Philip Saglimbeni

View Philip Saglimbeni's Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • Netflix's Remarkable Run [View article]
    agreed, House of Cards was pretty unwatchable for me as well, and one show does not make a bright future. That said, Amazon Prime's exclusive offerings were pretty bad as well (judging by the few I sampled last week).
    Apr 25, 2013. 08:44 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Samsung's (SSNLF.PK) Galaxy S IV is a superb phone, if one can cope with a cheap plastic feel and too many gimmicks. That seems to be the consensus from the first full reviews. The Verge praises the S IV's display, camera, and performance, but still considers the HTC One a better bet. "The Galaxy S4 is fast and impressive, but it's also noisy and complex." TechCrunch and Gizmodo deliver similar takes. But others (I, II) make the case that more is ultimately better (this mindset has worked for Samsung thus far). The reviews arrive as Sprint and T-Mobile state their S IV launches will be delayed due to inventory issues. Key suppliers: QCOM, BRCM, SYNA, PANL, ATML, RFMD, TQNT. (previous[View news story]
    I desperately want to upgrade from Bionic (worst smart phone I've ever had) to S4 but I don't want to choose between paying full price for it at Verizon or losing my unlimited data plan : (
    Apr 24, 2013. 03:19 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • As Summer Approaches, An Examination Of Alcohol Stocks [View article]
    I regret not buying $SAM at the $100 level six months ago. The $1.2 billion market cap or so stood out to me as being way too small for a growing company with such powerful brand name recognition as Samuel Adams. There is a positive growth story at work in the name and I believe it will remain viable for a while.

Apr 23, 2013. 09:58 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • eBay: A Compelling Buy On Recent Weakness [View article]
    James,

Thanks for writing and congrats on the huge return, I entered the stock at significantly higher levels but am still up considerably on it. I did actually break down the 'Payments' transaction revenue growth on its own but wasn't sure how to best and most accurately compare it to MA and V revs directly without taking some liberties with regard to valuation etc. On a year-over-year basis the transaction growth is impressive but slowing.

MELI and LQDT have always interested me, particularly LQDT with its salvage-type auction offerings. I know the stock has been struggling lately but your article on it a while ago had me reconsidering it at current levels especially since the company is still growing and paying down debt. The smaller market cap is enticing as well. With MELI, does eBay still have the 18% or so stake in the company it acquired when it sold them the Brazilian site? Thanks for the info,

Apr 23, 2013. 08:46 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • eBay: A Compelling Buy On Recent Weakness [View article]
    Wes,

Thanks for commenting. I plan on increasing my position by about 30%, will most likely begin today or tomorrow. The only thing I am waiting to see is how the stock reacts to its 200-day moving average, if it ever reaches it, and also the stock is at the bottom of the upward channel it has been in since late 2011 so I would expect a bounce soon. Valuation is appealing here and the growth is still strong. Best of luck,

Apr 23, 2013. 08:20 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Ryanair: Consider This Airline For Your Growth Portfolio [View article]
    Robinson,

I enjoy your focus on the airline industry, it's nice to get an author's take on many different airlines, especially the smaller ones like ALK and CPA that rarely receive attention. We've had a nice pullback in most of the stocks, ALK down about 15% from its highs, and I'm considering adding to my position once the chart looks like its ready to head higher. Keep up the good work,

Apr 16, 2013. 09:14 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Balchem: Boring But Beautiful [View article]
    Waxpass,

Thank you for writing. I appreciate the kind words. You are right, many investors concerned with dividends would overlook Balchem, but it would be a mistake in my opinion. Balchem is a great dividend grower, not a high yielder. An investor can count on robust dividend increases every year from the stock and the compunded effect (with dividends reinvested) becomes significant over time, which is the beauty of dividend-growth. Ideally, the best case is to find stocks that manage to provide healthy yield and grow dividends consistently but there are not many stocks that provide growth, consistent dividend-growth and healthy yield at the same time (there are a few, CHD, VFC, GWW that I've recently written about). Dividend-growth is a great aspect to consider and it can compliment high yield nicely in a balanced dividend portfolio. All the best,

Apr 10, 2013. 11:39 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Balchem: Boring But Beautiful [View article]
    Bearded and busy,

Thanks for the comment and for your insight. Management has done a nice job keeping a clean balance sheet while maintaining steady growth and I expect this to continue and possibly accelerate. The cash position is large and I look forward to seeing it deployed in the right way. I do believe the autism treatment licensing can be a positive for shareholders going forward but the lack of a specific time frame and the ongoing NDA approval process prevents me from becoming too optimistic. I think shareholders should think of it as one of many positives for Balchem. I agree with you, however, the potential is big. Thanks for writing,

Apr 10, 2013. 11:24 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Under Armour Will Overperform [View article]
    Matthew,

Nice writeup, it may sound a little crazy to some but this company has the extremely high potential you speak of, I firmly believe it (and that's not even considering the sneaker market, which UA has admittedly struggled with for a while). They are branching out well, first cotton and then the underwear segment and now management is really pushing for increased female-apparel sales, which I think is also a major area of growth going forward. I've been long UA since 2009 and plan to stay that way. Once again, nice job.

Apr 10, 2013. 09:30 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Balchem: Boring But Beautiful [View article]
    Nat,

Thanks for the kind words, Im glad you enjoyed the article. Yes, the stocks that go under the radar are definitely my favorite as well, I think mainly because there are simply not too many of them out there that perform consistently well, Balchem is a rare stock in that regard. I'm still always a little amazed that a stock of BCPC's caliber has only 200 or so followers on Seeking Alpha, when it has outperformed the majority of equities. It's a nice little secret in the investment community.

I'm eager to see how the cash is used as well, Mr. Rossi made reference to it, as I'm sure you know, a few times in the conference call, even mentioning acquisition in regards to Europe I believe. I think Balchem's main product offerings are strong enough to allow the company room to maneuver when it comes to things like CureMark and the sports nutrition drink, if one of them takes off and does well it could really be a nice surprise for investors.

I'm eager to initiate a new position in BCPC, I regret not taking advantage of the selloff in 2012. Thanks for comment Nat, it's much appreciated,

Apr 10, 2013. 09:19 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Discovery Communications (DISCA) declares Western Europe to be its new emerging market as execs back the region to see explosive gains. The company has made several key acquisitions in Scandinavia and is now the largest cable programmer outside the U.S. [View news story]
    Big opportunities for Discovery outside the US, I'm eager to see if the company can handle scripted drama/sports material as well as they do the docudrama format. Interesting company, long $DISCA.
    Apr 5, 2013. 09:13 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Individual Investor Fund: Mr. Market Keeps On Going [View article]
    I'm still interested in the fact that your holdings have a propensity towards buyouts, which is a good thing obviously. And there are a few companies in your portfolio/radar screen that still have the capability to be bought out. I'm assuming it is due mostly to the fact that you focus on quality stocks with smaller market caps, which are inherently more attractive to larger companies.

You have a large cash position, are you looking to add to existing positions on pullbacks/correction or just waiting for the next stock to catch your eye. I haven't initiated many new positions myself this year as the opportunities have been sparse with the large run in equities last quarter. Interesting read as usual James,

Apr 3, 2013. 09:28 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Copa: A Regional Airline With A Solid Business Model [View article]
    Nice follow-up to your Alaska article, truth be told I've never looked at this regional airliner but it has been performing as well as ALK. Looking at the growth numbers, which are very nice, CPA could possibly be better than ALK but I need to do more research on it to say for sure. Debt is very manageable, in my opinion, and much better than most other airliners I know of, both large and small. Nice piece Robinson, thanks for putting CPA on my radar. Some institutional buyers are snatching up shares in regional airliners lately and they've been great performers, I believe it will continue.

Mar 28, 2013. 02:52 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • GameStop: Time To Trade-In Shares? [View article]
    Thanks for the comment Robert, I agree that the move to downloadable is inevitable, it is already underway in fact. I do think it will take a while for the shift to fully materialize with regard to new console releases.

The problem is consumers like to be able to save money by trading in games to use the credit for their next purchase, but that is what makes the possibly cheaper retail price of digital releases you mentioned key, in my opinion. I think the only way the majority of consumers will put up with restrictions on used games is if the cost is given back to them via price reductions digitally, otherwise I believe the switch could possibly hurt the overall industry. Great insight Robert, thanks!

Mar 25, 2013. 10:08 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Hershey Company: A Sweet Investment [View article]
    Thanks Legal Bean, your comment is appreciated. I try my best to present only info that I believe is beneficial to investors, whether they agree or not. I don't think owning a stock/not owning a stock has any effect on whether my article is helpful or not, if others disagree they are free to simply not read what I write.

I think HSY is worth a look if/when it comes down in price. If you are just starting a portfolio I would say it is one to consider for the long-term, good company, nice fundamentals, niche product that seems to always be in demand, increasing dividends. I think it would fit well in a diverse group of holdings. All the best,

Mar 20, 2013. 05:39 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment