Ocean Man

View Ocean Man's Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • What Seeking Alpha Is Doing To Prevent Paid Stock Promotion [View article]
    I realize that this article is about combating paid stock promotion, but in the greater battle against SA being used for pure stock manipulation, I would suggest you consider rules around article publication in the last few days prior to monthly option expiration. Those attempting to maximize gains by manipulating stocks like to publish articles shortly after loading up on options when they are cheapest, just before expiration.
    Mar 27 07:10 PM | 14 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What Seeking Alpha Is Doing To Prevent Paid Stock Promotion [View article]
    Eli - your efforts are appreciated. Allow me to give you an example of how this has been permitted here for years, though. The following contributor says right in his profile that he is a compensated stock promoter. Over the past three years, up through and including last month, he has published 14 articles, over 800 StockTalks, and over 3,200 Instablog posts. He's even been named in multiple articles exposing what you're attempting to fix:

There are a number of others just like this.
    Mar 27 02:39 PM | 13 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Seattle to boost wage floor to $15 per hour [View news story]
    Sometimes you see intelligent discussions in the comments, and other times you see this^.
    Jun 3 09:21 AM | 12 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Capitulation after a brief, bad run? [View news story]
    That was funny. Kudos SA. Exited in yen terms.
    Apr 8 08:01 AM | 9 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Marijuana, Merger Premiums & The Missing Ashraf Eassa [View instapost]
    Motley Fool? Aw, man. I thought he was joining Motley Crue.
    Apr 11 04:24 PM | 8 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Position Sizing And Averaging Down [View instapost]
    Well, first off, I make a lot of picks, and not all of them end up winners. I have a very good percentage of picks that are winners, but it's not 100%. Among the winners, some take longer than others to show a gain, and some go down first. I'm sure you've seen some of my posts say "for a x% gain in 6 months" or "9 months". What's important about these two, is that the thesis is still intact; FEYE should be higher, and BBW should be lower.

I'll close this answer with a story. Back in 2012, CLCT had fallen from over $16 to $12 (look at a 2-year chart). I liked this stock and thought that 25% pullback was a good point to buy. It proceeded to drop another 25% to $9, and stayed there for a couple of months. I of course averaged down, even announcing that it had become a large position. A number of people on Stocktalks let me hear about it every day, saying Ocean Man had lost his mind, should've used a stop, was going to lose his stack. But my thesis was intact, and I never panicked. Look at my picture. Have you ever seen anyone look so calm and collected underwater?

The stock proceeded to gain 150% including dividends over the next 13 months. I haven't heard too many people question my methods since. But sometimes you have to wait.
    Apr 11 09:34 PM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Navigating the Wild, Wonderful World of Canadian Corporations (Formerly Trusts) [View article]
    I sure hope none of my stocks go down 150%!

Just kidding, Five Plus, this was a very informative article (as was your article on Preferreds) on a topic that I know little about and that is discussed less than others on SA. I especially like your attitude encouraging comments so that we all learn more, as the comments, as usual on SA, have been very informative as well. It's much better to ask others to fill in a few gaps than to have no one cover a difficult topic.
    Jul 11 11:05 PM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Seeking Alpha fires a shot at Bloomberg, StreetAccount [View news story]
    If you click on Today So Far, it will stop refreshing.
    Jul 29 08:06 AM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Today's move by European leaders to allow the direct use of bailout funds to recapitalize banks does nothing to help solve the region's real problem, which is high debt, observes Jim Rogers. Finding a way to get the banks to borrow even more money doesn't solve the problem, it just makes it worse. “People need to stop spending money they don’t have," Rogers says. "The solution to too much debt is not more debt."  [View news story]
    Jim Rogers is usually right, it just takes about 4 years on average for his ideas to come to fruition.
    Jun 29 07:14 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The 2011 Douche Bag Of The Year Award [View instapost]
    Jerry Sandusky of Penn State. I can stand losing money, I can't stand seeing a child's life ruined.
    Nov 20 10:04 AM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Mongolia: Will Peabody Get More, Less, Or The Same Of Tavan Tolgoi? [View article]
    Great article, very informative and presented both positive and negative views for Peabody. I believe in the coal super-cycle, and have small positions in BTU, ACI, ANR, and PCX. However, I've hesitated on which positions to add to as it seems all have trouble getting coal to China in any type of mass quantity due to limited ports to ship from and quantity restraints in those ports. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    Sep 4 09:07 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 46 Dividend Increases Expected in the Next 10 Weeks [View article]
    Thanks, David, I appreciate these "coming soon" articles from you.

I would love to see Altria get up over 6%.
    Jul 12 12:03 AM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How I Like To Play Earnings [View instapost]
    Sold at $67.90. Gain of 7.1% intra-day.
    Aug 6 03:32 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Recent ADP job gains revised lower, but others pushed higher [View news story]
    If the revisions swing by such large amounts months later, why should we pay any attention to today's number?
    Mar 5 08:35 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Kinder Morgan companies rise as Hedgeye releases critical report [View news story]
    Who's Hedgeye?