Patrick_Smith

View Patrick_Smith's Comments BY TICKER:
  • As Social Media Competition Heats Up, Facebook Displays Palpable Aggression [View article]
    While it may be good for profits in the short-term, isn't this the type of action that could push Facebook users to a more friendly Google+?
    Jan 25 04:47 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Facebook's Drop Following 'Graph Search' Announcement An Overreaction [View article]
    I agree, I see the graph search as a function very similar to the 'like' button. While it may be difficult to monetize, it improves the user's experience, further ingraining Facebook in the user's life.
    Jan 23 11:07 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Possibly through the purchase of a company like Yelp... Targeted advertising for activities you would do with friends
    Jan 22 12:01 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Can Facebook Monetize Instagram? [View article]
    Could FB find some way to target ads based on information gathered from pictures (hashtags might be one way)?
    Jan 21 05:48 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Recently I was looking to rent out a basketball court to play with my friends. I was looking for 12 people, so we could play full-court. I was able to find 5 or 6 close friends pretty easily, but to fill out the rest of the twelve I had to send out mass-texts to my friends to see who would be interested in playing. I feel that Graph Search would have been helpful in this case
    Jan 18 12:10 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I think it is easy to imagine an experience like this. You say to your phone; " Find me people who live in NYC and play tennis". It gives you a list of your friends who fit that description, and the names of the top tennis courts in your area. A purchase of a company like Yelp could enrich the experience even more, and this is what Facebook is banking on. Graph Search is a step in this direction, and if Facebook retains its dominant spot in social networking, the share price could go higher.

Whether it keeps this spot is the question, and as I have said before I own shares of Google and I think there is a good chance Google+ overtakes Facebook.
    Jan 16 08:15 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    @nofoolingforme and @JillKennedy

I agree with you about the recent rise in share price, and I am not optimistic about the earnings report. However, many people are and want to make a play before earnings (because they are optimistic them). For those people, I thought that this announcement would be a good entry point.

Facebook will always have trouble making money without overwhelming people with ads, and that is one of the reasons why I own GOOG but not FB.
    Jan 16 01:39 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    @nofoolingforme and @inkyx
    You two are correct, I made a mistake with my research. It was not a sudden announcement, and the timing was no mistake (earnings reports coming out soon). Nevertheless, I feel that my point is still valid. With such announcement, investors were expecting the type of product release that we are accustomed to with Apple, which is simply not the case.
    Jan 16 10:31 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment