Old Trader

View Old Trader's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Investment Tail Wagging the Oil Dog? [View article]
    Given geopolitical/meteorlog... uncertainties...imho, oil exposure in almost ANY portfolio is "mandatory".

jan
    May 30 08:47 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Nordic American Tanker's Nice Dividend Boost [View article]
    Get this Hudlow JERK off the site!!!!!

jan
    May 6 11:36 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • U.S. Recovery Could Push Oil Much Higher [View article]
    PS:...yeah, SERIOUSLY long oil.
    May 6 11:34 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • U.S. Recovery Could Push Oil Much Higher [View article]
    Commodity Bubble Proponent,

I read the same piece about all the tankers parked in Iranian oil parked off their shores, but did you miss the part about it ALL being high sulphur crude (3.6%, as I recall, with only Syrian oil being higher at 3.9%). Evidently, there're roughly 236 prices for "oil", based on quality and location (transport to refineries drives price), with WTI and Brent being the quoted "standards".

jan
    May 6 11:33 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Natural Gas Sold Out: Stage Set for Long-Term Price Doubling [View article]
    pockyclips,

If you haven't read "Twilight in the Desert", I would highly suggest it. The first section covers the creation of Saudi Arabia, and the House of Saud, and gives some insight as to WHY the Saudis "screwed" us in the first embargo.

jan
    May 6 11:23 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Politics of Gas Prices: Comprehensive Energy Policy Needed [View article]
    Fitzman,

Re: "tax breaks for SUV's". Comments like that give blogging a bad name. The "tax break" mentioned was actually was actually a credit for business cap ex. The MMM media jumped on it, pointing out that a general contractor, for example, could buy an Expedition, or Navigator for "business" and claim the credit, which is HARDLY the same thing as a "tax break for SUVs".

jan
    May 2 02:17 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Worst Is Over ... Again ... And Again ... [View article]
    karchab..I sure as hell hope you're a trader..and a DAMN nimble one, or less those "gains" will melt like a snowball in Dante's Inferno.

Great post, gaucho...*s*.

jan
    May 2 01:48 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Taxes - A Good Reason to Sell in May (and Go Away) [View article]
    Al....Have you ever heard the expression "history doesn't repeat itself, but it sometimes rhymes"? Recall hearing/reading about the "South Seas Bubble"...the Dutch tulip "craze"?...both examples of markets gone awry.

jan

PS: and those happened HUNDREDS of years ago.
    May 2 01:25 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • OPEC Signals U.S. Rally [View article]
    Oilman,

Oil @ $70? We should be so lucky! While I can't dispute that chance of a fairly sharp drop in oil, should the global economy were to take a big hit, I'm thinking a "floor" somewhere in the $90 range, and as the economies resume perking, the price goes back up, up, and away. As a previous poster (actually, a couple of 'em) pointed out, the price of "new" production has gone through the roof.

jan
    Apr 29 09:57 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Stock Market Overvaluation and the Passive Investor [View article]
    bearfund,

You said it much better than I ever could. I like your comparison of MSFT to GOOG.

jan
    Apr 27 02:03 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Oil Surge, Weak Data Pare Dollar Gains [View article]
    I'd be the first to admit that's there's a "fear factor", "speculation", or whatever name one wants to hang on it, in the current price of oil, but not being a "trader", I don't really care. Looking at the intermediate term (1-3 years out), I don't see oil going anywhere but up; hence a fairly heavy exposure to oil stocks.

Jan
    Apr 26 03:44 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Two On McCainomics [View article]
    One thing I see pretty consistently by responders to various financial blogs when it comes to "big Oil" and alt. energy. Before screaming about "obscene" profits, look at things like ROI. "Big Oil" is middlin', at best. Secondly, does anyone REALLY think solar/windfarms, etc., would be viable alternatives if oil was back to $30/$40 bbl.? They'd be back to the teeny niches they occupied 20/30 years ago. The only way they make economic sense, is with oil north of $80/$90 bbl.

Jan
    Apr 26 03:13 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Penn West Energy Needs to Show Investors Its Worth [View article]
    Jack Yetiv,

I'd have to agree regarding the price of oil. I think the "floor" will be in the $100/$105 range for the near to mid term.

Jan
    Apr 25 08:23 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Exxon Mobil: Dividend Aristocrat [View article]
    Oops..meant to say 3M, not JNJ.

jan
    Apr 24 03:22 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Exxon Mobil: Dividend Aristocrat [View article]
    User,

I have to throw my lot in with the Fitzman. XOM's preference for buybacks over dividend increases isn't something that is real recent, as if their goal was to dodge poltical "flack". Btw, same reason JNJ is not in my portfolio..."show me the money!".

jan