NYC Trader

View NYC Trader's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Apple's iWatch Is A Game Changer [View article]
    "But does the iwatch- or any other smart watch-threaten the relatively higher end watch market?"

From the article:

"No, the iWatch will likely not compete directly with the Swatch Group's crème de la crème Prestige and Luxury Range, which features such brands as newly acquired Harry Winston, Breguet (below), Blancpain, and Jaquet Droz."

Not sure what's going on here exactly.
    Sep 2, 2014. 12:26 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple's iWatch Is A Game Changer [View article]
    I respect your opinion - after all, your strategy differs from mine. You make investment decisions based on reality without "bringing subjective value judgments into the equation"...

But I disagree with your approach. It is impossible to build a cash flow model for a relatively new market based on your "hyperreal" approach. My way certainly has its risks, but it nevertheless gives investors a view of what a new market could potentially represent in terms of existing market shifts (the existing mid-range watch market) and how these shifts would translate into Apple's new product and revenues.

And it's not like I'm being radical in my approach. The Swiss watchmakers believe it's happening or at least could happen, too. They also think that comparing what you call "orangutans and oranges" is worthwhile and necessary.
    Aug 31, 2014. 03:13 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple's iWatch Is A Game Changer [View article]
    What you're saying isn't supported by facts entirely. You're using anecdotal cases to assume something about hundreds of millions of people. Swatch's top high-end and middle range market is China, not US. People in China aren't concealing their Swatch Group watches - are they? Why would they conceal their iWatches?
    Aug 29, 2014. 12:55 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple's iWatch Is A Game Changer [View article]
    Would certainly be interesting... even if at least it was partially charged by solar power.
    Aug 29, 2014. 12:01 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple's iWatch Is A Game Changer [View article]
    Jason you have to look at the chart above and realize just how critical the iWatch is for Apple. Clearly the iPhone will be the bread and butter of their business, but the extra $20 billion in high margin revenue - if they can pull this off - on top of the 2015 $180 billion revenue helps the share value tremendously.
    Aug 28, 2014. 11:33 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple's iWatch Is A Game Changer [View article]
    Thanks for your comment. From the article:

Those fetch tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of dollars, each. At the same time, the Swatch Group also has a lineup of more affordable watches that include the High Range (Longines), the Middle Range (Tissot, Hamilton), and the Basic Range (Swatch, Flik Flak). It seems that much of the Swatch Group's strategic focus is to vigorously protect this basic, middle, and even high range of watches from would-be competitors like Apple. All could now come under a direct threat."
    Aug 28, 2014. 12:15 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple's iWatch Is A Game Changer [View article]
    Thanks for your comment. The GPS feature could be very interesting - something I didn't even consider. Adds to my conviction that this could be a huge product.
    Aug 28, 2014. 10:52 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple's iWatch Is A Game Changer [View article]
    I agree that the luxury and high range of Swiss watches will mostly be unaffected by the iWatch. But certainly the Tissots, Swatches, and Hamiltons are not exactly your rare pieces ... They too are mass produced. That Swiss $100-$1000 range will be in play.
    Aug 28, 2014. 09:47 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple Is Up 37% Year-Over-Year. What Now? [View article]
    I'm doing my homework :)
    Apr 28, 2014. 09:22 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple Is Up 37% Year-Over-Year. What Now? [View article]
    who said I am an active trader? I have a VERY long-term horizon, which is why I love Apple so much. I like finding discount stocks. When Apple is at 750, I'll have to evaluate the Index, macro-conditions, peers, etc. When I invest, I make sure to calculate my risks carefully.
    Apr 28, 2014. 08:48 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple Is Up 37% Year-Over-Year. What Now? [View article]
    Are you referring to this?

"and yes, I bought back - most recently at $422"

That was the last time I purchased shares... hence "most recently". I've held since.
    Apr 28, 2014. 04:58 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple Is Up 37% Year-Over-Year. What Now? [View article]
    @watch - this is interesting. i've thought about this as well. it would be an excellent alternative to repatriating.
    Apr 28, 2014. 11:22 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple Is Up 37% Year-Over-Year. What Now? [View article]
    1. Pseudonymous writing gives many authors, including myself, the opportunity to write. For many reasons, we otherwise wouldn't be able to. SA knows who I am - so rest assured, when they publish my articles, they're doing so because they actually know me and have confidence in my writing. I am NOT, as you say, anonymous.
    2. I specifically checked my statements to make sure I gave the correct prices for my sales & purchases of shares. See my earlier Apple articles - my sentiments have been consistent with my purchases and sales. About March of last year, I wrote an article stating why some in the investment community were trading Apple irresponsibly...
    3. I'm not sure how knowing my real name would give you any more information about my actual positions - if let's say I was trying to deceive. Authors on SA write to express their views about the market - which is what I've done.

Thanks for your comment.
    Apr 28, 2014. 09:43 AM | 8 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Competitors Are Like Piranhas Chewing Up Apple [View article]
    I just looked at this Moto G. It looks like the watered down version of the Moto X. This is NOT a premium offering. They're attracting the discount market - not the market Apple targets, which will be more of an issue for Samsung than Apple.
    Apr 8, 2014. 04:45 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Competitors Are Like Piranhas Chewing Up Apple [View article]
    @roc I just read about this - it's certainly troublesome and raises some questions.
    Apr 8, 2014. 03:15 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment