Philip Saglimbeni

View Philip Saglimbeni's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Electronic Arts: The Turnaround Is At Hand For This Fallen Angel - Buy On Headline Weakness [View article]
    Luke, I agree. Just look at the 2200 comments in response to the article in a few hours, all saying basically the same thing, "I won't buy a PS4." Who knows if it will actually happen, there has been speculation for a while about this sort of thing but it is not good for anybody, as you say. Retailers like GME would be in serious trouble as well. MSFT could benefit if they don't follow along but I can't imagine just Sony going ahead with it.
    Jan 3 06:56 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    sure thing, from what I understand it is a tag on each disc and once it is read by a console it is basically not usable with another system. I think this could be a major deal if it actually sees the light of day.

Jan 3 06:12 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I agree with David, I just don't see a decline in gaming audiences. Decline in sales is one thing as it is happening for other reasons in my opinion but I don't see the popularity waning at all.

David, on a slightly different note, what do you make of Sony's reported new patent that would block used game sales on the PS4 and its impact on the publishers?
    Jan 3 06:07 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Discovery Communications: A Natural Investment [View article]
    thanks again, I'l try to do a head-to-head on DISCA and SNI, looking back it should've been on my radar initially. I'm glad you enjoyed the article.
    Jan 3 05:34 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Individual Investor Fund New Year's Resolution - Beat The S&P 500 [View article]
    Nice on the ZIP. You seem to have a knack for spotting potential acquisition targets. You mentioned SNI as a possible buyout candidate on my article, that's interesting. I'm going to do some serious research on Scripps Interactive in the next few days. NWS caught my attention as well. I'm not too familiar with Excel but I'd be interested in hearing the gist of it if you'd care to share. Thanks in advance and no offense taken if you'd rather keep it to yourself.
    Jan 3 04:50 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Discovery Communications: A Natural Investment [View article]
    I really like both MA and V. About the only negative (besides possible government regulation/interference) is the P/E ratios for both have become pretty high recently. They are great for selling covered calls. On a pullback I'd recommend either one. MA is the larger position for me because I like the smaller market cap and fewer shares outstanding, but that's just my preference. I think either one would be a great addition to your already nice, diverse fund.
    Jan 3 03:45 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    I like the majority of the fund's holdings, particularly LNKD, TRIP, LQDT and DISCA. I think Kinder Morgan would serve the fund well and provide some nice dividend yield. I'm curious as to whether you end up establishing a position in AMCX, you know my feelings on that one long-term but like you I do think there could be a short-term play. Do you have any interest in apparel/retailers? More aggressive retailers like UA, LULU or KORS could serve the fund well in 2013.
    Jan 3 02:49 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Discovery Communications: A Natural Investment [View article]
    Thank you for the reply James. I watched the IPO of AMCX with interest but never pulled the trigger on it. As you said it "seems like a bad move" but long-term I don't think holding off will have been that bad of a move. Congratulations on the profitable DISCA investment, and I do believe the stock is ahead of itself a little bit, especially considering the recent run up to $66.

I was late to SNI, as I mentioned in a previous comment here, and I did not look at it when I was initially searching for media investments. When I finally did look at the numbers I was impressed. I also like that it is a smaller company. I plan to write about it in the future if there is an interest. I think DISCA vs. SNI would be a nice comparison.
    Jan 3 02:39 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Discovery Communications: A Natural Investment [View article]
    With regards to the debt, most companies in this sector do carry their share of it (DISCA, AMCX, VIAB, SNI and DIS) and so it is part of the business. AMCX's debt levels are the worst out of all the others I mentioned but, again, I don't recommend AMCX long-term.

As for your last point, I agree that this sector is incredibly hard to find real growth stocks. I believe DISCA is one of the few (I would include Disney as well but that is dependent upon how one defines growth). In terms of content I'd say Disney wins all day with ESPN (the most valuable suite of channels in my opinion) and Marvel, Lucasfilm and Pixar. I do believe DISCA will continue to offer growth but its more tempered growth going forward has positioned it at the more conservative side of my portfolio.

If someone were to ask me for my best growth stock I would not recommend DISCA first as I believe there are better ones out there, all of which are in other industries. My intent was to provide investors with what I believe is the best one in this sector and I do think Discovery is it.
    Jan 3 11:01 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Discovery Communications: A Natural Investment [View article]
    Esekla, thank you for the comment. The first article you linked basically states in the very beginning of it that AMCX appears to be a good investment at first glance, which is perhaps the wording I should have used myself. I do not think AMCX's current growth rate is sustainable beyond much more than a year but the company is expected to see better growth in the next year than any of the other company's I researched (also with a more reasonable forward P/E than DISCA) and so for an investor with a shorter timeframe than myself it could be considered a better play. I don't think it is a scam but it is not a sustainable growth stock in my opinion and I did not mean the article to come off as a recommendation of AMCX long-term. For a trade I think AMCX could work relatively well.
    Jan 3 11:01 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Discovery Communications: A Natural Investment [View article]
    SNI is without a doubt a comparable company, and a very good one at that. It is probably the best comparison to Discovery.The reason I did not include it is simple, this was an article about the four stocks I considered investing in in early 2012 and SNI was not one of them. An argument can be made that I should have considered it for my portfolio but I did not and so it can not appear in the article. I do not have anything against SNI, in fact I think it is a well run company but for me to include it in the article when I never considered it in the first place would be inaccurate. I may do an article comparing the two in the future. Thanks for the comment!
    Jan 2 05:13 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Discovery Communications: A Natural Investment [View article]
    Danny, that is a perfect summation. I wanted to make sure my media play had content that was easy to make and which appealed to as many viewers as possible. When you think about it, what can't Discovery make a show about? It's hard to see an end to the types of shows that they can successfully create. And as you point out most of their shows can be easily repackaged.

I'm curious to see how the company handles the new drama/sports channels they picked up recently because it is a bit outside their comfort zone. It'll be interesting to see what they can do with them.

Thanks for the comment.
    Jan 2 04:42 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Ford Is Starting To Make Some Big Waves [View article]
    thanks for the clarification, Ford appears to be in great position then.
    Dec 30 06:16 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Ford Is Starting To Make Some Big Waves [View article]
    Nice article Bret, I've never considered any of the auto companies but you make a compelling case for Ford, I had no idea China was such a strong point for the company (I've always thought of Ford in pure American/European terms, erroneously obviously). It would be my first choice because it's the best managed out of the American auto companies, I'd buy the stock personally but your option strategy is tempting. I too would always go American when given the choice in terms of actually buying a car, I think the tide is definitely shifting in that regard lately and it's great to finally see!
    Dec 30 11:11 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Panera Or Chipotle: Where Should An Investor Dine? [View article]
    I agree 100%, I think they are both extremely well run companies and I would say one could own both as well. I think both will be around for a long while and I still see good growth for going forward. Personally, I much prefer Chipotle's food over Panera's, no question.

Nice article Alexandra, I think you've picked the two best plays in the sector and did a good comparison.
    Dec 27 03:10 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment