Ocean Man

View Ocean Man's Comments BY TICKER:
  • The 25 Best Authors On Seeking Alpha [View instapost]
    Thank you, Tim. I'm honored to be listed alongside the other 24 fantastic authors you mentioned.
    May 3, 2014. 10:14 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • How I Like To Play Earnings [View instapost]
    Made 0.5% on KRC and 2.5% on PDM today.

Two other qualifiers I noted but didn't play, also produced gains: +1.3% on IPI and +0.8% on AKR.

Average of +1.5% on the two I played.
    May 1, 2014. 03:50 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How I Like To Play Earnings [View instapost]
    System through last quarter: +65.7% in 5 months.
    Last week's gains: +1.2%.
    Today's gains: +8%.

System to date: +81% in 8 months.
    Apr 30, 2014. 03:50 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How I Like To Play Earnings [View instapost]
    And $25.53 makes a gain of 8% in one day.

Not.
    Too.
    Shabby.
    Apr 30, 2014. 03:46 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How I Like To Play Earnings [View instapost]
    Bought the open on AEGN at $23.65.

Tried to buy HURN at $64.45. It opened at $65 and shot up to $70. Doh.
    Apr 30, 2014. 09:54 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How I Like To Play Earnings [View instapost]
    Was up 2.4% at one point, finished with a 1.2% gain, not bad.
    Apr 24, 2014. 08:38 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How I Like To Play Earnings [View instapost]
    Bought SLG at $102.10. Beat earnings by 12%, beat revenues by 33% (up 41% Y/Y), and raised guidance.... a lovely combination.
    Apr 24, 2014. 09:57 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Position Sizing And Averaging Down [View instapost]
    I'd just say you want your money invested in what you think has the best chances to go up, doesn't matter if you're ahead or behind on a position.
    Apr 23, 2014. 06:49 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Position Sizing And Averaging Down [View instapost]
    I don't know, I don't trade pink sheets.
    Apr 23, 2014. 09:20 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Position Sizing And Averaging Down [View instapost]
    I'd do all or nothing on a small position.
    Apr 23, 2014. 09:19 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Position Sizing And Averaging Down [View instapost]
    Once I decide I want to buy a stock, I'll usually put in a bid below the current price and see if it fills over the next few minutes. I'll watch the real-time charts on Yahoo to see every trade within the 1-minute daily chart, I'll watch the day's range on the Yahoo quote page, and I'll watch the bid and ask change on my broker's website. Then I'll move my bid up when the time is right.

And I use daily for charts longer than 5 days to build a thesis.
    Apr 23, 2014. 08:48 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Position Sizing And Averaging Down [View instapost]
    Warren's first sentence declares that he's talking about investing. Ashraf's example and most of what I do is trading. The long-term end of trading starts to blur with the short-term end of investing, but for the most part they don't follow the same rules, although they may share some targets.
    Apr 23, 2014. 08:40 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Position Sizing And Averaging Down [View instapost]
    Those of you who follow my Stocktalks probably noticed that I sold my four "pillars" as they achieved the 8% gain I said I was looking for:

Sold KMI for a gain of 8.1% in 1 month.
    Sold APU for a gain of 8% in 6 weeks.
    Sold 1/2 of AVB for a gain of 10.7% in 3 months.
    Sold 1/2 of BRK.B for a gain of 12.5% in 2 months.
    Avg: +9.8% in less than 2 months.

Those are some big gains on large positions in a short amount of time, especially considering that the S&P is only up 2.6% year-to-date. That, my friends, is how it's done. If you can outperform the market like that a couple times a year, you'll be very successful.
    Apr 22, 2014. 10:43 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Google misses by $0.15, misses on revenue [View news story]
    There were lots of mp3 players before the iPod too.
    Apr 16, 2014. 05:49 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Position Sizing And Averaging Down [View instapost]
    Hedging is a complex topic which will take me a long time to write-up properly, but the quick version is that your short bets are just an alternate use of your cash / dry powder while you're waiting for more attractive prices to establish your long positions, while at the same time providing protection to your current longs from a fall in the markets.

If accomplished with decent timing, you'll be taking gains on your short bets as you put that money to work into longs on a dip.

The over-arching idea being: be longer during rallies than you were during pullbacks. It's difficult to achieve, but that, alongside picking outperformers, is the overall goal.
    Apr 13, 2014. 03:47 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment