Patience\ Virtue

View Patience\ Virtue's Comments BY TICKER:
AAPL, AXP, CAT, DLR, IBM, JNJ, JWN, KO, PEP, PG, PPL, SO, T, TGH, TGT
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • Why Do Dividend Growth Investors Like Price Pullbacks So Much? [View article]
    Agreed...and not just because it is my handle!
    Oct 17 04:47 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Meaning Of The Dividend Boom [View article]
    "Caterpillar (CAT) and Target (TGT) are just two of the non-techs that are now raising dividends. United Technologies (UTX) is also raising its pay-out."

"Dividends go away, and in the Great Recession they went away in a big way."

CAT has raised its dividend 18 years in a row. Dividends from 08-11 were $1.56, $1.68, $1.72, and $1.84.
    TGT has raised its dividend 44 (!) years in a row. Dividends from 08-11 were $0.60, $0.68, $0.84, and $1.20.
    UTX has raised its dividend 17 years in a row. Dividends from 08-11 were $1.35, $1.54, $1.70, and $1.92.

I believe your point is valid but your examples are absolutely horrendous.
    Jun 14 02:14 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I Now Own IBM [View article]
    cdelaware,
    I like your comment because it got me thinking. In the end I think that I understand but don't love the blackjack analogy since it implies an end to the game and that I only have one or two cards to win. I like to think that I am in for the longterm and therefore don't really care what the next card is.

In other words, it's like I am holding 15 and since I have been counting cards (reviewing past earnings history), I know that there's a reasonable chance that the next card will be good...a 5 maybe. If instead I get a 7 (busting me), I can ignore it in this game since my timeframe is a bit longer. Of course it's a lot easier for me to say that now than after I've lost 10 games in a row.

Thanks for commenting though.
    Oct 24 01:59 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Who Doesn't Like Dividends? [View article]
    Yeah...saw the other one. I'm glad you found value in both.

Thanks!
    Nov 19 05:54 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Procter & Gamble: When 57 Years Of Dividend Growth Aren't Enough [View article]
    There's at least a couple of things going on there. First the retailers are exerting enormous pressure via private label (generics) which forces branded goods manufacturers to decide if they want to push prices down or up. Usually they will decide at least with some of the brands to try to push prices up.

The other part is that their products are usually both expensive and work well...
    Oct 14 02:13 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Who Doesn't Like Dividends? [View article]
    Thanks for sharing!
    Nov 19 05:54 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Get Your Dividend Growth 'Off The Grid': Part 2 - Planet Earth [View article]
    I appreciate the contrarian view to the article and dividend paying portfolios in general. I believe more constructive contrarian arguments should be solicited here. That being said, I don't agree with your assertion.

It would seem to me that the financial industry would be loathe to push a dividend investing strategy since it is more accepting of buy and hold. Without the "selling" part of it, they lose half of potential commissions. On the contrary, if they were to push a strategy to avoid "expensive" dividend payers and liquidate holdings to cover income requirements, they would clearly receive more commissions.

There is also the whole problem with a flat statement that dividend stocks are overvalued by 30-50%. This is true in certain cases but is not true across the board. At any given time, some sectors are overvalued and some are undervalued. Every sector has dividend payers and every (or at least most) has dividend growth companies.
    Oct 31 11:05 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Are U.S. Stocks Cheap Based On 12-Month Forward PE For The S&P 500? Part I [View article]
    Liked the article and think it makes interesting points. I understand your critique about top-down vs. bottom-up calculations but in the absence of any information describing how widely they have diverged historically, it's hard to agree that it matters. After all, the numbers you cite in your article are darn close to one another.

There is a certain irony in the fact that there are then three camps of prognosticators - the Bulls saying the PE is LOW!, the Bears saying the PE is HIGH!, and JAK who says it's neither. All we need now is somebody saying the PE is both HIGH and LOW. ;)
    Apr 20 01:18 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • I Couldn't Find Value In AT&T [View article]
    Best of luck and thanks for sharing.
    Dec 13 04:11 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I'm Sticking With Digital Realty [View article]
    Sadly I think you are correct that you'll buy more before you sell more. In fact I was tempted to not even write this article since I believe the stock price will go down before it goes up and it's hard to endorse that...
    Nov 8 05:30 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I'm Sticking With Digital Realty [View article]
    In hindsight and especially where I have bought in, I would tend to agree. The thing is that it started as overvalued, then returned to a fair value, then got hit by a lot of short term flak which has knocked it down. The only reason I do not believe it is a falling knife is that operational results have not moved down.

It should be noted thought that the cynic in me is tempted to finish that last sentence with "have not moved down YET."

Thanks for participating.
    Nov 8 05:29 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I'm Sticking With Digital Realty [View article]
    Bikerguy -
    Thanks for your comments. I read Brad's articles with regularity and believe in the case he has laid out for DLR. I do believe that the failures in image have harmed the stock more than the failures in execution at the organization. This definitely supports the value of a new IR guy. At the same time, there needs to be better execution moving forward.

Thanks for reading!
    Nov 8 05:26 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I Now Own IBM [View article]
    Brian,
    Thanks for commenting. I stuck to the earnings and cashflow charts because I believe these are the two most important and out of sheer inertia since that is the format I've come to follow. My mistake because you bring up a fair point. In my defense however I did touch on flat revenues at various points in the text.

Thanks for commenting.
    Oct 24 01:50 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    RAS -
    Nothing wrong with that at all. The important thing we all have to remember is that no matter what investment we choose we have to go in with eyes wide open and understand why we are invested...which you clearly do.

Thanks for participating
    Oct 14 02:15 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Day Trader - I appreciate your comment but I also do not want to suggest that @rnsmith stop commenting. I do not believe he is trying to answer for me. He may be the loudest voice in the room right now but that doesn't mean what he says doesn't have merit.

Thanks again for participating though.
    Oct 11 03:49 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment