Pendulum

View Pendulum's Comments BY TICKER:
  • What Happened To Alcoa's Theory About Aluminum Prices? [View article]
    Hi PompanoFrog,

Thanks for the feedback.
    Apr 3, 2013. 10:29 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 5 Reasons To Travel With Tumi After Secondary Offering [View article]
    Update: Just saw that Tumi was upgraded at Credit Suisse: http://bit.ly/17bJWP9

CS's new price target of $26, up from $25.
    Apr 3, 2013. 09:59 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is Cyprus A Template? Draghi, Your Turn To Answer Is Coming Up [View article]
    I may have misunderstood your question. I am not buying European bonds either. In the past, when I wanted to play this I did it through European bank shares. I have no positions in those either right now.

My usual disclaimer: I may trade any securities at any time.
    Apr 2, 2013. 01:18 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is Cyprus A Template? Draghi, Your Turn To Answer Is Coming Up [View article]
    Hi Macrotrader100,

Right now I am waiting for the ECB meeting on Thursday and not buying the euro. However, I am also not letting the European crisis get in the way of my regular investing in US equities. I am more focused on the impact of the upcoming earnings season on US equities than the euro crisis.
    Apr 2, 2013. 01:15 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is Cyprus A Template? Draghi, Your Turn To Answer Is Coming Up [View article]
    I will read the paper. Thanks.
    Apr 1, 2013. 06:04 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is Cyprus A Template? Draghi, Your Turn To Answer Is Coming Up [View article]
    Hi Joseph,

I think that we just disagree about this, and that is fine.

I don't think that the situations in the US, UK and Europe are the same and a joint-paper doesn't mean that there is the same policy in all three.

I haven't read the paper yet, so I don't want to comment in it directly. But, I don't think that the such a paper dictates what future policy will be. If we ever get to the point in the US that Cyprus faced, then all the rules will be thrown out.

With regards to Europe, I think there is a "healthy debate" about Cyprus as a template now. I don't think that Dijsselbloem represents the consensus right now. I am not even sure there is a consensus. The fact that he, and others, had to take back the statement immediately shows that there are some who clearly oppose it. We will see over the coming months how it plays out.

Thanks for commenting on the article and bringing in another viewpoint. Even if we disagree, I appreciate hearing about other ways to look at this.
    Apr 1, 2013. 05:55 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is Cyprus A Template? Draghi, Your Turn To Answer Is Coming Up [View article]
    Thanks for your comments.
    Apr 1, 2013. 03:31 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is Cyprus A Template? Draghi, Your Turn To Answer Is Coming Up [View article]
    Good point.
    Apr 1, 2013. 03:00 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • S&P 500's Summer Slumps And Why This Summer Could Be Different [View article]
    Hi tallguyz,

To use your chicken analogy, I am continuing to do the same thing. I am looking at the catalysts mentioned in the article on a high level (and specific ones for individual positions) and if they start flashing warning signs, the I may sell. But, I am not doing "sell in May and go away" now. The big catalyst for me is earnings. I want to get more data points. In the mean time, I am sticking with positions that I have conviction in and taking advantage of some dips when they arise.

Every investor is different, with different strategies, tax situations etc. and this is NOT investment advise.
    Apr 1, 2013. 02:59 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is Cyprus A Template? Draghi, Your Turn To Answer Is Coming Up [View article]
    In general, yes. But Spain/Italy have some ability to push back. It didn't seem like Germany got everything it wanted with the crisis last summer.
    Apr 1, 2013. 02:45 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • S&P 500's Summer Slumps And Why This Summer Could Be Different [View article]
    Thanks for the info
    Apr 1, 2013. 01:58 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • S&P 500's Summer Slumps And Why This Summer Could Be Different [View article]
    Hi Stephen,

How low do you think the euro will go?
    Apr 1, 2013. 01:38 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is Cyprus A Template? Draghi, Your Turn To Answer Is Coming Up [View article]
    Update: Interesting to see the strength in the euro today. European markets are closed for Easter Monday, so the real test will be tomorrow, but still a nice bounce.
    Apr 1, 2013. 01:13 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is Cyprus A Template? Draghi, Your Turn To Answer Is Coming Up [View article]
    Hi Stephen,

Thanks for your comments. I agree that the Draghi Put will probably cap bond yields, but I think that they could still go up from here. We don't know where that ceiling is exactly.

Also, I think Draghi needs to explain how he reconciles his Put with the Cyprus crisis. In the Cyprus crisis, he (and Germany) could have done more to protect the integrity of the euro.
    Apr 1, 2013. 01:06 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is Cyprus A Template? Draghi, Your Turn To Answer Is Coming Up [View article]
    Hi Joseph,

Thanks for your comments and the information. I agree that Dijsselbloem meant it when he called Cyprus a template and I apologize if the article gave the wrong impression. Germany would probably like to use the Cyprus format elsewhere too. My question is whether that view point will become the consensus. That is why I am interested in hearing Draghi's view.
    It will be a lot harder to implement the Cyprus template in Spain and Italy and we saw these countries push back against the ECB and Germany last year.
    It is like the old joke about banking. If you take a small loan from a bank, then you owe the bank. If you take a big loan, you become the bank's partner. It is easy for Germany to steamrole Cyprus, but Spain and Italy are a different situation. The euro could fall apart and then all bets are off, but if it hold together there will be more negotiations regarding problems in big countries.
    Apr 1, 2013. 01:02 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment