Pendulum

View Pendulum's Comments BY TICKER:
  • BlackBerry Short Interest Ended March Little Changed And Updated Outlook For The Stock [View article]
    Here is an article from the WSJ about the Q10 launch. Seems like it will be in the US in May/June.

Apr 11, 2013. 12:00 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks
    Apr 10, 2013. 11:57 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I don't have data about that. However, these links may answer your question, at least partially:

Apr 10, 2013. 11:56 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Hi m101,

Thanks for your response. I get your thinking. We'll see if those customers come back now. I appreciate your perspective.
    Apr 10, 2013. 11:54 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Hi andy321, congratulations on the great trade.
    Apr 10, 2013. 11:39 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Euro Rallies As Draghi Reassures: Is It Time To Go Long Europe? [View article]
    Hi tadpole76,

Thanks for the response. I am still looking at European banks as trading vehicles. As I wrote in this stream, I had a position in SAN a few months ago and may get back in. I agree that the banks have problems, but there will be periods when the stock prices over react too much in each direction. I am not interested in buy-and-hold positions in European banks now.

Agree about the liquidity leaving the Eurozone. Actually, I have been meaning to see if there is updated data about capital leaving banks in Spain and Italy after Cyprus. I'll try and put that in a future article.
    Your point is about capital leaving the Eurozone entirely and I agree that that is/will be a problem.
    Apr 10, 2013. 11:03 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    That is completely false.

Feel free to disagree with me, but I absolutely have no agenda to push down the stock.

In the article I tried to give a balanced view on BBRY and pointed out several arguments for the bulls.

In fact, I said in the article that BBRY may be successful in the long term. However, I am not willing to invest now. I also said that I may be open to a long position in the stock in the future.
    There are always two sides to every stock.
    Apr 10, 2013. 10:44 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Hi hhabana,

I use an iPhone (and disclosed this in comments to the previous article) and am not looking to switch phones now. But, I would be very happy with a bigger screen.

I haven't seen the Q10, but do not feel the need for a keyboard. Everybody is different and I am sure there are loyal BBRY customers that are very excited about the new phone.

I do not have any information about possible demand for the phone. Too early to tell.
    Apr 10, 2013. 10:27 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Hi Antony, thanks for the timeline.
    Apr 10, 2013. 10:22 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks for the link.

The article does say that the DoD is already using iOS and Android devices, but in smaller numbers.

We'll see what happens.
    Apr 10, 2013. 10:18 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Hi m101,

Thanks for the comments.

One of the things that bothers me about the subscriber loses, especially in North America, is that if somebody resisted the urge to get an iPhone or Android for so long because they were loyal, why give up in Q4 right before the launch of the new products. Why not hold off a bit more and then get the new BBRY devices?

Sure, there is always natural attrition if people leave jobs, etc., and the lack of new devices meant that there was a lack of supply for a while. However, it seems like a lot of subs left. Especially because BBRY management said that most of the lost subs were in North America and EMEA.

Agree that Q1 will not capture the full impact of the launch, but by the time BBRY does its next earnings call they should be able to have relevant datapoints about the launches.

BBRY CEO said the 55% was a global figure. I assumed that almost all was outside of North America.

I didn't catch an iOS to BB10 switcher in stores like you did. I don't like to attach too much value to anecdotal evidence anyway. But, the AT&T salespeople did say good things about the new device. They also said similar if not better things about an iPhone (one called it the Mercedes of phones). Again, this does not matter much to me.

We'll see about the numbers over the next few quarters. I think the real test will be if BBRY's momentum can be sustained when Apple and Samsung/Google come out with their next products. It would be so much easier if they all could line up their releases.

I understand that there are investors that are more bullish than me and are willing to invest now. The bulls have valid arguments. It is a matter of what assumptions you want to make about the future.

Thanks again for the good reply.
    Apr 10, 2013. 10:14 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Hi dmanca,

Thanks for your comments. I agree that Blackberry has an advantage in that area. However, I expect that Apple and Google/Samsung will catch up. A couple of weeks ago there was an article about the Department of Defense ordering hundreds of thousands of Apple devices to replace Blackberry. I am not sure if that is true or not. But, if true, I assume the DoD tested the security issue.

Google is making a big push in the enterprise and already needs to deal with security issues with Gmail, Drive, etc. All the competitors needs to improve their security for all their products.

However, in the coming years we will probably hear about security breaches across the board.
    Apr 10, 2013. 09:11 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Hi Greg, thank you.
    Apr 10, 2013. 08:23 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Hi Christopher,

Microsoft seems very focused on Windows 8, including for mobile. It only launched it a few months ago and Microsoft seems to still be tweaking it. I don't think they would make an acquisition like BBRY now while they are still working on making Windows 8 a success.

I recently wrote about Microsoft here: http://seekingalpha.co...

In the article I show a graph of mobile operating systems and Microsoft was doing better than Blackberry. This was before the Blackberry new device launches, so not sure if it will continue like this.
    Apr 10, 2013. 08:23 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Hi bbryuser,

There seems to be a wide range of opinions in the analyst community and they have been moving up their estimates. As I mention in the article, the average analyst target price is still below the current price, so there many be some more upgrades.
    This may be a case of analysts reacting to the news and price action instead of getting ahead of it. It will be important to see how the stock reacts to any future changes in analyst estimates, up or down.
    We'll see if the analysts can be a catalyst. On the balance, the analyst positioning is probably a positive for the stock, since I expect more upgrades.
    Apr 10, 2013. 05:57 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment