Paul Wagner

View Paul Wagner's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Retirement Strategy: Cashing In On The Oil Crash [View article]
    Dividend Math Guy..I don't currently have any plans to invest in CVX.
    Aug 4, 2015. 08:42 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Retirement Strategy: Cashing In On The Oil Crash [View article]
    PetroEngInvestor: My reasons are in the article: http://seekingalpha.co...
    Aug 4, 2015. 08:41 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Retirement Strategy: Cashing In On The Oil Crash [View article]
    pappajoe...I recently liquidated my THO...I saw it climb and come back down and basically broke even on the trade, plus some divvies I picked up. I'm holding a lot of cash right now. I don't see a lot of great obvious opportunities right now.
    Aug 4, 2015. 08:39 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Retirement Strategy: Cashing In On The Oil Crash [View article]
    RS..As I read your article I'm reminded of the criticism I received when I announced that I had sold my CVX shares at $102.
    Aug 4, 2015. 12:15 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Retirement Strategy: Cashing In On The Oil Crash [View article]
    TeachEnglish: "How many people reading SA have $100,000 to invest in ONE stock? If there are many, I'm in the wrong place."

It appears that you feel you can't learn from successful investors.
    Aug 4, 2015. 12:10 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Retirement Strategy: Cashing In On The Oil Crash [View article]
    Jake1907...Warren Buffett has some of the traits of a trader when it comes to publicly owned securities. Read the disclosures of Berkshire's major exposures over the last 18 months and I predict. you'll find that his investment in XOM came and went.
    Aug 4, 2015. 12:06 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Retirement Strategy: Cashing In On The Oil Crash [View article]
    Logical...it is so sad when a commenter has nothing of value to add to a comment stream.
    Aug 4, 2015. 12:01 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Fed Stands Pat, Stocks And Income In The FTG Retiree Portfolio Soar To Record Heights [View article]
    Hewitt..let us know when the book comes out. I still think you should write an article on SA.
    Aug 2, 2015. 03:42 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Hewitt....I read your book a few years ago and benefitted from it. You could contribute a lot to SA with some articles from time to time.
    Aug 1, 2015. 09:26 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Avoiding The Endowment Effect: Should Mike Sell? [View article]
    Greg. "..I use another stock as currency.". Aha! Another one gets it.
    Aug 1, 2015. 07:27 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Avoiding The Endowment Effect: Should Mike Sell? [View article]
    Butterfly Seeker: "It is the same stock/company....."

I'll second that. Particularly if one measures how well it is "doing its job" in terms of the bills it will pay.
    Aug 1, 2015. 07:20 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Avoiding The Endowment Effect: Should Mike Sell? [View article]
    Chowder: "The very idea of, if you are not willing to buy you should be selling, is basically a momentum type of strategy."

If I hold $100,000 of 10 year Treasuries (something I wouldn't want to buy today if I didn't already own them) and I trade them for, say shares in KMB (or anything else I'd rather own), how is that a momentum strategy? Both are income producing assets. The same logic applies to two common stock issues that produce income, doesn't it? If one is perceived to be a better investment, why would an investor want to own the less good one, especially if he doesn't have unlimited funds available to him with which to improve his portfolio?
    Aug 1, 2015. 07:06 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Avoiding The Endowment Effect: Should Mike Sell? [View article]
    Mike: "I still am deciding". I had to laugh, but not in derision. We are blessed with our granddaughters (8 and 11) staying at our house this week. My wife and I took them shopping on Monday at the nearby outlet mall. One of my little angels has trouble making decisions. She did okay at the Skechers store, but could not make up her mind at the Oshkosh B Gosh store. I took a walk around the parking lot for awhile and came back only to find them still shopping in the same store. I asked the indecisive one what she had bought. "I'm still deciding" was her reply.

I don't mean to compare you to a pre-adolescent girl, Mike. Really, I don't. Honest. :=)>

(P.S. I pointed her to a nice top and some leggings that I told her would look great on her. Voila!)
    Jul 31, 2015. 05:07 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Retired Dividend Growth Investors Are Lulled Into A False Sense Of Security [View article]
    George.."..some of the losers.." Actually, the winners must more than offset all of the losers.
    Jul 31, 2015. 09:18 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Avoiding The Endowment Effect: Should Mike Sell? [View article]
    Hemingway25...re: PSX..between February 15th and May 15th of this year, Berkshire reduced its holdings in PSX from 6.5 million shares to 4.5 million shares.

FWIW...XOM is no longer reported as a Berkshire holding on the SEC forms filed in February and May 2015.

My only point in sharing the information is to dispel the notion some have that Buffett "never sells". I think Buffett himself has cultivated that misunderstanding, perhaps deliberately, by his continual public comments about investors who have a short term horizon or who try to time the market.
    Jul 30, 2015. 10:55 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment