Ocean Man

View Ocean Man's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Doral Financial soars after Supreme Court ruling [View news story]
    I don't think I'd call it soaring when a stock moves from $4 to $5 after a drop from $25.
    Jul 23, 2014. 09:10 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Blackstone to buy Max Property for $707M [View news story]
    "Max Property, great name."
    "Thanks, I got it off a hair dryer."
    Jul 22, 2014. 09:22 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • China GDP growth accelerates in Q2 [View news story]
    Why was this post delayed half a day from when the numbers were released? Chinese GDP data is near the top of the list of what moves markets. You even credited Europe's gains to this Chinese data in two pre-market posts, yet didn't publish the data itself until after 11 am?
    Jul 17, 2014. 09:32 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How I Like To Play Earnings [View instapost]
    On average about 15%.
    Jun 27, 2014. 09:50 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How I Like To Play Earnings [View instapost]
    I bid 3% above the prior day's close at $43.30 and filled at $43.00.
    Jun 27, 2014. 07:57 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How I Like To Play Earnings [View instapost]
    Sold for $44.97.

Intra-day gain of 4.6%.
    Jun 27, 2014. 03:50 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • How I Like To Play Earnings [View instapost]
    Bought the open on AZZ at $43.00.
    Jun 27, 2014. 09:34 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Hercules Technology Growth Capital - A BDC With An Equity Kicker [View article]
    Rising rates are bullish for BDC's who borrow at fixed rates and lend at floating rates.
    Jun 24, 2014. 07:55 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • California Chrome Arbitrage And $300 On The Sidewalk [View instapost]
    I don't mean to rain on your parade, but I used to be in one just like that and the US government froze all of the American accounts. I tested it a few times to make sure I could withdraw winnings and it worked fine. They had a free $10 bet each week, like Who will win Monday Night Football. 52 weeks x $10 x 50/50 bet was EV of $260 per year. Plus they had deposit matches that vested as you wagered like this one. Over a couple of years I ran it up to about $900 pretty much risk-free. Then it got frozen. That was several years ago. Still frozen. Like they say in the stock market, "it works until it doesn't".
    Jun 24, 2014. 07:52 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Do Day Traders Evidence Skill? [View article]
    I agree. The vast majority of day traders trade on technical analysis signals. It doesn't make sense for this study to assume that the ones that outperformed had inside information about company news.
    Jun 14, 2014. 01:28 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Seattle to boost wage floor to $15 per hour [View news story]
    It didn't go above $3.35 until 1990.
    Jun 3, 2014. 09:51 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Seattle to boost wage floor to $15 per hour [View news story]
    Sometimes you see intelligent discussions in the comments, and other times you see this^.
    Jun 3, 2014. 09:21 AM | 12 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Position Sizing And Averaging Down [View instapost]
    If I look back at all of the worst trades I ever made, most of the ones that hurt were because I didn't control my position size on them. In contrast, most of the ones that were equally stupid but kept to a controlled position size are completely forgotten.

I'd say my methods are mostly based on experience. There are many facets of the FA side which I don't use, or use much. My system is experience-based with a FA backdrop. Experience helps one keep a wary mindset when approaching each opportunity, knowing what might go wrong, what red flags to look out for, knowing how the stock market likes to do the opposite of the obvious reaction. Then, with that cautious mindset, you search for catalysts and over-reactions with FA glasses.
    May 16, 2014. 08:19 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Marijuana, Merger Premiums & The Missing Ashraf Eassa [View instapost]
    He was a college student with less than two years investing experience for a good chunk of that time, so it's not a bad salary considering that, so hopefully it vaults him upwards from there.
    May 4, 2014. 03:11 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • How I Like To Play Earnings [View instapost]
    I should mention that I actually bid $23.75 in that example, to widen my net of possible GTC orders I might snag, and just got matched up with a $23.65 ask.
    May 4, 2014. 10:45 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment