Patrick Lowry

View Patrick Lowry's Comments BY TICKER:
  • The Wet Seal. A Perfect First Choice For The POS Portfolio [View instapost]
    I'm thinking you could add COSI to the list.
    Jun 11 02:08 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Cbeyond Struggling To Gain Traction [View instapost]
    Agree with your analysis. Great value prior to merger announcement, not so much now.
    Jun 7 10:20 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Boat Naming Help Needed [View instapost]
    How about:
    Liberty or
    Carpe Diem
    May 13 09:28 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Rand Capital Trades At A Significant Discount To Its Growing Book Value [View article]
    Although I agree the area is tough and overall not booming economically (I grew up there), I think one of Rand's advantages is the ability to identify and cultivate relationships with potential up and coming businesses in the region. Small, high growth tech companies continue to sprout up regardless of rust belt, and Rand may be first to the party because they are local.
    Mar 23 05:18 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Activism Forum [View instapost]
    For those that dabble in ultra nano-cap, Winland Electronics (OTCPK:WELX). Also, Transworld Corporation (OTCQB:TWOC).
    Mar 20 05:17 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • PTGi Holding: Phil Falcone's Next Deal Vehicle Offers Multiple Sources Of Upside [View article]
    Brad,
    Great article, especially description of NOLs and rights offering. I hadn't thought of the potential with rights offering as financing vehicle. I bought some after first 13D and then more after DG got involved. Should be interesting how this plays out.
    Mar 20 12:22 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • CommonWealth REIT (CWH) [View instapost]
    Chris, good call on this. I love that the whole board got axed. I noticed this one a year ago when the 13D was filed but it seemed to shoot up quick on that news so lost track of it. I could hardly believe the things that these folks were doing when I read the filing. Type of thing you see in private companies with co-ownership, but not public. Gotta give credit to the activists. Wish we could change our government officials on an annual basis as well.
    Mar 19 05:16 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Closed-End Fund Forum [View instapost]
    I will go out on a limb and say Rand Capital, a nano cap BDC closed end fund. They recently realized 5x on a portfolio investment and their biggest portfolio company investment (Gemcor) now generates more dividend income annually than the original cost. Also, the dividends pay all their operating expenses and then some. Discount currently @ 25%. Nice way to participate in venture/private equity deals without being uber wealthy.
    Mar 19 04:37 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Solitron Devices: Undervalued Nano-Cap Offers 65% Upside [View article]
    Good article. A couple of things to note. If you look at the yield on enterprise value (excluding cash and investments), the earnings yield is more like 27%. Therefore, using cash (earning .001%) currently to buy shares makes a whole lot of sense. Also, there are 2 activist investor groups involved with this. Current CEO seems bent on hoarding cash unless forced to do otherwise. I am hoping all shareholders step up and force the issue.
    Mar 14 10:52 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Activism Forum [View instapost]
    An oldie but a goodie, SODI. Gobs of cash, profitable business and 2 activist groups. I'll also throw in DAEG and JCDAF. Solid activists behind each.
    Feb 27 04:40 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Will An Operational Breakup Give Cliffs Natural A Much-Needed Push? [View article]
    Nice analysis. I believe Casablanca mentioned more aggressive cost cutting in their letter which IMO, is a good idea.
    Feb 17 01:23 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Cliffs Natural Resources Has Immediate Upside Potential [View article]
    What do the convertible preferred shares currently trade for? Any discount to par?
    Feb 13 05:25 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Investors Are Judging Legal Technology Provider Daegis Guilty Despite Evidence To The Contrary [View article]
    John,
    Thanks for the write up on this. I have been watching since Mr. Pessin disclosed his position. My concern is on the legal side, there seems to be less litigation going on out there. They are making the right moves but the debt gives me some heartache here, given the declining revenue/cash flow. If they disclose some client wins, it could take off. However, I liked it more @ $.90 or so where Mr. Pessin got in.
    Feb 4 11:26 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Expect Darden Shareholder Pressure To Intensify [View article]
    Nice analysis. I believe Starboard suggests the profit margins are even worse vs. comparables after considering the impact of real estate owned.
    Feb 2 09:41 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How Obama's 'MyRA' Plan Will Impact The U.S. Economy [View article]
    Some regulation is needed, absolutely. However, the main point of capitalism is not greed. If all business owners are greedy, then those that don't work must be lazy?? Don't think so. Capitalism has been unique in the world in its ability to unlock the power of individual creativity, ingenuity and perseverance so business owners, their employees can lead a better life. If you build better products, produce better services, you will succeed PERIOD. This leads to more opportunities, higher wages, more saving and investment = individual freedom. That is why most people come here from other countries, for the opportunity to succeed, not to participate in Ocare or start a myRA account.
    Feb 2 08:54 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment