View as an RSS Feed
View Otaviano Canuto's Articles BY TICKER:
3 Perspectives On Brazilian Growth Pessimism
- It has become increasingly evident over the last two years that the growth engine of the Brazilian economy has run out of steam.
- Three factors once responsible for Brazil’s growth acceleration have underpinned three strands of growth pessimism that have become prevalent in recent economic commentary on the future direction of Brazil.
- The main risk facing Brazil and its economy is the specter of mediocre growth over a protracted period of time against a counterfactual potential of opportunity.
Secular Stagnation: A Working Pair Of Scissors Needs 2 Blades
- Asset bubbles may have offset underlying stagnation trends.
- Keynesians point to demand-side insufficiencies.
- Schumpeterians suggest that creative destruction may be stymied by demand-side management.
Crisis Recovery: Flying On A Single Engine
Editors' Pick • Thu, Mar. 6 • 8 Comments
- A new “great depression” has been avoided.
- However, recovery has been sluggish and feeble.
- The crisis response has been single-handedly based on monetary policy.
- Clogged Metropolitan Arteries
- China And Emerging Markets: Riding Wild Horses
- Sovereign Wealth Funds Are Coming Home
- Calibrating 2014
- Brazil, Korea: 2 Tales Of A Macroprudential Regulation
Elephants And Macro-Financial Linkages
Nov. 16, 2013 • 2 Comments
- Moving Past The Commodity Supercycle: Are We There Yet?
- A Billion-Dollar Opportunity For Developing Countries
- QE Tapering A Wake-Up Call For Emerging Markets
- Resource-Backed Investment Finance In Least Developed Countries
South-South Trade Through Value Added Glasses
Sep. 20, 2013 • Comment!
Facilitating Trade, Facilitating Development
Sep. 10, 2013 • Comment!
Finance As An Economic Cholesterol
Sep. 3, 2013 • Comment!
- Emerging Markets Sell-Off: What's Next?
- Development Banks And The Post-Crisis Blues In Investment Finance
- Mercosur: Toward A Quasi-Common Economy Approach?
Fiscal Policy Renaissance In Developing Countries
Aug. 11, 2013 • Comment!
- Connecting Wagons: Why And How To Help Lagging Regions Catch Up
- Gender Equality Pays Off In Brazil
GDP: Not All That Glitters Is Gold
Jul. 17, 2013 • Comment!
Mobilizing Development Via Mobile Phones
Jul. 14, 2013 • Comment!
Until Subnational Debt Do Us Part
Jul. 11, 2013 • Comment!
- Revolutionary Services
It's Jobs, Stupid!
Jul. 7, 2013 • 12 Comments
Diamonds May Be Forever, Natural Resource Wealth Is Not
Jul. 5, 2013 • Comment!
Credit Ratings For All!
Jul. 1, 2013 • 1 Comment
Shifting Tectonic Plates Under Global Banking
Jun. 24, 2013 • Comment!
- Brazil: Chasing Animal Spirits
- What It Takes For Trade To Reduce Poverty In Africa