Ocean Man

View Ocean Man's Comments BY TICKER:
  • 7 Bullish, 2 Neutral and 5 Bearish Calls by Jim Cramer [View article]
    Thanks, Dr. O, I really enjoy these articles where you comment on Cramer's picks.

I like Seadrill over those other 3 oil rig co's due to its 8% yield while competitive on the other metrics.

Count me among those punched in the gut by WM.
    Aug 1 09:00 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Buy the Dips in mREITs: Risk Profile Strong Despite Financing Concerns [View article]
    If my yield on AGNC dropped from 20% to 18% I wouldn't bat an eye. I loaded up Friday too. AGNC said in their conf call that the increased haircuts didn't worry them a bit.

These are very risky, I know, but the panic selling last week could end up delicious tomorrow.
    Jul 31 10:27 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • mREIT Strategies for the Coming Week [View article]
    My strategy is, and always has been, to buy on short-term dips. In my opinion, the debt ceiling and default and downgrade issues were always going to be feared right up until the last minute and then be resolved. Almost all of the politicians were commenting to that effect.

So I just sat back and waited for the panic selling to peak on Friday, and loaded up on AGNC and a bit less on NLY. The market will jump Monday for most stocks, but far more for these mREITs. Even if the issues aren't resolved Monday, they're only arguing over nickles and dimes now.

I respect Todd's capital preservation strategy, and greatly appreciate his articles. Maybe I'm a bit more of a gambler, and I might end up wrong (wouldn't be the first time).

The reason I didn't load up on NLY as much as AGNC is that NLY delayed their earnings result which was supposed to be last week. Maybe this was to announce good news into a rallying market, but I'm not sure. But I liked what I heard from AGNC's conference call.

Good luck to all. These mREIT discussions have been fun.
    Jul 31 10:13 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Frontier Communications: Sky-High Dividend Yield Looks Priced to Fall [View article]
    I don't know why you would find a minus 2% outlook unreasonable on a stock that has declined 16% over the past 2 months.

I think this was an excellent article, and I think it will decline more than 2% annually. There are other rural telecoms with better growth potential, similar yields, and much lower payout ratios that would seem to be more of a safe bet.
    Jul 31 09:44 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Home Depot: Consistent Dividends, Challenging Market [View article]
    I don't see Home Depot's price improving much until there's a major upswing in new home building, and I think that is still a couple of years away. Even when the housing market improves, there is a huge backlog of bank-owned homes and people who have been waiting to sell that will flood the market before a large volume of new homes will be needed.
    Jul 31 09:28 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • With Verizon Wireless Dividend, Markets Think Vodafone Is the Better Investment [View article]
    That's correct. VOD pays a dividend twice a year in roughly a 1/3 amount in Nov and a 2/3 amount in June. The last two sum to $1.444 which divided by the current price of $28.10 is a yield of 5.1% (which was actually 5.4% before the price jumped on Friday).

I tried to calculate what the February special dividend would be by dividing the $3.3B payout by 5.16B oustanding shares. This would suggest 64 cents. If you add this to the 1.444, it would take the yield up to 7.4%.

However, since then, I've seen two articles from reputable UK news sites, one of which said the special dividend will be 4 pence (which seems low) and the other said the special dividend would take the VOD yield up to 14.5% (which seems high).

It seems very odd to me that there would be such discrepancy of information floating around about a $145B company, right? But I think however this works out, VOD is looking very attractive. Don't forget, this dividend from Verizon Wireless to VOD is expected to be an annual payment, not a one-time event.
    Jul 31 09:22 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Companies to Consider That Are Reporting Earnings on Tuesday Part I [View article]
    I cannot believe you would write an article on a stock with analysis, opinions, and graphs, and notice that it dropped from $52 to $34 in one day a MONTH ago, yet not spend 2 minutes finding out why.

FAIL.
    Jul 31 05:59 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 5 High Yielding Birth Control Stocks [View article]
    Now here's something the Republicans will be more strongly against than tax increases in the debt ceiling debate.
    Jul 30 09:10 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 15 High Yield, High Dividend, Growth Stocks [View article]
    Darden has a 5-year dividend-growth rate of 26%. C'mon, say it with me. It's on a dip, and look what it did after that last dip. DRI's dividend raises for the seafood lover in me.
    Jul 30 09:05 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Insanity in mREIT Trading Friday Morning [View article]
    Can you guys tell me what your limit orders are so I can go a penny higher?
    Jul 30 08:01 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Insanity in mREIT Trading Friday Morning [View article]
    It's time for a new political party called "not incumbent". I would vote for anyone on that ticket. Teach these guys a lesson.
    Jul 30 07:58 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • High Yields: Buying the Panic in Mortgage REIT Stocks [View article]
    No, reinvested dividends don't shorten the period. The dividends are the return, or interest, and reinvesting them is what makes the return compound return. The compounding is what makes it 7.2 years and not 10.

Now, if the dividend increases (as we hope), then that shortens the period. And that's because you're earning more than 10% then.
    Jul 30 07:43 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Building a Model Income Portfolio Sector by Sector: Part 5 - Health Care [View article]
    For Novartis, should mention their dividend is paid once a year, in Feb. Also, they have a foreign tax withholding, 25% I believe.
    Jul 30 10:55 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Gain Nearly 10% Annual Yield With This Unlevered Dividend Portfolio [View article]
    You're pretty close, but it looks like you're pro-rating the dividends, while they're actually paid quarterly. So you would have received 2 dividends since Jan for 65 cents, but you'll get another one later this month to get you up to 98 cents.
    Jul 30 10:28 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Agriculture Stock Ideas for Portfolio Growth [View article]
    July 28, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- On July 26, 2011, CVR Partners, LP (NYSE:UAN - News) announced a second quarter 2011 cash distribution of 40.7 cents per common unit for the period of April 13, 2011 (the closing of its initial public offering) through June 30, 2011. CVR Partners today reaffirms its previous distribution guidance of $1.92 for the twelve months ending March 31, 2012, as reported in its prospectus dated April 7, 2011, in connection with its initial public offering.
    Jul 29 02:31 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment