Paulo Santos

View Paulo Santos' Comments BY TICKER:
  • Apple: More Data On The iOS/Android Struggle [View article]
    He was not even commenting on this article.
    Feb 15, 2015. 08:23 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple: More Data On The iOS/Android Struggle [View article]
    I wasn't resorting to any. And besides, I was already getting attacked.

I don't think my reply is a personal attack either - after all, this person was incredibly sure of his opinion even without seeing the product that he was already calling it "CRAPOLA". That's clearly the hallmark of someone special.
    Feb 15, 2015. 07:33 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple: More Data On The iOS/Android Struggle [View article]
    First, you need an education (upbringing), and reading my stuff wouldn't provide you with that.

Second, you don't even know what you'd be reading and already you have a strong opinion about it - that's not the hallmark of someone that's very intelligent. Indeed, it's more the kind of thing one would expect from someone presenting borderline problems on that regard.
    Feb 15, 2015. 06:13 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple: Winning The Profit Battle, Losing The Smartphone War [View article]
    I think it only covers "official" Android - but no doubt iOS took massive share in Q4.
    Feb 10, 2015. 11:57 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple: Winning The Profit Battle, Losing The Smartphone War [View article]
    The thesis has nothing to do with revenues or profits at this point, and neither does it require that iOS disappears. Or that Android makers raise prices, or indeed, survive (as long as they're substituted by other Android makers).
    Feb 10, 2015. 08:32 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple: Winning The Profit Battle, Losing The Smartphone War [View article]
    It's about getting enough people into any given ecosystem so that developers start to concentrate more on that ecosystem than on the competition's.

At this point iOS leads even though Android has more users. But Android handsets and software are getting much better, so the higher number of users is slowly turning into usage getting closer to iOS.

It's not yet too relevant, but if this keeps happening for years, then it wouldn't be impossible for Android to have 3, 4 times the usage of iOS. And then iOS could, indeed, have a problem.

I believe that as long as Android stays below 2x iOS usage or so, iOS won't have a problem.
    Feb 10, 2015. 08:01 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple: Winning The Profit Battle, Losing The Smartphone War [View article]
    There's nothing like Tasker because iOS doesn't allow the level of control of your device Android permits.

Anyway, I am not saying these are "impossible to avoid" apps. I am just saying that they have their uses and they can't be found on iOS. This is not central to what we're discussing here. It's just a curiosity.
    Feb 9, 2015. 09:48 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple: Winning The Profit Battle, Losing The Smartphone War [View article]
    Ratty, I said it didn't make it because it isn't there. I knew it was removed. I know it isn't there because my daughter wanted it (as she seen it work on my phone) and regrettably it wasn't available. There are a couple of small iOS apps which try to do the same thing but they aren't nearly as good.

Tasker isn't programmed by Google, btw.

And yes, most apps are also on iOS AND get there first.

(A funny thing with Google Goggles - when I take pictures -- with the phone's camera software, not Google Goggles -- a couple of seconds later if Google Goggles can identify what's in the picture it instantly notifies me of such)
    Feb 9, 2015. 09:12 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple: Winning The Profit Battle, Losing The Smartphone War [View article]
    Yes it's not.

On the other had we're also getting some examples of some relevant apps that didn't make it to iOS, like Google Goggles or Tasker.

Not that it matters. What "is" today is not very relevant, this is a very long term thesis and right now AAPL is even gaining ground with the iPhone 6/6+
    Feb 8, 2015. 01:01 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple: Winning The Profit Battle, Losing The Smartphone War [View article]
    For this thesis it's irrelevant who provides the Androids, much like in the fight between PCs and Macs it was irrelevant who provided the PCs.
    Feb 8, 2015. 08:13 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple: Winning The Profit Battle, Losing The Smartphone War [View article]
    AAPL is in a favorable position right now. The question is, will it remain in that position if Android keeps its much larger market share?
    Feb 7, 2015. 04:10 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple: More Data On The iOS/Android Struggle [View article]
    Market share counts if the market share brings about network effects. For instance, Facebook has significant network effects so as it got the market share it slaughtered all the competitors.
    Feb 5, 2015. 11:31 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple: More Data On The iOS/Android Struggle [View article]
    I don't see how using the Mac instead of a Windows machine would somehow constitute resistance to innovation or something. I see innovation in the Mac's build quality. But not in how the software works - which is what's at stake for me.
    Feb 5, 2015. 11:30 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple: More Data On The iOS/Android Struggle [View article]
    They needn't fall - they just need to grow at a slower pace than Android. At this moment AAPL even gained back share, but for most of the past 4-5 years it lost share consistently.
    Feb 5, 2015. 10:32 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple: More Data On The iOS/Android Struggle [View article]
    Yes, he's so stupid. Let's call him stupid. Let's find a way to say that a greater % gain won't, if sustained (not necessary at the same levels, "higher" is enough), surpass a smaller % gain.
    Feb 4, 2015. 05:15 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment