Ocean Man

View Ocean Man's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Hedging My 10 Favorite, Must-Own, High-Yield Dividend Stocks (Part 2 of 2) [View article]
    I use a different type of hedging strategy. I buy when everyone else is panicking like a bunch of scared little girls. I have found that this gives near the downside protection of a put for much less cost.
    Aug 12 11:22 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Cramer's Shopping List: 7 Buy Calls With Excellent Dividends [View article]
    Thanks, Dr. O, I've been enjoying your Cramer columns all week. I immediately pegged ConEd and EPD as the weaker ideas on his list as you did, and while I don't hate IP it is not for me.

However, I think BMY, VZ, KMB, and DRI are perfect buys for the current environment. Fair upside, great income, and terrific portofolio protection. I'd also point out that DRI has increased their dividend by about 30% each of the past three years for anyone wanting top-shelf dividend growth.
    Aug 12 11:16 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Rebounding Fertilizer Equities Are Bargains [View article]
    This was an excellent and thorough article, and I like some of the ferts you mentioned, but I like UAN better.

UAN is like TNH, but at the stage when TNH was at $20 before it went to $140 in less than a year. Plus UAN has a competitive advantage of using its parent company's waste as an input to reduce costs. Their IPO was just 4 months ago and they've pledged to pay out $1.92 in distributions the first year. It's fallen under $20 on the down days of this week's roller coaster which would make that almost a 10% yield. It could also go to $26 giving you a 30% increase without breaking its July high. Great yield, great upside, people have to eat.
    Aug 11 11:06 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Current Market Meltdown a Potential Bonanza for Future Retirement Portfolios [View article]
    I'm with surfgeezer. It's all about divvy income on sale. I got MMLP, TEF, and SDRL for 11+% yields when I would have been happy with 7 or 8%. Don't really care if it goes down a bit more before it goes up.
    Aug 11 10:45 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • A look at the Dow's worst drops since 1899 [View article]
    I'm hoping you post August 11, 2011 as one of the top 10 gainers tomorrow.
    Aug 11 01:51 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 12 Quality Multinational Dividend Stocks to Combat the Current Economic Situation [View article]
    I own VOD, TEF, and NVS of the ones you mentioned. I also own AT and NGG which should hedge somewhat against a declining dollar.
    Aug 9 02:13 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • How I Used Today's Market to Build Income and Preserve Capital [View article]
    I added some AT as well, and I got some UAN as it dipped under $20 briefly today. The ferts could be a leader in a choppy market going forward.
    Aug 9 01:57 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • NLY 2nd Quarter mREIT Analysis [View article]
    It was very brief because it was during the Lightning Round or some other quick answer to a caller, plus it was a "by the way" in an answer to someone asking about Anworth.
    Aug 9 01:32 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Best Stock Bargains After Market's Bloodbath [View article]
    SDRL could shoot up with either a market bump or a bounce back in the price of oil.
    Aug 9 12:46 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Ideal Dividend Portfolio: Mostly REITs Coupled With High-Yielding Blue Chip Stocks [View article]
    Two problems:

1) 5 of one thing and 2 of another is not diversified. I'm very bullish on the mREITs and telecoms, but I would cut back to 2 mREITs (my choices would be NLY and AGNC), and make your mREITs no more than 15% of your portfolio in total. There are plenty of other high-yielders you will find by reading articles on SA that will give you diversification without too much drop in yield. A few suggestions would be the MLPs that others suggested that yield 6% to 10% (KMP, MMLP, STON, UAN), a small-cap like CLCT at 9%, a tobacco co like RAI or MO at 6%, a BDC like SLRC at 11%, and an oil rig leaser like SDRL at 10%.

2) Among the people on SA who have bought mREITs, the consensus over/under on how long before there's a big dividend cut on these is probably around 18 months, nowhere near the decade or long period you're suggesting. Among the people on SA who have not bought mREITs, that window is even shorter. Further, most of the people who have bought mREITs realize that there's a significant chance you might lose a hefty chunk of your investment before you have the chance to sell. Maybe there will be a gradual out on these, but they might just open 40% off the prior day's close one morning. You don't want that to happen to 75% of your portfolio.

Good luck, with a couple of adjustments you could have a similar yield with far better diversification and less risk.
    Aug 7 05:39 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 5 of the Highest Dividend Stocks in the S&P 500 [View article]
    I was surprised that Pitney Bowes came out with such a great earnings report last week. Maybe the start of a swing up, and the 7+% dividend doesn't hurt either.
    Aug 7 04:25 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • NLY 2nd Quarter mREIT Analysis [View article]
    Wow, Todd, my jaw about hit the floor when I heard Cramer respond to your article on his show on Friday. He said something like "I've been reading some articles lately about how I'm pumping Annaly because I'm friends with the CEO, Mike Farrel. That is just completely ridiculous. I'm here to make you money. The day I start pumping stocks because I'm friends with the CEO is the day I'm outta here."
    Aug 7 03:35 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • NLY 2nd Quarter mREIT Analysis [View article]
    I can answer that for you with 100% certainty. A Chinese rating agency downgraded US credit early this morning, and NLY went up today.
    Aug 4 01:09 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Frontier Communications: Sky-High Dividend Yield Looks Priced to Fall [View article]
    I agree, Chowder, the payout ratios over 100% on telecoms don't scare me off, in fact I have payout ratio and free cash flow coverage side-by-side on my analysis spreadsheet for that very reason. VZ has a 150% payout ratio that doesn't worry me at all.

With FTR, I just think every time someone says "I'll just go with my cell phone and ditch the land line" they lose a customer, and I don't see equal or greater sources of customer gains for them.

I had worries about CTL integrating their recent acquisitions, but I had no idea their quarter would be as bad as it was today. Just atrocious.

I previously owned FTR and CTL, but sold them. I have large positions in VOD and TEF and small positions in VZ and WIN. I'm also happy being overweight telecoms, they suit my goals.
    Aug 3 11:59 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • mREIT Strategies for the Coming Week [View article]
    Someone who sold and then re-bought may have had to take a capital gain and pay tax on it, depending on how long ago they had purchased.
    Aug 3 03:05 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment