Onuora Amobi

View Onuora Amobi's Comments BY TICKER:
  • The Real Reason Microsoft Is Losing Money On Its Surface Line Of Tablets [View article]
    Hi Alex,

Let me add that I really respect you and liked your article. We just disagree. :-)

OK, here's my thinking.

If a company came out of the blue and made a watch with the same cost, finish, quality and precision as a Rolex and called it "Wolex", would people buy it for Rolex prices? The answer is no.

That's simply because that company has no reputation, heritage or track record for quality watches.

Likewise despite the quality and rhetoric, Microsoft will find it EXTREMELY difficult to create a premium tablet with a marketplace that has premium products much cheaper.

In this situation, I think the path to profitability is sell at a loss and become a loss leader.

At $499 to $999, the conversation about the Surface tablets changes. It becomes a no brainer. Then at some point in the future when the public is used to Microsoft as a hardware maker, then they should release "premium" brands at higher prices.

It's easy to forget that Microsoft up until lately was just a Software company. They're asking the public to take 2 leaps of faith:

1 - believe they can make good hardware
    2 - believe they can make good hardware at premium prices

It may be too much to ask.
    Aug 14 10:47 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    You said

The only part I don't agree is this: "The tablet would do very well if priced aggressively".

Then later you say:

The only reason the tablet is not selling is because it doesn't offer good value for the money.

Hmmmm....

:-)
    Aug 14 10:36 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 9 Takeaways From Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella's Interview At The Recode.Net Code Conference [View article]
    You make a nice defense but I don't buy it. He's the CEO of the largest software company in the world.

All he had to say was "I had my reservations in the beginning but.." and he clearly chose not to.

He was very clear he didn't want to discuss his and that was striking.

Thanks for the comment.
    May 28 09:08 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Yeah that makes sense.

Still troubling though because so much blood sweat and tears have gone into Windows Phone.
    May 28 09:04 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    You're very welcome.
    May 28 09:03 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • No. The Microsoft Surface Pro 3 Will Not Replace My Laptop [View article]
    Actually the Microsoft SP3 will ship on June 20th.
    May 26 10:21 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Windows 8.1 With Bing: Microsoft Continues To Push Windows Pricing Closer To Free [View article]
    I know but how is he making the phone calls?
    May 25 01:26 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Are you talking about Skype?
    May 24 10:49 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Yeah it will be a Trojan horse but the consumer will appreciate not paying $119 for it.
    May 23 08:20 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Actually Windows revenue doesn't really keep Microsoft afloat anymore, their enterprise products do now.

Windows is sunsetting as a cash cow. It might take a while but that's where it's going.
    May 23 08:20 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I think so too.
    May 23 08:18 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Microsoft May Have A Hit With Surface Pro 3... Here Are The 5 Things I Will Be Looking For [View article]
    Time will tell.

Thanks for the comment...
    May 22 01:44 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks.

On the surface (pun intended) it would seem that you are correct. It looks a lot better and sounds better in principle.

We have to see if the actual execution matches the marketing.

Thanks for the comment.
    May 22 12:48 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    That's my gut reaction as well but I am trying to keep an open mind.

I have ordered mine and will do a follow up article in a month with my feedback.

Thanks for the comment.
    May 22 12:46 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 8 Reasons Why Microsoft Needs To Buy SAP Right Now [View article]
    Thanks for the comment.

The problem with that is Oracle, Workday and SAP will continue to target that market as well now that large companies are saturated.

The scramble for mid size companies has been going on for a while...
    May 21 10:45 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment