View Paulo Santos' Articles BY TICKER:
AA, AAMC, AAPL, ABCD, ACI, AEYE, AFFY, AGA, AGM, AGX, AMD, AMGN, AMSG, AMZN, ANR, AONEQ, APC, ARII, ARNA, ATEC, ATVI, AYR, AYSI, BABA, BAX, BBRY, BBY, BDR, BHP, BKS, BNO, BOPH, BPI, BRK.A, BRK.B, BTH, BTU, BWEN, CA, CBCA, CHIX, CHK, CHL, CIDM, CLF, CLVLY, CMT, CONE, COST, COUP, CPHC, CPIX, CPN, CRM, CSCO, CSH, CUO, CVTI, CYNK, CYOU, DB, DGX, DIA, DIS, DIT, DLX, DMD, DMF, DRYS, DTOOF, EA, EBAY, ECOM, ELMD, ELPDF, ELY, ENPH, ESYS, EVC, EWA, EWP, EXC, F, FB, FDX, FFNT, FNF, FTLF, FVE, FXA, FXE, FXF, FXI, FXY, GAZ, GLD, GM, GMCR, GME, GNCMA, GNI, GOOG, GREK, GRPN, GSAT, GSVC, GTATQ, HBIO, HD, HEAR, HPQ, IBKR, IHC, INTC, INTX, INVN, IYR, JCP, JOY, JPM, JRCCQ, KMP, KODK, KOL, LACO, LCAV, LE, LH, LNG, LNKD, LO, LONG, MAXX, MAXY, MCD, MCP, MDT, MERU, MLNX, MMS, MNI, MONIF, MORT, MRVL, MSFT, MSLP, MSN, MTEX, MU, MYGN, MYL, NAII, NATR, NAUH, NCR, NFLX, NLY, NOK, NQ, NRF, NTIP, NUFMF, NVDA, OFG, OROCF, OSHWQ, P, PACD, PBI, PCCC, PCXCQ, PDLI, PGP, PKG, PLSDF, PM, PT, PTAXF, PWRD, QQQ, RBCN, RBEIF, RCPI, RENN, RESI, RIO, ROIA, RSXJ, S, SALE, SAR, SBSA, SCTY, SEE, SGNT, SHLD, SIRI, SLV, SLX, SNDK, SNE, SOHU, SPB, SPY, SRSC, STRP, STX, SVU, SWAY, TA, TAT, TAXI, TCX, TGC, THST, TINY, TQQQ, TRLG, TSLA, TTWO, TVIX, TWTR, UIS, UNG, UNXL, UPS, USAT, USO, UWN, VALE, VLTC, VRS, VZ, WBK, WDC, WEAT, WFM, WLB, WLT, WMT, WYNN, XHB, XLF, XRT, XRX, YHOO, Z, ZNGA
Apple: More Data On The iOS/Android Struggle
- This article brings a lot of data to the debate regarding the iOS and Android struggle, and the risk it presents for Apple.
- The data cover app spend, mobile web usage and usage in ecommerce.
- The data confirm that present trends favor Android even if iOS continues to lead on most metrics.
Apple: Winning The Profit Battle, Losing The Smartphone War
- Apple had an extraordinary quarter due to the new iPhone 6 and 6 Plus.
- However, the overall dynamics of the smartphone market are now deeply unfavorable to Apple.
- If these dynamics are allowed to persist - and they most likely will persist - Apple will be exposed to the same thing that happened to the Mac.
- Android devices are now as useful as iPhones even at very low price points.
- And Android already overwhelmingly dominates the market. Habits are forming which favor Android.
Apple No Longer Seems Massively Cheap, Even Ex-Cash
- Apple is subjected to negative leverage due to the large cash position on its balance sheet.
- This means that as the stock goes up, its ex-cash valuation goes up even faster.
- Given this effect and how much Apple went up, as well as the nature of the market it relies on for most of its value, Apple no longer seems cheap.
A Tale Of Unbridled Optimism
- There seems to be excessive optimism regarding what Apple's upcoming iWatch can do.
- This is borne by the reaction to my former article. Expectations for the iWatch have gone irrational.
- Excessive optimism is dangerous for the share price.
An iWatch Cannot Move The Needle Much
- There's tremendous expectation regarding the iWatch.
- However, I show that the iWatch cannot move the needle for Apple.
- This is so even if we use rather optimistic assumptions, including making Apple the worldwide leader in the watch space, which is rather unlikely to happen.
Apple Is Acquiring A Fad - Not Quality - And That Is Troubling
- Apple is acquiring Beats for $3.2 billion.
- A check of Beat's history shows it likely that it's mostly just slapping a celebrity name into an OEM product.
- So Apple is buying a fad, not audio quality. Apple could have easily bought audio quality instead, so buying a fad is troubling.
- The acquisition itself is not really material for Apple's prospects, but the decision behind it is troubling and seems to show Apple is on the wrong track.
Apple Faces A Problem And Increasing Prices Will Make It Worse
- Apple is rumored to be asking $100 more for its latest iPhone 6.
- This is a problem, because Apple has lost its ecosystem advantage and its phones are already too expensive.
- While the larger display is welcome, a larger price will make the share problem larger at a point where Android is already dominating.
- There seems to be no way out for Apple. Either it sacrifices margins or volume, and both are bad outcomes.
- Jabil Circuit Implosion Not Negative For Apple
- Apple Faces The Ever-Present 'Then What' Problem
- Another Insane Apple Advantage
- The True Objective Of The iPhone 5C
- Apple's Main Catalyst And Main Risk
- Translating Apple Inc.'s Guidance Into An EPS Number
- What iPhone 5 Discounts Could Mean
- Apple: iOS7 Might Be Another Shot In The Foot
- Apple's Magic Is Broken
- Implications Of Apple Guidance
- Further Signs Of Demand Weakness Now Hit The iPad Mini
- Apple Has No Choice But To Make A Larger iPhone
- The Massive Underperformance Of Apple Vs. Amazon
- Einhorn's Apple Preferred Stock Dividend Solution
- Is Apple The 2000 Cisco/Microsoft Of Today?
- Apple iPhone 5: What Are The Implications From AT&T And Verizon?
- What's Worrisome About Apple
- The Lines Meme Seems Bogus
- The Reason Behind Apple's Beating
- The Unsung Apple Advantage
- Apple's October Sell-Off: Remarkably Similar To Last Time
- Apple: The Executive Wars
- First Indications On Apple's iPad Mini
- How Apple's Size Limits Its Valuation
- Without Steve Jobs, Apple Is Without A Map