Old Trader

View Old Trader's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Teekay Offshore Partners: Rising Above the Tsunami of Tanker Tonnage [View article]
    CaptKorn,

I'd agree that the somewhat smaller tankers are in a more favorable pricing situation than are the VLCCs. To the best of my knowledge, TOO has the shuttle market pretty well locked up.
    Feb 22, 2013. 06:12 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • After Clearing A Major Hurdle, Greece's Outlook Brightens [View article]
    For whatever reason, Greece seems to be lagging more than a few of it's fellow "PIIGS" in clawing its way back towards a recovery. Over the last couple of days, the print FT had articles on both Spain and Portugal, noting declining deficits in their current account balances, as easing of overly stringent work rules/regulations has made a notable difference in the competitiveness of their exports.
    Feb 14, 2013. 06:41 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Most Overbought And Worst Performing Dividend Champions [View article]
    Yes, I am.
    Feb 14, 2013. 11:02 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Wall Street Breakfast: Must-Know News [View article]
    The "bipartisanship" he displayed immediately post reelection sure dissipated rather quickly, it seems to me.
    Feb 11, 2013. 09:08 AM | 11 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Most Overbought And Worst Performing Dividend Champions [View article]
    Thanks; a helpful article. Interestingly enough, as I've been taking some money off of the table, since the start of the year, I've been eying my position in BIP as the next candidate for some "pruning".
    Feb 10, 2013. 06:58 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Laszlo Birinyi Expects The S&P500 To Reach 1600 Before The Year Ends [View article]
    Haing watched Birinyi a couple of times on Bloomberg TV, I tend to agree with the "permabull" label.
    Feb 5, 2013. 08:02 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Wall Street Breakfast: Must-Know News [View article]
    wyostocks,

Don't worry, I haven't, but Spain's been no "secret" for quite a while, whereas France, along with Germany, is (was?) considered the "sound core" of the EU. That remains to be seen...
    Feb 5, 2013. 12:05 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Wall Street Breakfast: Must-Know News [View article]
    robert,

A good analogy!
    Feb 5, 2013. 12:03 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Wall Street Breakfast: Must-Know News [View article]
    Its starting to look like its France's "turn in the barrel"; something that's been mooted about, in some quarters, since last summer.
    Feb 5, 2013. 09:15 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Falling Tail Risk = The New Secular Bull? [View article]
    Definitely one of your best articles, Cam! (Not that I recall any "bad" ones....). You bring up an excellent point about Dalio being more focused on the macro, rather than the US-centric. As mentioned above, I also have nothing but respect for Mr. Dalio....I should be half as successful has he's been, over time.
    Feb 4, 2013. 06:00 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Disturbing Trend In Growth From January Jobs Report [View article]
    What I've not seen mentioned is the fact that typically, jobs increase towards year end, as firms gear up for the holidays by hiring temps. IF the economy grows, an increasing number of those "temp" jobs become "permanent"...otherwise, not so much.

That's not to say that other factors, such as Obamacare haven't had an effect this time around.
    Feb 3, 2013. 01:41 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Fines amounting to $8B sought by Nigeria from Shell (RDS.A) and Chevron (CVX) for oil spills are not backed by law, according to the chairman of the country’s Senate Committee on Environment. That doesn't mean laws won't be changed, but observers say tough measures are unlikely to be enforced against companies engaged in partnerships with the government. [View news story]
    I'm not quite so sure that "tough measures are unlikely to be enforced against companies engaged in partnerships with the government."

Take a look at what's happened in Russia to Western private energy companies partnered with "connected" Russian entities.
    Feb 1, 2013. 01:29 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Breaking Open The Piggy Bank [View article]
    Congrats!!!! As you mention, amazing how time flies, when you're having a good time!!!!
    Feb 1, 2013. 01:24 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Buy Southern Company On Strong Results [View article]
    In any case, a good article. Although I don't currently hold SO, I've owned it in the past and think that a conservative income-oriented investor could do worse in a portfolio.
    Jan 31, 2013. 04:54 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Buy Southern Company On Strong Results [View article]
    RJM2,

Contributors/authors are in a "no win" situation. If they DON'T hold the security they write about, people, such as yourself, comment doubting the authors' veracity.

If they DO hold the security, they're accused of trying to "pump" the stock they hold (or drive the price down, if they're short and have written a negative article).
    Jan 31, 2013. 04:50 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment