Paul Zimbardo

View Paul Zimbardo's Comments BY TICKER:
  • With some number of 3-D TV product introductions expected at this week's Consumer Electronics Show, ESPN (DIS) and Discovery Communications (DISCA) start filling in the other half of the equation, unveiling plans for their 3-D networks. ESPN rolls out in June and plans at least 85 live sporting events in the first year; Discovery will join with Sony (SNE) and IMAX (IMAX) to debut next year.  [View news story]
    Key phrase from CNN article: "The new network will require a 3-D television set -- a technology that is still emerging and a step ahead of high-definition -- and 3-D glasses."

For this reason, I highly doubt it will be successful. If it is, the only real winners will be Wal-Mart, Best Buy, Amazon, and other retailers rather than the content providers.

www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/.../
    Jan 5, 2010. 05:39 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Rumor or Hubris? Apple Tablet Connects to Internet via iPhone [View article]
    If the rumored $900+ price target set on this thing are remotely accurate, I cannot see Mr. Jobs forcing users to tether to access the Internet.

Perhaps iPhone AT&T customers will be able to purchase an add-on for ~$10 to $15 a month that grants web access on the Tablet as well?
    Jan 4, 2010. 11:01 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Time's cover story got a peek into Bernanke's own wallet: driver license, Amex card, debit card, "... a Jos. [A.] Bank card where I get my suits, I have a health insurance card. And then I have a variety of other cards, phone numbers, United Airlines, frequent flyer. And I have $45 ... $75 ... $85. I'm all set." At these rates, seems like a lot of cash to have around. (via)  [View news story]
    I think we have found the reason why Joseph A Banks' profit was up 26%!

www.businesswire.com/p...
    Dec 16, 2009. 10:07 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Search Engines Lose Volume in November [View article]
    Nice information but I fail to see any real information for trading/investing purposes from examining month-over-month changes in search engine market share.
    Dec 16, 2009. 02:58 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Search Engines Lose Volume in November [View article]
    Dec 16, 2009. 02:55 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is Citi the Ideal Speculation Play? [View article]
    Accept this "lotto ticket" is backed by the government.

I do have to agree with Cramer that Citi is a great SPECULATIVE stock.

On Dec 15 05:21 PM HIGHWATER 888 wrote:

> The concept of buying Citi on the 'Wing & Prayer' theory of so-called
    > 'normalized earnings' two or three years out makes about as much
    > sense as a Lotto ticket. The banks were saved from insolvency by
    > Treasury and a reluctant taxpayer but the real key to rebuilding
    > their balance sheets (which has enabled these massive stock offerings)
    > has been Fed Policy.
    > If the Fed's low interest/no interest policy gets crushed by the
    > long maturity debt buyers in 2010, most of the TARP banks -- and
    > certainly including Citi-- will be confronting the prospect of 'insolvency
    > 2.0' in the new year.
    > PS - If you are nevertheless a degenerate gambler who simply must
    > make a play on Citi, do yourself the favor of playing the options
    > and take the .48 premium on the sale of the March 2010 $3 -$4 bull
    > put spread. Less risk than the stock at $3.57, but IMO you don't
    > want to own City at $2.52 in March any more than at $3.57 today.
    Dec 16, 2009. 12:39 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Aol's Independence Issues [View article]
    Even if AOL currently looks "cheap", I cannot understand how anyone gets excited about investing in AOL with its outdated business model.

I would rather have an overpriced company with a viable business any day of the week.
    Dec 11, 2009. 03:59 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • AT&T (T) to customers: You have to use less of our network. Well, not all customers; the company says 3% of smartphone users consume 40% of network capacity, and it plans "incentives" to get high-bandwidth users to reduce. The end of all-you-can-eat data seems to be getting closer.  [View news story]
    I cannot understand how everyone "knows" that Verizon's network will be able to handle the iPhone. Could it be possible that AT&T's network is pretty good but is just getting slammed by all of that iPhone traffic? What is to prevent the same thing from happening to Verizon?

On Dec 09 04:48 PM 1980XLS wrote:

> Ironic that their I-phone exclusive customers are maxing out their
    > network. Despite everyones skepticism, when will Apple say enough
    > and abandon ATT for a network that can handle it?
    > Verizon I-Phone may be on the way!
    Dec 9, 2009. 05:30 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple vs. Amazon: An iTablet Would Redefine the Ebook Market [View article]
    Exactly what I was going to point out. Apple's products historically make 30% margins; however, if the $1,000 price point is correct, it would make sense for AAPL to take a hit on margins.

$1,000 is very expensive for this iProd and it would behoove Apple to simply get it in the hands of as many customers as possible.

I think we may see something along the lines of with the iPhone:

$1,000 without a contract
    $600 with a 2-year contract from AT&T (or even Verizon!)

On Dec 09 05:18 PM craigimass wrote:

> Hard to imagine how apple would only make a 22 percent profit at
    > a 1000 price point.......something like this should not cost that
    > much to make!
    > I would not buy one at that price - way too high. I would be willing,
    > for instance, to promise the purchase of "x" amount of content per
    > year in return for a lowered price.
    Dec 9, 2009. 05:23 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple to Buy Lala? [View article]
    Lala allows you to stream the song off of your computer for ten cents but you cannot put it on your iPod/iPhone. If you want to do that, then you must buy the song.

On Dec 04 04:43 PM RLLH wrote:

> Why would Apple want you to be able to pay $.10 per song rather than
    > $.99 per song? Doesn't sound like the Apple we know and love.
    Dec 4, 2009. 08:58 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Will a Black Eye from Consumer Reports Hurt AT&T, iPhone? [View article]
    Consumer Reports lost its relevance when the Internet exploded.

In other words, this will have no impact on AAPL. It may persuade people from getting a lower-tier phone on AT&T. I use AT&T everyday and I have no problems with it. I guess the cool think to do now is beat-up on AT&T.
    Dec 2, 2009. 08:39 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The iPhone's Next Carrier Is Likely T-Mobile, Not Verizon [View article]
    The same analyst (Doug Reid of Thomas Weisel Partners) who broke this rumor in an analyst report also set a $245 price target for AAPL. I guess that was overlooked...

www.appleinsider.com/a...
    Dec 1, 2009. 09:53 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The iPhone: Apple's First Flop [View article]
    "The company has had a string of hits since it introduced the iPod and its shareholders have benefited sending shares from $7 in 2003 to the $100 they sit at today."

Glad I didn't listen to this. $100+ /share glad.
    Dec 1, 2009. 02:46 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Online sales on "Cyber Monday" were up 16% from a year ago, according to Coremetrics' survey of 500 retailers, following on some strong online numbers from Friday. Amazon.com (AMZN) reports electronics, toys and kitchen items are among their top sellers today.  [View news story]
    A must read article about Black Friday and Cyber Monday myths:

consumerist.com/2009/1...

However, it is a FACT that Cyber Monday has been an accurate indicator of overall holiday season yearly growth (but we all know how useful historical information is...)
    Nov 30, 2009. 10:07 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • RIM’s Weakness Persists Despite Initiation of Share Buyback [View article]
    As has been stressed before, RIMM's share repurchase is NOT a good sign for long-term investors. RIMM should be using that money to invest in its rapidly aging operating system (yes, I know that they have been somewhat.)

The fact that RIMM is resorting to share repurchases at such a young stage in its development is certainly troubling. Having said that, long-term RIMM is still significantly undervalued as the entire Droid hype has caused RIMM to be discounted far too much.
    Nov 30, 2009. 10:04 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment