Paco Ahlgren

View Paco Ahlgren's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Bitcoin Vs. Gold [View article]
    I disagree. There are many technologies I have been using for more than 20 years that only get better over time. The world is ready for Bitcoin. I'm surprised someone with tech acumen wouldn't recognize the value in peer-to-peer encryption in a DHT. It's so elegant and simple... and in five years, it has never failed (although plenty of people have tried).

Your trepidation will be a missed opportunity.
    May 18, 2014. 01:41 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Bitcoin Vs. Gold [View article]
    You should yell your points louder, so we all get them.
    May 15, 2014. 12:41 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Bitcoin Vs. Gold [View article]
    Yelling makes you look more stable and well-versed. Great arguments. I especially like the part about the gun and the jackhammer. It sounds like your investment is highly liquid and portable.
    May 15, 2014. 10:13 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Bitcoin Vs. Gold [View article]
    That's a very intelligent, cogent argument.
    May 13, 2014. 07:42 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Bitcoin Vs. Gold [View article]
    The Bitcoin protocol was created by a pseudonymous person (or people) named Satoshi Nakamoto. The first Bitcoins were extracted from the network (mined) in 2009.

Future Bitcoins will be "mined" by using computers to solve algorithmic calculations of increasing or decreasing difficulty -- depending on the number of participants. The total number of Bitcoins that can ever be created is capped at 21 million. After that, no more will ever be mined.

You can (and thousands of people have) create a new cryptocurrency right now. Examples are Litecoin, Namecoin, and Dogecoin. They have no bearing on the relative supply of Bitcoin -- any more than palladium or silver affect the supply of gold.
    May 13, 2014. 10:59 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Bitcoin Vs. Gold [View article]
    It is impossible to claim that something with a consistent global market value has "no value." It doesn't require any effort to see the immediate contradiction of your statement.

If I were trying to evade -- or distract readers from -- some core premise of value-comparisons between Bitcoin and gold, I might be able to accept your ascription of "sophistry." You've misused the word, however, in your incomplete attempt to undermine the analysis. Your comment is nothing more than a capricious hit-and-run, and doesn't leave the audience with anything substantive.

"Value" is a subjective construct employed by individual actors, trillions of times a day, in markets all over the globe. You'll have to do better than this if you want to establish that Bitcoin is "something of no value."
    May 13, 2014. 10:03 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Keynesian Solvency Standoff and the Case for Shorting Treasuries [View article]
    It scared you off because that's what it was supposed to do.

The United States' wealth isn't infinite. It can't buy Treasuries indefinitely. Global interest rates are much more powerful than anything Bernanke can conjure. He plays a dangerous game, and I'm going to wait it out...
    Sep 27, 2010. 10:02 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Are you saying the republic wasn't founded on the principles that Mill eventually adopted? And are you suggesting those principles are still a part of our government today?
    Sep 27, 2010. 09:56 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    When we refer to gold hitting record highs, we are, of course, talking about the highest prices in three decades -- not all-time highs. But those will be taken out soon enough too.

BottomViolation.com
    Sep 27, 2010. 06:55 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I do advocate a gold standard -- or, more accurately, asset-backed currencies.

BottomViolation.com
    Sep 27, 2010. 06:53 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Bernanke's Absurd Proposal to Eliminate Reserve Requirements [View article]
    Yes... you're Austrian. Sort of like Keynes was Austrian...
    Mar 21, 2010. 05:32 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Bernanke's Absurd Proposal to Eliminate Reserve Requirements [View article]
    You just called me "dude," then told me my "credibility is shot," and then compared me to someone named "Rush Lim."

I'm reeling from the volume of quality information I just received about myself. Nonetheless, I think I can find the dignity to reply:

Bernanke IS making tough decisions. And his decisions are horrible. They are destroying the United States dollar, and the country's standing as an economic power. I DO disagree with him, and I think he IS evil for executing plans that will so adversely affect so many billions of people. Starvation, unemployment, hyper-inflation, and pain ARE evil.

And comparing me to "Rush Lim" is like comparing me to Cheech Marin; it just doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

So I guess that clears that up. Dude.

Paco Ahlgren
    BottomViolation.com
    Mar 21, 2010. 11:40 AM | 10 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Quantitative Easing's Unwanted Consequences [View article]
    You're just making noise now. I've written hundreds of articles answering all of your questions. Fire up your printer, kick off your shoes, and enjoy my answers.

In the meantime, I will give you this: if you really believe that quantitative easing isn't a Keynesian policy, then you are delusional.
    Mar 12, 2010. 12:45 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Quantitative Easing's Unwanted Consequences [View article]
    I've avoided this thread to now, but I can't stand it anymore...

Economists who think the economy would be in better shape without quantitative easing:

- Walter Williams
    - Peter Schiff
    - Jim Rogers
    - Marc Faber
    - Chris Martenson
    - Don Boudreaux
    - Ludwig von Mises
    - F.A. Hayek
    - Carl Mencken
    - About 1,000,000 others

And, last but not least, there's John Maynard Keynes -- who repudiated his own ridiculous theories before he died.

Vox Rationalis [sic], don't beg for authorities in a forum full of people armed to the teeth with economic and epistemological prowess. It's just not very smart.

By the way, asking for a reference and then claiming it doesn't exist -- absent a rebuttal -- is a glaring logical fallacy. Just so you know.

Paco Ahlgren
    BottomViolation.com
    Mar 12, 2010. 10:06 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Stocks Are on the Fence Waiting for Inflation and / or Earnings [View article]
    <<you should call yours the Loon..would be appropriate>>

How can I possibly continue to believe my theories in the face of this kind of persuasive (and clearly profound) argumentation?

I hereby renounce my positions. I am now a Keynesian. Thank you, Econdoc, for showing me how stupid I was.

Paco Ahlgren