Paul Wagner

View Paul Wagner's Comments BY TICKER:
  • How To Be Sure You Won't End Up Eating Cat Food In Your Retirement [View article]
    PTI..."But I will make changes as need be to make sure I don't."

Have you ever thought about conducting a "stress test" on your financial situation? It might include identifying and committing to writing the "changes as need be" you will make to be sure you don't run out of money, changes that would include both income and outgo. Some of those changes might be difficult to sell.
    Jul 3, 2015. 09:35 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Seeking Alpha Contributors And Commenters Pick The Best Dividend Growers For The Next 5 Years [View article]
    anonymoose...Just to clarify: we CAN take all the money out of an IRA at one time, but the tax implications are onerous.

I haven't reached the age of required distributions, but I'm long past the age where I need to withdraw from my tax-deferred accounts. My dividend income in those accounts is inadequate to fund our expenses. So, I have to harvest capital gains, something that seems to scare the heck out of many SA readers and contributors, particularly those focused singularly on dividends.

The easiest stocks to sell are the lowest yielding ones, because you don't give up much dividend income when you reduce the number of shares you hold. Example; although DG investors as a rule wouldn't own shares in BRKA which has never paid a dividend, there are a lot of Omahans who live quite well from the proceeds of their sales of their BRKA shares. It's easy to trade BRKA shares for cash when you need or want cash because you don't give up any dividend income by doing so.

On the other side, it is much more difficult to sell shares in, say, T, because doing so means you're going to lose future dividends that aren't going to be replaced by much in the way of capital gains. That's the good news bad news catch of DG investing.

Hopefully someone will provide better guidance than me on the subject. Over time, I've learned that some things are more art than science.

I wrote a recent article about the subject on SA, using ROP as a case study.
    Jul 3, 2015. 08:47 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    jmadiara...you are considering the correct historic metrics. Throw in some qualitative considerations and you can make some astute assumptions about the future.
    Jul 3, 2015. 08:24 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Thor Industries: Is Channel Stuffing The Problem? [View article]
    pointmaker...is it customary for an acquirer to disclose the profits of the company acquired? I don't believe it is, unless it is acquiring a publicly-owned company where the earnings results are already public information.

I wouldn't assume anything about Postle's profitability from what we know. Any acquisition involves risk, but Thor management is no stranger to successfully integrating acquired companies. This one is not a competitor, but a component supplier to the RV industry, presumably including Thor, making the acquisition a step to a more vertical manufacturing strategy.
    Jul 2, 2015. 11:11 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Bet On Seeking Alpha's Future [View article]
    David, my Surface 2 has forever had SA on the leftmost side of the list of "Frequent" sites, and I'm sure many readers would report the same thing. (NB, advertisers). I knew a lot before I discovered SA, but I know a lot more now and it's all been free. It's been my pleasure to donate the few articles I've written and my comments as my way of contributing.

Eli: I suspect your influence is already all over the phenomenon, so thanks go to you as well, and my wishes for much personal fulfillment for you in your expanded role.

Paul
    Jul 2, 2015. 01:06 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is Realty Income Cheap Enough Yet? [View article]
    Mercy...I suppose my comment sounded like a criticism, but I meant it to be a positive suggestion. Actually, the omission of a recommended alternative is pretty much standard. I wrote an article earlier this year describing my exit from CVX, but I neglected to make any mention at all of the trade. It wasn't until a reader asked in the comment section what I was doing with the proceeds of my sale that I realized it should have been in my article in the first place.

Sometimes the trade is simply to hold cash and wait and sometimes it is to invest the dollars in a similar but more reasonably priced alternative. Since this author has made many recommendations, it would have been easy for him to have referred to a couple in his article. Maybe it just never crossed his mind, which was the case in my situation.
    Jul 2, 2015. 11:54 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is Realty Income Cheap Enough Yet? [View article]
    Assuming one has to own something instead of owning O, the author would do readers a service by explaining where he would invest his money that would otherwise be invested in O if only it were cheaper. Everything is a trade. A "don't buy" rating is as close to a "sell" rating as you can get, because it says there is something better to do with your money. Revealing the better alternative(s) completes an otherwise incomplete argument.
    Jul 2, 2015. 08:35 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks for your concerns, Robert.
    Fortunately, we are not recipients of anything from the State, nor do we have jobs to lose, so an Illinois bankruptcy would affect a long line of people before we would feel anything. The new governor is a Republican trying to get the Democrat legislature to come up with a budget that is going to require some pain. Obviously, it ain't pretty.

Beyond the State, the Chicago school system is in dire financial straits.

Overly generous pensions are at the root of Illinois' problems. The state supreme court has ruled they can't be compromised. So, there you have it: absent the ability to print money somebody has to suffer, But, not the people who are benefitting most from Springfield's big spenders.
    Jul 1, 2015. 09:21 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    BlueSky...you're right about IRA distributions being taxed as ordinary income, but don't forget that you have avoided taxes for years before you start your withdrawals.

I recently moved back to Illinois from Wisconsin and I was pleasantly surprised to learn that Illinois, for all its financial difficulties, is kind to retirees. Pension income, including distributions from 401k and IRA's are not taxed;nor is Social Security. In that way, it's similar to Florida. Of course, winters are a different story; that's why my wife and I spend our winters in Arizona.

You are definitely being ripped off by the bank trust department.
    Jul 1, 2015. 07:40 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Robert..you're absolutely correct, and authors can learn from this that hypothetical case studies within readers' frames of reference tend to be more instructive than real ones that don't.
    Jul 1, 2015. 05:07 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Here's Why I'm Buying Harley-Davidson And Selling Polaris Industries [View article]
    Rochelle... 1. No apology necessary and 2. I'm puzzled why one alias wouldn't be enough to insure your critic's anonymity.
    Jul 1, 2015. 11:25 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    PTI...I've assumed, perhaps incorrectly, that your $400,000 income is after professional expenses, but before taxes.
    Jun 30, 2015. 05:45 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    PTI....College was less expensive in the past and worth more, from what I can tell.

I was blessed to have grown up on the wrong side of the tracks. We never had any less -- and not much more -- than we needed. So, my expectations never went beyond a comfortable life without bells and whistles -- and without debt.

One of the wisest realizations I obtained from sitting under the proverbial apple tree and thinking of things is that people generally get pretty much what they want in life, even without thinking about it. What they don't usually factor into the equation is the cost. I'm pretty sure your lifestyle is the one you have wanted, as is mine. Mine doesn't require debt and yours does.

You should be happy that you have what you set out to get and also happy that you have the wisdom to know that you need to provide for your retirement years without depending on someone else. (People no longer have to eat cat food -- we have a humongous welfare system that uses other people's money to provide for us when we can't provide for ourselves.)
    Jun 30, 2015. 02:23 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    This conversation about college education is revealing: I had two in college at the same time in the late 80's early 90's. One in private college and one out-of-state state school. I paid for everything and borrowed nothing, while making about 1/4 of what the author makes and owning a home and a paid for 2d home. Someone who makes $400,000 a year and has to borrow money to send his kids to college is something I can't relate to.
    Jun 30, 2015. 01:37 PM | 10 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is HCP The REIT Buy Of The Year? [View article]
    I do believe I misstated the circumstances of her promotion into the position of president of Heller's real estate group. That promotion came after her boss (the then president of the real estate group) was promoted to CEO of the company. Her subsequent promotion to CFO came after the sudden death of the CEO (her former boss). The CFO at the time was promoted to CEO, creating the vacancy that Lauralee then filled. I don't suppose the sequence is all that important, but accuracy is a virtue.
    Jun 28, 2015. 05:37 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment