Ong Kang Wei

View Ong Kang Wei's Comments BY TICKER:
  • New Addition To My Dividend Compounding Portfolio: Duff & Phelps Income Fund [View article]
    Thanks for the comments people, I will look into your suggestions.

All the best!
    Feb 13, 2015. 08:19 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Restructuring My Dividend Portfolio, Part 2: The Portfolio Structure [View article]
    Hi Dividend Sleuth,
    Thanks for the comment and for the compliments!

All the best!
    Feb 7, 2015. 06:28 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Hi zgb,
    Thanks for the recommendation. After some research, I think it's quite a good dividend payer and fund overall. I would have preferred more dividend and trading history, but I still like it quite a bit.

I'm considering adding it to my dividend portfolio. Thanks again.

All the best!
    Jan 29, 2015. 02:16 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Hi zgb,
    Thanks for the comment. I'll check BWG out and tell you what I think later.

All the best!
    Jan 28, 2015. 11:14 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Hi Bingo,
    Thanks for the feedback.

Honestly, I don't think the stocks in my portfolio are "boring" to me. I see these positions as a part ownership in these companies that make so many products. When I think of this fact, I feel proud to be a shareholder that I forget about the boring price action. Anyway, the compounding over time is my ultimate aim, so I don't really care about price action.

I have also set aside some funds for those stocks you mentioned, as you have seen in the article. Any investment suggestions?

All the best!
    Jan 28, 2015. 11:13 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Hi sisaket,
    Thanks for your input. I understand your concerns about the impact of political sentiment on these markets, but I believe that markets frequently get overextended in either direction due to the emotional turmoil that investors are put through. I want to take advantage of these over-extended declines through short-term trades.

In fact, the reason you mentioned is probably one of the largest reasons why I trade such markets, and not invest over the long term.

Regarding technical analysis, I used it above in the situation of EWZ, to find a good buying point on the long term trendline. Technicals can also be used intraday to find a good entry point, since we are talking about trading over here.

Hope this reply helps.

Jan 28, 2015. 10:03 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Hi liongterm investor,
    Thanks for reading and for commenting. More information on the put selling operations can br found in Part 1 (http://seekingalpha.co...). Do check that out.

Anyway, I've just started selling puts so I don't have much experience in it. I've sold T, GE and JNJ puts, all closed out for a small profit. I've no positions now. I sell puts based on both fundamentals and technicals. It needs to be a high quality business trading at a reasonable valuation. I then use technical analysis to ensure that prices are not going to fall significantly in the short term.

I don't need margin to do this. It has to be cash-secured though. This means a sum of money (which would be used to purchase the shares if the put was exercised) is tied up when you sell the put.

I try to have a yield of between 15% and 35% annualized. That sounds like a lot, but considering the limited opportunities that is present, effective yield may not be that much at the end of the year.

I limit myself to 1-2 exercised puts per year due to my relatively small account. I expect to keep the stock in my portfolio. I may or may not sell another more overvalued stock. I typically am not very keen to sell high-quality stocks but if I have to (due to reasons such as very low yield, high valuations, etc.), I will do so.

I hope this reply is helpful to you. Feel free to ask again if you don't understand anything.

All the best!
    Jan 28, 2015. 08:54 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Hi Jhalgren,
    Thanks for commenting. The impact of falling oil prices, and a falling Canadian Dollar has definitely took a toll on BNS prices, but overall I think it's a fantastic stock to own over the long term.

All the best!
    Jan 28, 2015. 08:44 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Hi Get Rich Brothers,
    Thanks for the input. I was not aware of such a fantastic growth streak. It definitely is one of the more stable financial companies, as proven by the fact that it is one of only 2 financial companies in my portfolio. Most financial companies, including previous dividend aristocrats like BAC, did not qualify for the portfolio given their horrible dividend payment history since the recession in 2008.

The main reason that BNS is a tier 2 stock is its 75% fall in price in the recession, and the fact that it halted dividend growth through 2008-2009. I know that this is remarkable for any financial stock, considering the performances of banks like BAC, JPM and C, but it was classified into the 2nd tier due to such more volatile qualities.

All the best!
    Jan 28, 2015. 05:31 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Hi sbally,
    Thanks for the comment. Like go-4-it, I will also wait for a better entry price. It is one of the only portfolio positions that I don't have at the moment (as it is new in the portfolio).

Currently, there are definitely many headwinds for Caterpillar, including the weak oil prices, etc. As someone who thinks that oil prices will stay low, I expect Caterpillar's earnings to continue to be soft going forward. This is one reason why I've put off my buying. In addition, a cyclical company like this is more volatile than other stocks, and can/will overextend its run into either direction.

Despite all these, it undoubtedly pays good (and growing!) dividends, and is one of the strongest companies (with a whole lot of brand recognition) in its industry, and will be one of the stocks that would thrive in a bull market and do well in the long term.

Thus, although I would not go all in now, I might take a nibble at these prices. I think there might be more downside both technically and fundamentally in the short term, but in the long term, CAT looks like a great income+growth stock to me.

I hope this helps!

Jan 28, 2015. 03:19 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Hi mkemac,
    I don't know about you, but I personally think that it is better if I write in bite sized pieces, both for me and the readers.

All the best!
    Jan 28, 2015. 03:10 AM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Hi snoopy,
    Thanks for reading and for your comment.

Originally, my rationale for re-balancing my portfolio was to fuel the extra income or returns generated from the put selling operations (found in Part 1) and the higher risk segments back into the main dividend portfolio. The dividend portfolio is and always will be my priority. Since I will expect higher returns given the risk I'm taking in the other segments of the portfolio, I am expecting these portions of the portfolio to grow faster overall.

After reading some comments here, I am considering changing this to an annual re-balance, since it definitely is more viable in terms of time and commissions spent.

Thanks for the comment once again!
    Jan 28, 2015. 03:08 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Hi swissfrank,
    Thanks for reading and for the comment.

My rationale for re-balancing my portfolio was to fuel the extra income or returns generated from the put selling operations and the higher risk segments back into the main dividend portfolio. Since I will expect higher returns given the risk I'm taking in the other segments of the portfolio, I am expecting these portions of the portfolio to grow faster overall.

But your question really set me thinking- what if the high-risk segment doesn't turn out as expected and I lose money. I think that I will have to reconsider the viability of the high risk segment in that case, and either improve it, or drop it from my portfolio.

Anyway, thanks for the question, and I hope my reply helped.

All the best!
    Jan 28, 2015. 02:58 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Restructuring My Dividend Portfolio, Part 1: Using Options To Boost Income Flow [View article]
    Hi Mantraviz,
    Thanks for your comment. I have just started selling puts so I don't have much experience to speak of. I have recently sold some T, GE and JNJ puts at levels where prices look attractive technically (and fundamentally, but mainly technically). All the puts I sold are currently down at the moment. I'm obviously hoping it stays like that.

Like yours, my strategy is to sell puts plus-minus 30 days away. I'm fine with things as short as a day or two, if there is opportunity, or if the options decline too much. I'm glad to hear that the strategy has worked well for you.

All the best & Good luck!
    Jan 23, 2015. 07:29 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Hi surfgeezer,
    Thanks for your valuable input. You really make things very clear for all of us.

All the best!