Ocean Man

View Ocean Man's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Recent ADP job gains revised lower, but others pushed higher [View news story]
    If the revisions swing by such large amounts months later, why should we pay any attention to today's number?
    Mar 5, 2014. 08:35 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 2014 March Madness Trading Contest [View instapost]
    SLCA.
    Mar 2, 2014. 09:35 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • S&P: BDCs no longer eligible to be in U.S. indices [View news story]
    I will absorb some of that overhang tomorrow.
    Feb 25, 2014. 10:12 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Special dividend for the QQQ [View news story]
    My math says it's 4 cents to each QQQ share, currently at $90.
    Feb 23, 2014. 09:37 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Nabors' operating profit slips but results beat estimates, +2.3% AH [View news story]
    My diet starts tomorrow too.
    Feb 18, 2014. 07:39 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How I Like To Play Earnings [View instapost]
    CBR did well today, but gapped up a little too much for this play. Same with OTTR. I've been really busy with work lately and haven't been able to research this each day, but hopefully it's working for other people.
    Feb 11, 2014. 10:11 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How I Like To Play Earnings [View instapost]
    A big red day in the market can be a headwind to a long / momentum strategy like this. Tread carefully, play for smaller amounts, or hit the sidelines for a day. When people are selling the indices, there is downward pressure on all stocks. They can go up, but it's into the wind.
    Jan 31, 2014. 08:55 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How I Like To Play Earnings [View instapost]
    Somebody PM'd me that they played PLD for a 5% gain using this system this morning. I don't know how I missed that one, fit the criteria perfectly and would have been the biggest winner of the day. Oh well. LOL.
    Jan 30, 2014. 10:05 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How I Like To Play Earnings [View instapost]
    1/30/14:
    ININ gapped up too far at the open.
    PRXL filled at $48.80, sold at $49.42 for a gain of 1.3%.
    SLG filled at $91.71, sold at $93.85 for a gain of 2.3%.
    DRE filled at $15.07, sold at $15.51 for a gain of 2.9%.

Overall gain for today: +2.2%.

System to date: +65.7% in 5 months.
    Jan 30, 2014. 03:51 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Rich Kinder feels undervalued, but says doubters will be proved wrong [View news story]
    Long KMP. No plans to sell. Terrific yield, one of my favorites.
    Jan 16, 2014. 09:04 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Spare [View instapost]
    I refused to leave the hospital until the nurse showed me how to master the perfect swaddle. Now I can list swaddling skills alongside my numchuck skills and bowhunting skills. Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills. If only I could wrap a Christmas present as well as a baby....
    Jan 8, 2014. 10:45 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Spare [View instapost]
    Congrats Chris!
    Jan 7, 2014. 09:59 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Great Northern Iron Now Worth Less Than $21, Will Fall To $0 In 15 Months [View article]
    Nice detective work Night Heron!

I remember a couple years ago when this one fell from $124 to $60 based on the same argument. It's down to $31 now in the after-hours.
    Jan 6, 2014. 07:44 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Best Ideas For 2014: Long GCVRZ [View article]
    "If someone wants to blame others, then they should hire that person, pay him or her a fee and then hold them accountable."

Have Pro subscribers not hired a service and paid a fee?
    Jan 1, 2014. 02:33 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Best Ideas For 2014: Long GCVRZ [View article]
    I agree that someone who blindly follows another's free pick without doing their own research has no one to blame but himself.

But it's different when people are paying thousands of dollars for Pro picks, labeled as Alpha-rich. Someone who pays thousands of dollars for a pick labeled "best pick of 2014" that loses 70% right out of the gate has a right to complain somewhere. The comment section of the article in question seems an appropriate place to me.

If the guy thinks the author inadequately discussed the magnitude or likelihood of the downside risk of his pick, that is a valid opinion. You can agree or disagree with his opinion. But to call the guy names and say there's a spot in hell for him.... that is completely inappropriate.

Note: Chris has a solid history of picks at SA, with more hits than misses, and is a valuable contributor. My comments aren't directed at Chris in any way, they're directed at holding Pro picks to a higher standard.
    Jan 1, 2014. 11:07 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment