Option Maestro

View Option Maestro's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Financials Surge Again: 10 Ways to Profit and Protect [View article]
    Looks like a bullish uptrend. Higher highs and higher lows over the past month and a half. I'll keep an eye on it thanks.

On Jul 17 03:07 PM Freya wrote:

> Marco: Took your advice sold 500@$3.66. The Cost for the remaining
    > 500 drops below a $1.
    > also sold 100 FAS, basically because if CIT goes Kerplunk, The System
    > has a real problem for a "while".
    > Are you technically inclined? If so take a Gander at the Chart of
    > NVAX over the last 6 months. I picked up another 2,000 at $3.0599.
    Jul 18, 2009. 05:25 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Financials Surge Again: 10 Ways to Profit and Protect [View article]
    Hey Freya, yes I think CIT is in big trouble and done for. Good play.

On Jul 17 02:49 AM Freya wrote:

> sethmcs, I bought 1000 of CIT's 8.75% PFDs, can't write Puts. At
    > my price, my yield will be 200% annually if they do not go Bankrupt.
    > I liked the odds.
    Jul 17, 2009. 09:30 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Are Sirius XM Insider Sales a Buy Signal? [View article]
    Good write up, but I'm sure Sirius won't report a profitable quarter for quite a while. The stock however could rise on a good outlook. Maybe the insiders are expecting auto sales to increase, which would be good news for (SIRI). The bad news is: if they beat, the stock is less than 4% shorted, which wouldn't result in too much of a short squeeze. We'd need some Sirius speculation first and along with that short interest will increase, and then a beat would be nice and I believe would cause a bigger move up. Holding my shares, I wish they'd hurry up and rally.
    Jul 17, 2009. 03:08 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Financials Surge Again: 10 Ways to Profit and Protect [View article]
    The name of this post should have been "Financials Surge Again: 10 Ways to Profit and Protect" like the original post from my blog.
    Jul 16, 2009. 11:10 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Goldman Sachs Crushes Earnings Estimates [View article]
    I believe all the banks will blow away numbers, this due to the relaxed accounting rules.

On Jul 14 11:58 PM Ricard wrote:

> Are these earnings legitimate? I ask because companies like Citigroup
    > have been coming out with their own 'stellar' earnings in the past
    > couple of months.
    > It seems GS has a white-knight reputation amongst its shareholders,
    > but it does seem a little odd that it is doing so well while other
    > publicly traded firms flounder or die off outright. That and the
    > news surrounding its program trading scandal do add an air of...ill-repute.
    Jul 15, 2009. 12:17 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Leveraged ETFs Are Bound to Deteriorate [View article]
    Write deeper in the money call options. You'll be protected on the downside with the premium you receive, and just hope the market doesn't rally too much, as if you don't get called out your likely to return a gain. Writing for longer option expiration's may be tempting, but in my opinion writing for the shorter term (for the upcoming expiration) pays more over the course of your position and is less risky as well. If you need help with options check out the E-Book I wrote or visit: optionmaestro.blogspot...

On Jul 13 07:34 PM fjpenney wrote:

> There is no shortage of articles written about leveraged ETF decay
    > but, as was noted by User 243258, the returns generated by leveraged
    > ETF's are path dependent. Here in Canada, Horizons Beta Pro reps
    > have made that point clear whenever they appeared before the media.
    > Lawrence:
    > You make an excellent point - if the decay is so certain, why not
    > short the leveraged ETF's. I tried to short QLD through my Canadian
    > broker but was advised that they didn't have any QLD and that it
    > was very difficult for them to offer any of the US ETF's for shorting.
    > I'd like to hear from others on this.
    > I use the leveraged ETF QLD (Proshares Ultra QQQ) in conjunction
    > with my own timer and am pleased with the results. The volatility
    > is definitely not for everyone.
    Jul 13, 2009. 08:32 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Short the Market with These 19 ETF Option Strategies [View article]
    The contracts become non-standard option contracts. Each contract (1 contract) is now for 20 shares of FAS and 10 shares of FAZ. You would have received these in place of your standard option contracts before the split.

On Jul 10 03:28 PM User 445042 wrote:

> What happens with the options now that FAZ has reverse split? Supposing
    > you sold 4 contracts (=400 shares). Now you own 40 shares and the
    > contract becomes 0.4??
    Jul 10, 2009. 04:12 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Alternate Short Strategy: Purchasing Put Protection for Less (Part I) [View article]
    Jul 10, 2009. 11:31 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Short the Market with These 19 ETF Option Strategies [View article]
    Thanks today would be a good day to open these on market strength (weakness in these shorts).

On Jul 08 09:37 AM Bar Lock wrote:

> Lots of ideas worth looking at. Good analysis.
    Jul 9, 2009. 01:42 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 5 Reasons to Buy Gulfport Energy [View article]
    This strategy is explained at the bottom of the article. I state the theo value is $10 per contract. Assuming I could get the rights to anything above $7.50 on 100 shares of this for $10 versus buying 100 shares for $680 my cost of opening the call position would be less than 2% of buying 100 shares. Although I am more likely to lose 100% of my investment (if it doesn't get over the strike price) it is only $10 compared to if the very volatile stock goes down.

On Jun 29 08:11 AM ArtfulDodger wrote:

> Macro Hickey wrote: "I have also started using a new strategy as
    > this stock can move down very fast and although I can lose 100% of
    > my investment it is less than 2% of the risk of buying the common
    > shares and watching the stock go to zero."
    > Said what?
    Jun 29, 2009. 12:56 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 15 Possible Healthcare Breakout Stocks [View article]
    I don't want anyone to invest in anything. These are companies I am watching and decided to share it.

On Jun 29 12:08 PM finmah@yahoo.com wrote:

> You want us to invest in healthcare - but you don't know what to
    > make of a very controversial plan that has been in the news since
    > the campaign and will require a political majority. We have heard
    > from every corner that this is a wonderful plan that will reduce
    > costs. That should impact some of these stocks. I think the best
    > advice is to follow the money on this one.
    Jun 29, 2009. 12:30 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 5 Reasons to Buy Gulfport Energy [View article]
    Yes sorry for not being more clear. A 7.50 Call contract gives me the right to the shares (100 per contract) at $7.50 until the July options expiration. In return I pay a premium for this "right". The theoretical price or the theo value is the most probable value you could open or close the contract for. This splits the bid/ask price, and as I wrote this article the ask was $20 per contract and there was not a bid ($0 per contract); think of it as averaging the bid and ask prices.

On Jun 29 09:05 AM Shale Gas wrote:

> "I have been speculating with this stock by purchasing the July 7.50
    > Call contracts. The theoretical price at which they can be purchased
    > is $10 a piece."
    > Can you please explain this statement?
    Jun 29, 2009. 12:28 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Palm F4Q09 (Qtr End 5/29/09) Earnings Call Transcript [View article]
    Yea, inflation isn't that bad yet lol.

On Jun 26 06:41 AM Hedged In wrote:

> "As you know, their data network is terrific and by using Sprint,
    > you actually save a lot of money, something on the order of $800,000
    > over a two-year period."
    > Wow! People pay $800,000 for wireless service over 2 years??!! <br/>
    > I guess that should be: "$800 to a thousand dollars".
    > :-)
    Jun 26, 2009. 08:58 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Don't Let the Banks Break You: Hedge Yourself with These 15 Option Strategies [View article]
    Check my blog again, you must not have looked to hard.

On Jun 24 10:31 AM LanceLink wrote:

> Bernie --
    > Here are the problems with this, and other articles that Marco writes:
    > First, he bases his "return" on the possibility that the stock will
    > be assigned. This is just based upon the hope that the stock will
    > rise to the higher strike price. Basing your returns "if assigned"
    > is a shaky strategy.
    > Second, he keeps listing a column of numbers that he says is the
    > "current probability" that the stock will reach that strike price.
    > He does not explain the basis for that calculation in this article,
    > nor has he ever explained it (I've checked his blog, it's not there
    > either). Yes, Marco, I understand that there may be some extrapolation
    > you can make from the option price and the volatility, etc. about
    > the chances that a stock may reach a certain price, but it's all
    > just hope.
    > Writing calls is a solid strategy for income, but articles like this
    > are not particularly useful.
    > Write ATM for maximum return and protection.
    Jun 24, 2009. 06:01 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Four Speculations for the Month Ahead [View article]
    Yes I am sorry I must have got ahead of myself and was thinking of ACH which is slightly below it on the list. Thanks for catching that.

On Jun 15 08:02 AM sewells wrote:

> Rubicon Minerals is not based in China. It's a small gold exploration
    > and development company in Canada with a notable discovery in Redlake
    > at the F2 - Phoenix zone. I bought a bunch at $.80 a share and it