NYC Trader

View NYC Trader's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Apple Is Up 37% Year-Over-Year. What Now? [View article]
    I'm doing my homework :)
    Apr 28, 2014. 09:22 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple Is Up 37% Year-Over-Year. What Now? [View article]
    who said I am an active trader? I have a VERY long-term horizon, which is why I love Apple so much. I like finding discount stocks. When Apple is at 750, I'll have to evaluate the Index, macro-conditions, peers, etc. When I invest, I make sure to calculate my risks carefully.
    Apr 28, 2014. 08:48 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple Is Up 37% Year-Over-Year. What Now? [View article]
    Are you referring to this?

"and yes, I bought back - most recently at $422"

That was the last time I purchased shares... hence "most recently". I've held since.
    Apr 28, 2014. 04:58 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple Is Up 37% Year-Over-Year. What Now? [View article]
    @watch - this is interesting. i've thought about this as well. it would be an excellent alternative to repatriating.
    Apr 28, 2014. 11:22 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple Is Up 37% Year-Over-Year. What Now? [View article]
    1. Pseudonymous writing gives many authors, including myself, the opportunity to write. For many reasons, we otherwise wouldn't be able to. SA knows who I am - so rest assured, when they publish my articles, they're doing so because they actually know me and have confidence in my writing. I am NOT, as you say, anonymous.
    2. I specifically checked my statements to make sure I gave the correct prices for my sales & purchases of shares. See my earlier Apple articles - my sentiments have been consistent with my purchases and sales. About March of last year, I wrote an article stating why some in the investment community were trading Apple irresponsibly...
    3. I'm not sure how knowing my real name would give you any more information about my actual positions - if let's say I was trying to deceive. Authors on SA write to express their views about the market - which is what I've done.

Thanks for your comment.
    Apr 28, 2014. 09:43 AM | 8 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple +7% AH; iPhone strength provides a lift to margins [View news story]
    Looking forward to hearing from Michael Blair.
    Apr 23, 2014. 05:11 PM | 8 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Competitors Are Like Piranhas Chewing Up Apple [View article]
    I just looked at this Moto G. It looks like the watered down version of the Moto X. This is NOT a premium offering. They're attracting the discount market - not the market Apple targets, which will be more of an issue for Samsung than Apple.
    Apr 8, 2014. 04:45 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Competitors Are Like Piranhas Chewing Up Apple [View article]
    @roc I just read about this - it's certainly troublesome and raises some questions.
    Apr 8, 2014. 03:15 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Competitors Are Like Piranhas Chewing Up Apple [View article]
    "The fact is that the new Moto G in the United Kingdom is winning a lot of business from people who might otherwise have bought an iPhone"

Evidence? If you can't show me evidence in the form of hard numbers or surveys, then I'm really sorry - but I equate that statement to a fairy tale.

"There is not much "luxury" in an iPhone, just a tired design"

You clearly know 0 about Apple or its ecosystem that has been pointed in surveys to be far superior to Android or your precious Blackberry.

"The luxury smartphone players are Savelli Jardin Secret; Gresso Radical; Mobiado Professional; Tonini Lamboghini Antares; and Vertu Constellation."

I am sure whatever it is you listed above is very seriously threatening Apple. Why do I even bother? You started writing your negative articles about Apple about this time last year and investors have a 23% return if they did the OPPOSITE of what you told them. That's all the evidence I need. You're clearly WRONG. And if you think you're right - then you owe it to your audience to give them a time horizon so they can start grading your performance. Your performance 1 yr later is F, unless losing money is considered a good thing.
    Apr 8, 2014. 01:51 PM | 20 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Competitors Are Like Piranhas Chewing Up Apple [View article]
    "Apple now has competitors. Here are some of them."

If what you listed above are Apple's competitors, then Hyundai and Kia are Mercedes' and BMW's competitors. It's like taking consumers' preferences and their desire for luxury goods and saying to them, "Too bad, I don't care about consumers' preferences. I am Michael Blair and in my world, luxury and discount goods are the same exact thing!"

Which one of those competitors listed above have a top 5 global brand? Which one of those competitors have operating margins close to Apple's? Which are serious players in the luxury smartphone space?

Answer: None.
    Apr 8, 2014. 01:01 PM | 38 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is The Nasdaq Bubble Beginning To Burst? [View article]
    Thank you. I wrote three articles about the Nasdaq dropping. I was very certain that things were about to shift. Thanks again.
    Apr 6, 2014. 09:05 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Yes, The Nasdaq Bubble Is Definitely Here [View article]
    Since hitting a 14 yr high in March, the Nasdaq is off 5%, while the S&P is flat.
    Apr 4, 2014. 01:21 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Is Apple Really Doomed? [View article]
    The ipad and the computer are not nearly as important to Apple as is the phone. The phone does in fact get you from point a to b, virtually. The fact that the iPhone gets you there more smoothly and with relative excitement along the way is a big deal. Survey after survey indicates that Apple products are by far the most exciting to use in the industry.

In terms of the middle class shrinking - I agree, however, the current "subsidy" model allows iPhones to be purchased at an extremely affordable price for middle class consumers relative to the benefits they get from these phones. $300 for something they use 3 hours a day and are very dependent on? Theyll keep doing that for a very long time. The digital age is in its early stages. Apple's advantage here is that they've placed the providers at their mercy where providers are subsidizing the iPhones heavier than they are other phones. This is a future risk for Apple, but they are aware of it. In general though, you're underestimating the importance of smartphones.

Thanks for your comment.
    Mar 27, 2014. 05:48 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • WSJ's Apple / Comcast Story Not Accurate, News Being Overblown On Wall Street [View article]
    Now you say: "I don't have to accuse them of anything. Their poor writing shows they don't understand the technology that are writing about."

Before you said: "From sources I have spoken to, no such deal between Apple and Comcast is being considered today the way the WSJ describes it."

Those are two very different things. It's possible that they don't understand the technology, but it's also possible that they are correctly reporting that there could be a deal. I don't think you understand how reporting works.
    Mar 24, 2014. 11:46 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment

Not that I am questioning your sources, but the WSJ is not some shady paper trying to grab share by reporting controversies. I read the piece that you're referring to and I'd be stunned if "no such deal is being considered."

Are you accusing the WSJ of fudging a story? That's a very serious accusation.
    Mar 24, 2014. 10:47 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment