Paolo Gorgo

View Paolo Gorgo's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Immersion Corporation: A Negative Market View May Turn Into A Buying Opportunity [View article]
    Historically, there have always been very few analysts following the company (Feltl & Co., Dougherty) - coverage has just recently expanded from two to probably four companies (with the addition of Sidoti, Ascendiant Capital). I hope I'm not forgetting anyone - in the past Capstone was also following the company (quite poorly in my view).

Turn around companies like Immersion are probably more attractive for established analysts once the story meets certain criteria - like turn around clearly in place, a higher market cap, strong institutional interest.

As a Seeking Alpha contributor I see an opportunity to share my diligence especially in under followed situations like these, and in the early days before the inflection point is reached (you can't really add much to Apple that hasn't been already analyzed, when you think about it, but a lot to these "unknown stories").

Time will tell if the story unfolds nicely - so far, it's been an interesting trip.

Thanks for your comment.
    Mar 18 05:37 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    The beauty of a black swan is its total unpredictability... I think there may be some stocks/sectors trading above real value, but I do not expect a market crash.

As always, it's fair to remember that my crystal ball has proven wrong in the past...

Thanks of your comment.
    Mar 18 04:01 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Jamba Juice Q4 Results: Back On Track? [View article]
    hard to guess a number on an initiative that added 1,000 locations late in the year, and we really have few data about - we'll probably need to wait and see.

Optimistic about JambaGO until proven wrong...

New target prices:

Jamba (NASDAQ:JMBA) had its target price lifted by Roth Capital to $13.50

Jamba (NASDAQ:http://bit.ly/1fRmtcD) had its target price lifted by Canaccord Genuity from $14.00 to $15.00

Mar 11 03:36 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Jamba Juice Q4 Results: Back On Track? [View article]
    CPG seems to have underperformed - at least compared to management's own expectations ($5 million in 2013, $ 8 million in 2014, etc.).

I am still optimistic about JambaGO, which seems an interesting high margin, low upfront investment revenue generator, assuming some expectations ($2,000 per unit) are proven correct over a large number of installations.

Thanks for your comment.
    Mar 10 11:06 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Worthless Paper [View instapost]
    the disclosure statement said that the shares were worthless - the company is now owned by Berg. I haven't followed recently as I sold (and took my loss) a while ago.

Unlike in several other cases, there was no bidding war - so it was relatively easy for Berg to take the company private.
    Mar 7 10:47 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Immersion Corporation's Story Finally Unfolding [View article]
    I wouldn't trust that datum from Yahoo key statistics much. We shouldn't forget IMMR has just delivered a great quarter in terms of EPS, but thanks to a one time event. Absent the release of a tax valuation allowance related to net deferred tax assets, that ratio would be quite different.

Going by heart, Microsoft has free access to the company's IP (patents). Windows Phone does not include haptics, to my knowledge. If it did, Immersion could still get some sort of partnership if MSFT agreed to leverage the company's competence implementing haptics in its mobile OS. I don't see Windows phone as a winning platform right now, so I wouldn't be too concerned about it.

Several Apple patents related to haptics reference IMMR. The latest iOS updates widen a bit the use of haptic effects - however, IMMR has never publicly stated if it believes this is infringing its IP or not. My two cents: Apple is aware of IMMR and its IP, but doesn't feel it needs to fully implement haptics right now into its products.
    On the positive side, it was Apple that established the touchscreen as a must have in smartphones - just to say it generated so far an indirect, positive effect for IMMR. Time will tell if a partnership is possible.

To close my short commentary, there are predictions for 1.8 billion smartphones sold in 2018:

>I forecast that by the end of 2018 the annual sales of smartphones will be approximately 1.8 billion. Every time I think about this single number it astonishes me. Every year, almost 2 billion smartphones are sold. Astounding. There may not be a single product with this kind of total addressable market.

Most of these smartphones may have Android as an OS, and IMMR is uniquely positioned to take a small fee on each of them (just for basic haptics. A bigger one for higher end devices that also implement its more refined effects). Over-simplifying, this fact alone is a very good reason to keep an eye on the company (and a very good reason to build a bullish case in the long term). Add to that Automotive and Media as lottery tickets (automotive is more than just a lottery ticket, but will require some time to develop).
    Feb 26 06:34 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Better Way To Play Net Neutrality [View article]
    >Netflix pays Equinix for the bits it needs, and Equinix pays Comcast.

Equinix is not in the business of selling bandwidth.

Netflix is a long time customer:

Their decision to build their own CDN service probably increased they need for cabinets at Equinix (or any other data center providers), to put their own servers.

If Netflix starts buying bandwidth directly from Comcast, everything Equinix is providing is a connection (cross connect) between the two - a great high margin business, as it is a cable that, once installed, is then charged monthly (90% profit).
    Feb 26 03:17 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Nokia's Android Strategy Leading Customers To Microsoft Services, Unlikely To Lay The Groundwork To Create Future Lumia Owners [View article]
    Michael,

thanks for your comment.

You are correct, an upgrade is going to happen in a few years, and we both do not know how the Windows Phone ecosystem will look like. Point taken.

PS: be patient for my wrong use of love/like - as English is my third language, I take that as a compliment. I could have done much worse... :-)
    Feb 24 11:25 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I agree that this strategy will give Microsoft the opportunity to force many customers to get "their first Microsoft ID" and experience several Microsoft services, especially in emerging markets. See also this interesting commentary:

However, it is also an admission of defeat, to a certain degree. MSFT needs to lure customers using Android rather than approaching directly them with its own OS, which has no real cost to them, because of its lack of attractiveness (ecosystem).

Time will tell. Thanks for your comment.
    Feb 24 10:40 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Our List Of Questions For Immersion Corporation [View article]
    Yes, you are correct, both SYNA and IMMR share the same outside I/R firm.

In its field, IMMR has very little competition. Its IP in haptics (covered by several hundred patents) is quite unique. Sometimes some companies that are believed to be competitors, are really just licensees, or need to license some IP from IMMR to operate.

As to acquisition target, that's a possibility (the elephant in the room). However, the more IMMR executes on its business plan, the less likely probably to happen.
    Feb 24 08:45 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Pacific Ethanol: West Coast Ethanol Margins Indicate Large Profits Starting Q4 2013 [View article]
    Nice article, and a great summary of the PEIX bullish case.

Thanks.
    Feb 24 06:12 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Our List Of Questions For Immersion Corporation [View article]
    I'd describe SYNA more as a potential partner than a competitor. For example, in the past, the two companies worked together on a concept phone:

Not familiar with PLNR, to be honest. I'll have a look.

Thanks for your comment.
    Feb 19 01:57 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Future Of Mobile Payments: Part I [View article]
    Great article, thanks.
    Feb 18 04:33 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Galena Biopharma Issues Letter To Shareholders, And A Case Of Insider Seller's Remorse [View article]
    I may be old fashioned: I believe management should not be rewarded through a 'pump and dump'.
    Feb 18 04:06 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    I am sure you know what a quote is - if you read the article again you might notice your criticism should be addressed to another person.
    Feb 18 04:02 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment