Philip Saglimbeni

View Philip Saglimbeni's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Balchem: Boring But Beautiful [View article]
    Nat,

Thanks for the kind words, Im glad you enjoyed the article. Yes, the stocks that go under the radar are definitely my favorite as well, I think mainly because there are simply not too many of them out there that perform consistently well, Balchem is a rare stock in that regard. I'm still always a little amazed that a stock of BCPC's caliber has only 200 or so followers on Seeking Alpha, when it has outperformed the majority of equities. It's a nice little secret in the investment community.

I'm eager to see how the cash is used as well, Mr. Rossi made reference to it, as I'm sure you know, a few times in the conference call, even mentioning acquisition in regards to Europe I believe. I think Balchem's main product offerings are strong enough to allow the company room to maneuver when it comes to things like CureMark and the sports nutrition drink, if one of them takes off and does well it could really be a nice surprise for investors.

I'm eager to initiate a new position in BCPC, I regret not taking advantage of the selloff in 2012. Thanks for comment Nat, it's much appreciated,

Apr 10 09:19 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • All Or Nothing: Playing Uni-Pixel Like Powerball [View article]
    A valuable article that sheds light on a stock that has interested me for a while. I agree that options would be the way to play this, and congrats on a profitable trade Albert.

Apr 8 01:04 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Discovery Communications (DISCA) declares Western Europe to be its new emerging market as execs back the region to see explosive gains. The company has made several key acquisitions in Scandinavia and is now the largest cable programmer outside the U.S. [View news story]
    Big opportunities for Discovery outside the US, I'm eager to see if the company can handle scripted drama/sports material as well as they do the docudrama format. Interesting company, long $DISCA.
    Apr 5 09:13 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Individual Investor Fund: Mr. Market Keeps On Going [View article]
    I'm still interested in the fact that your holdings have a propensity towards buyouts, which is a good thing obviously. And there are a few companies in your portfolio/radar screen that still have the capability to be bought out. I'm assuming it is due mostly to the fact that you focus on quality stocks with smaller market caps, which are inherently more attractive to larger companies.

You have a large cash position, are you looking to add to existing positions on pullbacks/correction or just waiting for the next stock to catch your eye. I haven't initiated many new positions myself this year as the opportunities have been sparse with the large run in equities last quarter. Interesting read as usual James,

Apr 3 09:28 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Copa: A Regional Airline With A Solid Business Model [View article]
    Nice follow-up to your Alaska article, truth be told I've never looked at this regional airliner but it has been performing as well as ALK. Looking at the growth numbers, which are very nice, CPA could possibly be better than ALK but I need to do more research on it to say for sure. Debt is very manageable, in my opinion, and much better than most other airliners I know of, both large and small. Nice piece Robinson, thanks for putting CPA on my radar. Some institutional buyers are snatching up shares in regional airliners lately and they've been great performers, I believe it will continue.

Mar 28 02:52 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • MasterCard Deserves All The Credit, And Your Money [View article]
    Chubby,

Interesting news lately that Visa might buy out Visa Europe:

Your info was spot on, looks like they are considering the move to purchase the European business, makes it more enticing. I still prefer MA as it is quite cheaper now but I will continue to be long both. Good couple of days for credit lately, also both are raising fees on eBay/PayPal.

Mar 26 02:38 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • GameStop: Time To Trade-In Shares? [View article]
    Thanks for the comment Robert, I agree that the move to downloadable is inevitable, it is already underway in fact. I do think it will take a while for the shift to fully materialize with regard to new console releases.

The problem is consumers like to be able to save money by trading in games to use the credit for their next purchase, but that is what makes the possibly cheaper retail price of digital releases you mentioned key, in my opinion. I think the only way the majority of consumers will put up with restrictions on used games is if the cost is given back to them via price reductions digitally, otherwise I believe the switch could possibly hurt the overall industry. Great insight Robert, thanks!

Mar 25 10:08 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • J&J Snack Foods: A Bite-Sized Company With Room To Grow [View article]
    Yes, you are correct, judging from the products that I've enjoyed from them anyway (namely the whole-fruit frozen ices), their products are healthier than foods like Doritos/Pringles. I only meant that I would like to see them get into something like the nutrient bar category, a product that is geared specifically towards healthy living. But it is not a negative that they don't have anything like that yet or if they never do, I just think it could open up a new avenue of growth for the company if they pursue something like that in the future. It might be too far from what management wants to to do so I could be completely wrong in suggesting it but I think it could be interesting.

Mar 22 09:46 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Hershey Company: A Sweet Investment [View article]
    Brad,

Thanks for the detailed comment, I will take my time in watching the videos but I appreciate you attaching them, all info is good info. With regard to growth rates I most certainly did not leave out 2012, I simply included it in the table before the five-year average (the more recent/projected growth rates) as I've done with almost all of my previous articles, just the way I am used to structuring my articles recently. I like readers to see the most recent year first as it is the most reliable measure of growth available. With regards to why I didn't do a 7-year average the answer is similar, I just usually stick to 5 years because I don't think it is necessary to go back that far. HSY's 7 year numbers might have given investors a better sense of where the company's growth has come from but I did not think it was necessary as I believe it is far more important to investors to focus on where the growth is going in the future. I did specifically mention that HSY's EPS growth has not been impressive over that timespan (2006-2012, practically flat until 2012) but the stock paid dearly for it (downtrending for about four years) and it is in the past now.

Mar 21 06:34 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • J&J Snack Foods: A Bite-Sized Company With Room To Grow [View article]
    Stew Meat,

Sorry for the lengthy response time, I am unsure if the question is directed at me but I'll try my best to answer. A company like JJSF (which reminds me of a CHD) is unique because they are relatively small compared to peers and have brand name recognition with consumers, the latter more so. The combination of impressive revenue/EPS/dividend growth makes the company a unique investment and often means it will be priced at a premium to companies that can not similarly succeed in so many areas. I think a premium is justified, judging how much of a premium is difficult. There is also the idea of a buyout which could always happen with a company of this size in an industry ruled by much larger ones. I think a fair way to approach owning this stock would be go by prior valuation levels (as long as growth is comparable) and to begin buying in increments on pullbacks. In my experience, companies like this one rarely come cheap.

Mar 21 11:34 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • As The Era Of Airline Mergers Ends, The Era Of Airline Stability Begins [View article]
    In an industry where most companies carry heavy amounts of debt, why not invest in the company with the least, ALK? That's my thinking anyway. Great customer service, stranglehold on a niche market and terrific performer lately, still a relatively small company as well. Long Alaska Air Group. Thanks for the read.

Mar 20 06:50 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Hershey Company: A Sweet Investment [View article]
    Thanks Legal Bean, your comment is appreciated. I try my best to present only info that I believe is beneficial to investors, whether they agree or not. I don't think owning a stock/not owning a stock has any effect on whether my article is helpful or not, if others disagree they are free to simply not read what I write.

I think HSY is worth a look if/when it comes down in price. If you are just starting a portfolio I would say it is one to consider for the long-term, good company, nice fundamentals, niche product that seems to always be in demand, increasing dividends. I think it would fit well in a diverse group of holdings. All the best,

Mar 20 05:39 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Hershey Company: A Sweet Investment [View article]

Mar 20 05:39 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Hershey Company: A Sweet Investment [View article]
    DDSh,

There are sites that provide that info but I do not currently have access to one that provides it in chart form for extended periods, that is something that would be very useful to see and I have spent time looking for it. This is as best as I could dig up and it is helpful as it gives a small bar chart of HSY's payout ratio from 2009 to 2012, here's the link:

Although higher than last year's ratio of approximately 48%, HSY's current payout ratio is lower than it was in 2009 and 2010. I would like to see a chart like this over a longer time frame but can't find it as of yet. Thanks for bringing that up, it's helpful info to see over time. I appreciate the comment.

Mar 20 05:30 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Are McCormick's Spicy Multiples Justified? [View article]
    Jim,

As you know, I plan on adding to my shares if MKC pulls back as the stock has proven time and again to be a great buy on dips. It's hard to find a company with such market-share dominance. I am surprised it has done this well in the most recent month or two but as you mention it could be due to things like HNZ spec, but just maybe your idea of an upcoming split will come to fruition soon, the timing seems right.

Mar 20 10:14 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment