Philip Saglimbeni

View Philip Saglimbeni's Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • Is Union Pacific The Best Public Rail Company To Own For 2014 And Beyond? [View article]
    James,

Terrifically in-depth article as always. This one may be your best yet! I like the idea of owning a piece of the rail business, just a solid/utilitarian business that seems to get overlooked by many investors. When I did some research last year on the industry, $UNP stood out for me as well. Historically it's one of the best and it seems like a great and surefire way to capitalize on the major trend. I'll definitely revisit this article when I decide to pull the trigger on $UNP. Well done,

Phil
    Jan 14 06:10 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Target's legal problems start to build up following data breach [View news story]
    dare I say there's a target on their back at the moment . . .
    Dec 24 08:20 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Under Armor: The Best Sports Apparel Stock For Investors [View article]
    Seeking Profits,

Nice article, $UA remains the best growth story in retail, in my opinion. Lululemon is not even close since the brand is so niche compared to Under Armour. $LULU may be a lot cheaper but it's cheaper for a reason. It is still primarily a yoga company and unless management rectifies this the company's growth will remain challenged. Under Armour and Nike may have started out as football and basketball companies, respectively, but now they are so much more. Lululemon has not shown that it can diversify significantly yet.

And now LULU faces competition from UA, NKE and GPS in its signature yoga market. $UA should continue to outperform going forward, although LULU could be a nice rebound play soon. Just my opinion, thanks again for the article,

P.S. CEO Plank expects women's products to continue to outgrow men's and eventually generate more revenue than men's products for UA.

Phil
    Dec 16 07:22 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Coach may be fashionable again in 2014: Barron's [View news story]
    Nice, congrats on the return! I always remembered you were a big supporter of the company, as am I. Good luck and continued success,

Phil
    Dec 7 07:13 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Coach may be fashionable again in 2014: Barron's [View news story]
    Michael Kors is where the growth is at, stock doesn't trade too expensively either considering its robust revenue/EPS growth compared to competitors.

$KORS has improving margins as well, in direct contrast to $COH, indicating it does not have to discount much even in weak shopping atmospheres. Coupled with a brand that is on fire right now and a rapidly expanding store count, why even buy $COH?

Oh, Barron's . . .
    Dec 7 12:28 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • CBS seen as victorious as it agrees new deal with Time Warner [View news story]
    The content-creators remain the way to play this space, there will always be a need for compelling content and there are so few companies that can create it consistently. "Content is king."
    Sep 3 09:08 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Proto Labs: Breaking The Mold [View article]
    smb48,

Thank you for reading and for taking the time to write, I am glad you enjoyed the article. It is always nice to hear from someone that is familiar with the company's services by having used them before, especially with a service like PRLB's that is not well understood, it provides a rare perspective that we as investors don't often get. The company's 'ProtoQuote' ability seems very intuitive, I've attached a link to the company's site where it provides an example of a quote,

As an investor just doing research, it was very challenging to get a ground level view of the process so your description of it from an inventor/designer perspective is very important for me and all readers to see. It is reassuring that the process really does work as the company describes it. Truly appreciated,

Phil
    Aug 11 03:52 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Proto Labs: Breaking The Mold [View article]
    TakeFive,

Thanks for reading and for writing, this one was relatively new to me as well and it was fun to write. I've just always kept an eye on it as it has traded phenomenally over the last year. I was surprised to learn they were so different from the traditional 3D printer manufacturers despite always being mentioned in the same group. Most of the sites that I rely on for analysis only turned up private companies as direct competition. There are public companies that provide 3D CAD software/analysis (ADSK is one of them), but they are not direct competitors as far as I know since they focus on the initial design instead of the creation/molding process. This was a problem for me in the analysis and one of the reasons that I chose to include the 3D printing companies as comparisons. If you do find anything out on this subject, please let me know here or through a message. I am going to dig into this more as well and will keep you posted. PRLB is on my watch list now. Thanks again and hope to speak soon,

Phil
    Aug 10 04:33 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Visa Vs. MasterCard: V For Value, In The Short Term [View article]
    I also recently bought $V on the dip, added to my IRA position significantly. I also own $MA as my largest position because the growth story for both is just so strong, 50% of US is still untapped for these card giants and 80% of the world. As Ry The Kid states, it is an easy story to understand and believe in over the long-term. Also, investors would be hard pressed to find financially stronger companies, look at those balance sheets and fundamentals! I also think as growth inevitably slows, whenever that happens, these two stocks will be not just dividend payers but dividend-growers over time, which is very important to me and especially my retirement account.

Albert, thank you for listening to the readers and providing the nice followup to your well-timed MasterCard article. I appreciate your insight on these two companies. All the best,

Phil
    Aug 6 09:06 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Netflix's Biggest Threat May Be Discovery Communications [View article]
    DMV,

The more I think about it, the more it seems Discovery does not have the right content to drive its own streaming service very far. It is not must-see TV as I traditionally think of it and that is why Discovery needs to find the right price point/model to implement it. They say it is for the 'most enthusiastic fans' but how many of those can there be and is it worth it even for them when they probably have DVR's and the ability to watch on first airing? Interesting to see how this plays out.

Phil
    Jul 12 10:27 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Krispy Kreme Doughnuts: 'Krispy' Growth, 'Kremey' Returns [View article]
    lenholliday,

Thank you for the very kind words and for the great personal insight regarding CEO Morgan. I was relatively unfamiliar with his prior success at Interstate/JL but knowing he has a great track record makes me all the more bullish on KKD's future. There is nothing quite as inspiring as a solid track record from the person in charge, it is tangible proof of leadership ability and that is the kind of thing investors need to see. Truly a great comment, and thank you for the follow as well! Regards,

Phil
    Jul 12 09:48 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Netflix's Biggest Threat May Be Discovery Communications [View article]
    James,

Great and timely article, I meant to comment yesterday but wanted to read it a second time. We are very much on the same page with regards to the content creators and the branded content being the key to continued growth for these companies. In a media world where the technology changes along with the distribution platforms, the only aspect that really remains constant is the demand for original and compelling content. I can not see a diminishing demand for content at all going forward, which makes the strong content creators such interesting investment ideas for the future.

Discovery is one of my favorite plays in the space, as you know, along with Disney. The brand is strong in both domestic and international markets and management has been doing a good job at revitalizing some of the company's weaker channels. With regards to the streaming platform, I agree that it can be incredibly advantageous to the company and I would like to see it happen as an investor because I do think there is a demand for some of the backed-up content. If you analyze Discovery's content that is available on-demand from cabe/sat providers and what is available on programs like Amazon Prime, there is a noticeable time gap of several months, which Discovery knows it can exploit. Although I do think that the $6-$8 range is too steep for backed content that will be available at some point on other streaming platforms, I believe the demand is there and the company would do well to find the right price point to offer consumers. Discovery is very stingy when it comes to offering their premier shows via on-demand, hits like Deadliest Catch simply do not appear on providers like Verizon's on-demand services at all for order so the company is building demand in this way and a streaming service to capture some of it would make sense. Perhaps a rate that is in between, say $3-$4 would be beneficial to consider as well. I am trying to think of it from a consumer standpoint and I do not know if I would choose to subscribe to it for the extra money.

I'm with you that the 2-5 year rollout seems way too long and I'd be surprised if it took that long, the higher end of that range seems ridiculously long to implement this kind of strategy. The industry is definitely changing and I don't know if the viewer will ever have complete control over what they watch, bundling will remain for a while in at least some form, but the options for consumers are growing and companies like Discovery seem to be in prime position to capitalize.

It also makes the smaller companies like AMCX and STRZA interesting as well, the former more so to me. Did you ever add to DISCA on the most recent drop, I know you mentioned sub-$70 for entry and it did get reasonably close for a short time.

Phil
    Jul 10 02:24 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Krispy Kreme Doughnuts: 'Krispy' Growth, 'Kremey' Returns [View article]
    StockMarketMike,

Thank you for reading and for the comment, I've been focusing on small-cap stocks lately but they don't seem to garner much attention from many readers on SA, which makes your comment all the more appreciated. I'm glad to know someone enjoyed it, brightened up my day ; )

Congrats on the great return, you caught a great deal of the stock's recent run and I think it was a smart move to sell on your part, the appreciation in such short time makes it hard not to. I made some money on an option trade with KKD during the last earnings but that was about it.

I too want to see it correct to at least the 50-day average but as you say sometimes they just keep running. Similar to another stock I recently wrote about, CRI, I think KKD's ability to trade well in market pullbacks indicates that it will most likely continue to appreciate. Let's hope we can get a better entry, thanks again,

Phil
    Jul 1 08:26 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Facebook (FB -3.3%) is indeed working on a reader app, and it's aimed at mobile devices, the WSJ reports. The paper adds recent versions of the app resemble the very popular Flipboard, and that "it's unclear when Facebook will be ready to unveil the product," which presumably would aim to strengthen the company's content-sharing leadership. In addition to Flipboard, there are plenty of other popular mobile readers: can Facebook offer an innovative take, or will its app reinforce criticism the company is out of new ideas[View news story]
    With respect, it doesn't matter at all what Zuckerberg has done in his life before taking $FB public. He hasn't done much for shareholders and that's ALL that should matter to investors.
    Jun 24 06:18 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment