Old Trader

View Old Trader's Comments BY TICKER:

• Big U.S. Banks: I Say, Let 'Em Crash [View article]

While I agree with your suggestion, philosophically speaking, if you think that Brown-Vitter's unlikely to pass, I fear your idea would be DOA.

When legislation is solely focused on banks, you've only got one batch of lobbyists fighting it. With your plan, there would likely be a coalition. Recall that GM, Chrysler, GE, etc. also benefited from government/taxpayer rescues.
    May 28, 2013. 06:18 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Cramer's 'Best Of Breed' Energy MLP Plays [View article]
    Perhaps I'm unduly skeptical, but because I don't care for Cramer, any stock that he may tout starts out with 2 strikes against it, in my book.
    May 20, 2013. 07:08 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Portfolio Managers Will Never Beat Warren Buffett Or Berkshire, But Are Happy Trying [View article]
    While I generally agree with the article, there are other factors likely to contribute to underperformance by a mutual fund, compared to either Buffett, or an individual investor. The individual investor can hold both utility stocks, as well as medical/healthcare stocks, as an example, if he/she's of the opinion those will outperform. A PM running a technology fund would be precluded from owning either by the fund's mandate. The same is true of holding large amounts of cash, even if the PM might think that's the best course of action at a given point in time.
    May 4, 2013. 01:21 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Summary Of My Post-Employment Thoughts [View article]
    dancing diva,

That was a useful link that you posted. I wonder if the results can be safely extrapolated nationally.
    May 4, 2013. 12:58 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Shell (RDS.A) "is in much better shape than it was when he started," seems to be the general reaction to Peter Voser's retirement news. But not everyone is enamored with Voser's work, as Shell plans a $120B-$130B capex program for 2012-15, including $33B this year. Perhaps the most interesting part of the news is that Shell will consider external replacement candidates[View news story]
    Finding new sources of production, or expanding/improving current production assets does NOT come cheaply....
    May 2, 2013. 05:38 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why The Fed Doesn't Fear Inflation, But You Do [View article]
    Another interesting, and informative article (as always, imo).
    Apr 30, 2013. 05:04 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Wall Street Breakfast: Must-Know News [View article]
    I would suspect that would depend on how much is coming from the IMF.
    Apr 29, 2013. 08:43 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • S&P 500 Q1 Earnings Seem Positive: Is It Enough For More Gains? [View article]
    As been noted, in many (most?) cases, the beats on eanings was the result of lowered estimates, aided by cost cutting, share buybacks, etc. The misses on revenue side concern me.
    Apr 28, 2013. 03:58 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Wall Street Breakfast: Must-Know News [View article]
    Re: US economy set to grow 3%,

I can see the logic behind this change, but can't help wondering if the current administration won't use the 3% growth figure to "justify" current policy as being "successful".
    Apr 22, 2013. 08:05 AM | 10 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The 'Retire Young' Portfolio: Let's Introduce This Oil Company [View article]
    For quite some time, STO had been in the position of having steadily declining reserves. However, over the last 6 to 12 months, they've had a number of large, long term projects come together for them, so the reserve replacement situation's looking much better for them.

I'm curious as to how the author defines "a large margin", when he speaks of a goal of "beating the market", as his goal for the portfolio?
    Apr 21, 2013. 06:18 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Wall Street Breakfast: Must-Know News [View article]
    The news from P&G is unsettling, to say the least, given that the firm's typically considered somewhat of a "widow and orphans" type of stock.
    Apr 17, 2013. 08:08 AM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Second Quarter 'Hiccup' On The Way [View article]
    Perhaps its just me, but it seems that the market has been doing this for quite a while. If, on any given day, 5 "news" items come out, with 2 of the more minor ones being "good news", and the 3 more "important" ones are negative, the market embraces the former, and ignores the latter.
    Apr 13, 2013. 11:36 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Bright Golden Haze [View article]
    Every time that I think that I see the ultimate in arrogant elitism by the current administration, they reach into that tall black hat, yet again....
    Apr 13, 2013. 11:23 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Royal Dutch Shell (RDS.A +0.8%) is in talks with shareholders and the Czech government over the potential sale of its 16% stake in the largest refinery in the Czech Republic, local reports say. Shell's two partners in the refinery - Italy's Eni (E) and the Czech unit of Polish PKN Orlen - would have first option to purchase the stake. [View news story]
    I'd have to go back and look through the various announcements, but it does sound that Shell's making a meaningful effort to focus on the production side, both in oil, and NG.
    Apr 9, 2013. 05:54 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Wall Street Breakfast: Must-Know News [View article]
    It will be interesting to see what sort of effect the BoJ announcement will have on the US market....and how long any "bounce" may last. I find that the news from France (on the bond auction) to be more than a bit surprising.
    Apr 4, 2013. 09:04 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment