Omer Altay

View Omer Altay's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Is It Time To Capitalize On Mispriced Shares Of Medical Properties Trust? [View article]
    mob is medical office buildings
    Aug 16, 2015. 05:08 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • You're Missing The REIT Point: Investor Sentiment Is On Our Side [View article]
    I get 100 free trades every single month with Merill Edge.
    Jul 30, 2015. 12:37 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • $18 Should Be The Minimum Price For Silver [View article]
    "It's a certainty though that it should be worth more than $15."

What does that even mean? I guess if its time to share meaningless statements, It's a certainty that I should be a billionaire!
    Jul 23, 2015. 04:35 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Alpha Natural Resources to be delisted by NYSE [View news story]
    How does ANR going through reorganization and reducing debt help better capitalized coal companies? Unless they liquidate, which they aren't, it will only hurt other coal companies, as their competitors are shedding debt.
    Jul 16, 2015. 11:04 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • I Slipped Beneath The Waves And Could Not See [View instapost]
    No one doubts that becoming a pharmacist is a difficult endeavor due to the rigorous requirements. But that level of training for a retail gig is 100% unnecessary. What if we required janitors to have 6 year degrees? They study all the cleaning products/interactions with every surface? Let's make the program EXTREMELY difficult too, so only 10% graduate. Their job doesn't change though. What would happen? Exact same thing as a retail pharmacist.
    Jul 12, 2015. 03:14 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • I Slipped Beneath The Waves And Could Not See [View instapost]
    Rose,

I have no doubt the 6 year college program is rigorous and demanding, but it's entirely unnecessary for a retail pharmacist job at CVS/Walgreens. I've seen first hand what the job entails, and it's less demanding than a cashier at a moderately busy fast food joint.

A Pharmacist at a hospital environment may be different, but at CVS/Walgreens, it's a joke. Anyone that's literate can do it. In fact, most of the time, the work is handled by lower paid pharmacy techs, with the CVS/Walgreens simply required to have a licensed pharmacist on staff.
    Jul 12, 2015. 09:12 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • I Slipped Beneath The Waves And Could Not See [View instapost]
    I refuse to support their scam. A retail pharmacist's job is a joke (My uncle is a pharmacist and my friend is one too. I've seen their day-to-day). The toughest part of their day is deciphering the doctor's handwriting. The cashier's job at CVS/Walgreens entails more work than the pharmacist's, but they command a 100K+ yearly salary starting because of regulations, which ultimately increases my costs.

I purchase my medicine online when necessary at a fraction of the cost (Usually shipped from Turkey). Always the same brand too, just priced much cheaper there. It's very easy to purchase brand name medicine on the net if you do some research.

@Robert I've had great results with them. Out of all the pairs I ordered for my entire family (15+ over the years), only 1 had an issue, but for $10/pair, I didn't even bother to return it. Beats paying $75+ at the local brick and mortar.
    Jul 11, 2015. 06:22 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • I Slipped Beneath The Waves And Could Not See [View instapost]
    Pharmacists run the same racket.

Buy your glasses online on sites like Zennioptical. Simple prescription glasses can be had for $10 with shipping. I have 3 pairs of glasses, 2 backups! I never want to be without my sight. I live and work on the PC.

Every time I need stronger glasses, I just order 4 new pairs, each progressively stronger than my current prescription. (Costs $10 each!) I can find the perfect number without supporting the optometrist racket.
    Jul 10, 2015. 09:53 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Second Half Predictions - Part I [View article]
    Hi Bret,

What are your thoughts on REITs today? They seem to have gotten unusually cheap on a p/ffo ratio.
    Jun 30, 2015. 08:22 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Senior Housing Properties Trust: A Big Opportunity In The Assisted Living Industry With An 8% Yield [View article]
    ....I understand the negatives of the RMR Management agreement. But to say that issuing shares to grow AUM to grow fees is nonsense. Starting in 2014 RMR is no longer paid based on AUM. They're paid on the LOWER OF A) Real Estate at cost (aum) OR Market cap. Since market cap is below their real estate at cost price (6.7B) vs market cap of (4.24B), RMR is receiving LESS fees. In their prior management agreement they were paid based on AUM.

The further RMR stock dives the less fees they get. RMR gets paid MORE if the stock rises. They're paid on market cap NOT AUM. AUM is NOT market cap, so you're the "clueless" one.
    Jun 29, 2015. 12:19 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I guess I'll spell it out for you since you don't understand basic math.

If a company has 100 shares outstanding and stock price is $10 the market cap is $1,000. If they issue 10 more shares at $7 and the shares plummet to the offering price of $7, now there are 110 shares outstanding at $7, market cap of $770 (110x7). Looks like new shares were issued but market cap went down.

Management will get LESS fees if they issue below NAV IF stock price declines more than the % diluted (Which will happen if they keep issuing shares below NAV).
    Jun 29, 2015. 12:08 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    If they dilute 5% at below NAV, stock will tank more than 5% and they will get LESS fees. This is obvious.
    Jun 27, 2015. 03:50 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    What? You just said HCN's #s are the same as SNHs but with more dividend growth. Would you be happy if SNH cut their dividend in nearly half to 4.8% then grew it say 10% a year? Would you be jumping in joy for that high dividend growth and claim that SNH is more committed to a dividend? Makes no sense...
    Jun 27, 2015. 02:44 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Whiteshell, as per their 2013 management agreement new terms, they are paid management fees on the lower of:

A) Market cap
    B) Cost basis of all real estate assets.

So issuing shares below NAV to grow assets would result in less fees since market cap is lower. People keep repeating the same nonsense about growing assets at the cost of shareholders. This used to be a thing, but since 2014 they changed their fee structure. Looks good to me.

See:
    Jun 27, 2015. 02:34 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Buying into RMR is a good way to balance out the external management. Yes, Portnoys still control RMR with 10-1 voting rights, but RMR managed reits own half the economic interested. They're essentially getting half their fees back.
    Jun 27, 2015. 12:48 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment