Pendulum

View Pendulum's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Global PC shipments fell 13.9% Y/Y in Q1 to 76.9M units, per IDC. That surpasses Q4's 6.4% drop and Q3's 8.6% decline, and is steep even in light of IDC's recent commentary. IDC: "It seems clear that the Windows 8 (MSFT) launch not only didn’t provide a positive boost to the PC market, but appears to have slowed the market." H-P (HPQ) was the market's leader, but its share fell 200 bps Y/Y to 15.7%. #2 Lenovo (LNVGY.PK) saw its share rise 210 bps to 15.3%, and #3 Dell's rose 40 bps to 11.8%. Apple's (AAPL) U.S. share rose 60 bps to 10%, though U.S. Mac shipments fell 7.5% to 1.4M. [View news story]
    Amazing numbers and adds to my concerns about Microsoft for the long term:

Apr 10 05:24 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Microsoft Is On Citigroup's Dividend List, But Not Mine [View article]
    Just saw this in Seeking Alpha's market currents:

Wednesday, April 10, 4:43 PM ET
    Global PC shipments fell 13.9% Y/Y in Q1 to 76.9M units, according to IDC. That surpasses Q4's 6.4% drop and Q3's 8.6% decline, and is steep even in light of IDC's recent commentary. "It seems clear that the Windows 8 (MSFT) launch not only didn’t provide a positive boost to the PC market, but appears to have slowed the market," says an IDC analyst. H-P (HPQ) was the market's top vendor, though its share fell 200 bps Y/Y to 15.7%. #2 Lenovo (LNVGY.PK) saw its share rise 210 bps to 15.3%, and #3 Dell's rose 40 bps to 11.8%. Apple's (AAPL) U.S. share rose 60 bps to 10%, though U.S. Mac shipments fell 7.5% to 1.4M.
    Apr 10 05:11 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Bullish On Wal-Mart As Record Highs Demand A New Approach To The Stock [View article]
    Hi,

Thanks for your comments. Congratulations on your WMT trades. As I mentioned, it may pullback in the short term, but my focus in the article was mainly on the long term.
    Apr 10 04:55 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • BlackBerry Short Interest Ended March Little Changed And Updated Outlook For The Stock [View article]
    Hi Mikebator,

Thanks for reading and your feedback. I do not give investment advice, but I have said in my previous articles that I find it very hard to invest in tech stocks for the long term. The pace of innovation is too rapid and companies rise and fall too quickly. This applies to both BBRY and AAPL. I view these companies as more short or mid term opportunities. There are exceptions, but rare.

I get many investment ideas from products that I like. Recently I wrote that I am bullish on Tumi: http://seekingalpha.co...

I first got to know Tumi as a product before I looked at it as an investment (actually, it only recently IPO-ed so I couldn't invest previously).

However, I do not use my enthusiasm for a product as the only criteria for an investment decision. I have a process (that I constantly try to improve) that takes into account many factors, including financials, technicals, sentiment, macro outlook etc. I would not invest in a product that I like without other reasons too.

However, this is just me and everybody is different.
    Apr 10 04:51 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Hi SamCool,

Thanks for reading. I was really disappointed that we didn't get more info on the 55% of new BBRY users that come from other platforms. I am not sure to what extent Apple is losing customer to Blackberry. Blackberry also lost 3 million customers in the Q, so not clear who is gaining on a net basis.

Has the breakdown of the 55% been reported on? I looked but couldn't find anything.
    Apr 10 04:42 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Hi Michael,

It will be very interesting to see what Apple does with its next version of iOS. Needs an update. Low probability that Apple goes for Blackberry, but you never know.
    Apr 10 04:38 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Hi ConservativeOutperformer, thanks for your comments.
    Apr 10 04:32 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Hi Michael,

Thanks for the comments and good points. Blackberry has cash, which gives it time and anything could happen. Yes, very interesting to watch.
    Apr 10 04:23 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    As I said in the article, I have no position in the stock, long or short. I may establish a position in the future, but on the sidelines for now. I haven't had a position in BBRY since my last article either.
    Apr 10 04:19 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Hi,

I am not sure about this. I don't like anecdotal evidence too much, but I will say this.

About 10 days ago I called a local AT&&T store (in NYC) to get their hours and see if they have the BBRY device because I wanted to check it out. Before I could speak to a representative from the store I had to listen to a pre-recorded advertisement. Guess what? It was for an iPhone 5. I was calling from an Apple device, so maybe AT&T served me that ad because they thought I would be more interested in an iPhone 5 than a new BBRY. But, I wonder how many people who call about BBRY info need to listen to an ad for AAPL first.
    Apr 10 04:09 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Hi LYogi, thank you.
    Apr 10 03:44 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Alcoa Outlook After Q1 Earnings: Aluminum Weakness Still Overshadows Downstream Success [View article]
    Hi Pierre,

Thanks for the comments. I don't follow gold closely, but I'll check it out.
    Apr 10 12:00 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Hi MexCom,

I don't think that inflation of commodity prices is going to be tied to the Fed. Commodities have been weak for a long time despite Fed money printing. The commodity markets have too much supply, not enough demand (in part because of China) and that is holding down prices.

However, stronger employment and a rebounding global economy will likely boost demand and help support price.
    Apr 9 11:58 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Hi Lucky Lenny,

Thanks for the comments. I agree that Alcoa is well run and that with time the supply/demand balance will favor higher aluminum prices. Not sure when this will happen, but I am looking for an opportunity to get in the stock.
    Apr 9 11:54 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Euro Rallies As Draghi Reassures: Is It Time To Go Long Europe? [View article]
    Hi tadpole76,

Thanks for your comments and good points. I think the Fed will continue with QE until the end of the year as I wrote about elsewhere. Nonetheless, I agree that the Fed's next move is to stop QE and the ECB's next move is to do some form of QE. Also, agree about the oil in the US.

Another interesting factor is the Yen issue. I am not sure how it is impacting the EUR/USD rate, but I am sure it is. The ECB is behind its peers with money printing and will need to eventually catch up.

LT the euro will suffer at some point. Not sure it is going to happen now and it has been strong lately.

Stephen Aniston had a good point about the next ECB meeting. Not sure that Draghi will cut rates then, but he will at some point in the next few months. The risks of going long euro into ECB meetings are increasing.

Anyway, still thinking more about the European banks than the euro now. Do you have any thoughts about the banks?
    Apr 9 05:44 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment