Ocean Man

View Ocean Man's Comments BY TICKER:
  • One More Thing Investors Need To Know About REITs [View article]
    If a higher number is better, it's called a rating. Rank, by definition, means a lower number is better.

For you to say that an mREIT has zero debt is ridiculous. Ten seconds on Yahoo Finance would show you their debt levels.

I can't decide if you know less about the English language or mREITs, but you need some major improvement on both fronts before you write another article on this topic.
    Aug 24, 2011. 02:16 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Avoid Chimera, Try 3 Mortgage REIT Investments With Stronger Risk/Reward Profiles [View article]
    Here's the simple summary on CIM: Anyone who bought it more than a month ago wishes they hadn't. There are groups on the CIM message board on Yahoo organizing lawsuits against the execs running CIM. You cannot say the same about NLY or AGNC.

Good article, Parsimony. It is responsible journalism to point out the difference between a high dividend driven by outstanding performance vs. a high dividend driven by massive price decline.
    Aug 22, 2011. 02:19 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Hybrid mREITs vs. Agency mREITs [View article]
    There's a good reason why that hasn't been done in 50 years and that's because it wouldn't do any good and would probably do harm. You'd only do that if mortgage rates were too high. Long rates are plenty low, people don't want to buy houses because prices are not on the rise. The Fed would be better off buying up the oversupply of foreclosed homes.
    Aug 19, 2011. 09:49 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Johnson & Johnson: One Stock Cramer and I Agree On [View article]
    JNJ probably has the lowest recall risk of any company. They've had so many recalls, the next one is already priced in.
    Aug 19, 2011. 09:31 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Rebounding Fertilizer Equities Are Bargains [View article]
    CF quadrupled their dividend from something under 1% to something still under 1%.

If you want to reinvest dividends, UAN has 10x the dividend of CF even after the quadrupling.
    Aug 19, 2011. 09:29 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Hybrid mREITs vs. Agency mREITs [View article]
    I wouldn't even venture into the hybrid side of this subsector. In the mREIT subsector, I feel the best of breed are both agency names: NLY and AGNC (by leaps and bounds). I wouldn't venture into the commercial real estate side either.

Isn't it funny that for months earlier this year we felt our mREITs were the one thing in our portfolios that could drop like a stone on a moment's notice? Now they're some of the stocks I feel safest in.....
    Aug 19, 2011. 09:21 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Hybrid mREITs vs. Agency mREITs [View article]
    Wow, things are getting ugly at IVR. From $19.60 to $17.25 one day later, a 12% drop on news of a supposedly accretive SPO on a day when mREITs fell far less than the overall market.

One more example why you should buy best of breed in any given subsector.
    Aug 19, 2011. 12:42 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 5 High-Yielding Energy Stocks for the Next Decade [View article]
    I agree with the comment above, I think SDRL has its fleet leased for the next 2 or 3 years already, so they'll be more affected by the price of oil years from now rather than the ups and downs of this week. KMP is hedged quite a bit against price changes in parts of its business too, so I think both have been beaten up a little too much with the recent drop in oil for being lumped in with "oil stocks". As such, I think both are great buys right now.

Investors should consider the foreign tax withholding on Total's dividends.
    Aug 18, 2011. 11:51 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 10 Profitable, High-Dividend Stocks to Quell Market Fears [View article]
    Years from now, I will look back and realize that loading up on Seadrill when it dipped under $29 paid for my son's college tuition.
    Aug 18, 2011. 11:24 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Building a Model Income Portfolio Sector by Sector: Part 8 - Materials [View article]
    Excellent article, although I feel there were a couple of other chemical companies overly beat up in the recent pullback that could rebound much more:

DOW - Dow Chemical fell 35% from May 1st to Aug 8th with an earnings beat in between, and has since gained back only 1/6 of that drop. Sports a 3.3% yield.

HUN - Huntsman Corp fell 47% over the same period, and has since gained back less than 1/4 of that drop. Sports a 2.8% yield and the CEO just bought $1.3 million worth for himself.

I bought both of these in the past week and will get paid to wait for what could be a huge bounceback. Remember, a stock that recovers a 50% loss gives you a 100% gain (100 to 50 to 100).
    Aug 17, 2011. 10:28 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Hedging My 10 Favorite, Must-Own, High-Yield Dividend Stocks (Part 2 of 2) [View article]
    Cowboy - I'm about as pro-MLP as you will find, but you are taking too big a risk with 70% in them. Congress could decide to take away their favorable tax treatment and your share prices would plummet followed by your dividends. This is why people diversify, so one event can't wipe you out. I think this is a small-likelihood but high-magnitude risk, not something you expose 70% of your portfolio to.
    Aug 15, 2011. 12:13 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Advanced Investment Partners' Top 25 Stock Picks [View article]
    This is the exact same list you gave for Leon Cooperman's holdings in another article from the same day.
    Aug 14, 2011. 11:36 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 5 of the Highest Dividend Stocks in the S&P 500 [View article]
    I didn't give any money to RAI, I gave it to the previous owner of my RAI stock. Since that day, RAI has been giving me money at the rate of about 6% per year.

So by your logic, I have incredible morals and I'm preventing cancer by pulling money out of this evil empire.
    Aug 14, 2011. 01:26 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 3 Dividend Stocks to Buy With Cash Reserves [View article]
    Look at Tweedn cranking out 3 articles in August! Excellent work too.

I like JNJ quite a bit, and concurring with the commenters above, NVS as well. VOD is a great call, and I calculated the special dividend to be around 64 to 67 cents bringing the yield up to around 7.5 to 8%. The special dividend should be annual going forward, not one-time.

I admired your discipline over the past several months as you commented every day waiting patiently for Intel to drop under $21 to get your desired price point. I felt bad for you seeing it drop under $20 a couple times this week, but not too bad since I know how happy I am with a couple of yields I picked up this week and I wouldn't care if they dropped further for a short time. I like to think that I'm a better investor for having learned from your discipline.
    Aug 13, 2011. 12:05 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Johnson & Johnson: One Stock Cramer and I Agree On [View article]
    Well, JS, I am a fan of JNJ, Cramer, and your articles. In Pittsburgh, they'd call that a confluence. I owned a small chunk of JNJ before this crash, but when it went under $60 on Tuesday I made that a big chunk. It proceeded to drop about 50% of the market percentage drop on Wed, and then gained about 150% of the market percentage gain on Thurs. I like it when my stocks do that.
    Aug 12, 2011. 11:34 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment