends on your time frame. If you are a buy and hold investor, then don't sell, or maybe use a collar. If you trade more frequently -- like a swing trader -- a move like this would be more relevant. That's why I didn't say "sell now." All depends on your style of investing/trading.

Personally, I use opportunities like this -- where I see a moderate pullback in a larger bull market -- to add puts as a hedge. If we sell down to 1460, it would help offset losses.
    Feb 10 03:57 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment