Philip Saglimbeni

View Philip Saglimbeni's Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • At the open: Dow -0.97% to 14658. S&P -1.21% to 1573. Nasdaq -1.04% to 3322.
    Treasurys: 30-year -0.61%. 10-yr -0.65%. 5-yr -0.4%.
    Commodities: Crude -0.39% to $93.32. Gold -0.35% to $1287.45.
    Currencies: Euro -0.32% vs. dollar. Yen -0.15%. Pound +0.07%[View news story]
    exactly, I'm considering adding to my $SBUX, $DIS, $MA, $V positions
    Jun 24 10:17 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Boston Beer: Almost Time To Take A Sip [View article]
    $SAM looks great the last two weeks, making new all-time highs today on above average volume and now above all key moving averages. Uptrend is still very much intact, the only thing that I'd like to see, from a purely trading perspective, is the stock experience positive volume that approaches the huge volume on 5/2/13 (which is unlikely to happen considering such low overall volumes on SAM). Other than that, you now have a well trading stock with a growth story very much intact. I think higher pricing is likely from here.
    Jun 19 11:32 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Jefferies reiterates its Buy rating and $66 price target on Starbucks (SBUX) after sizing up the company's presentation at the investment firm's consumer conference yesterday (recap). Analysts with the firm say Starbucks has the best visibility in the large-cap growth universe. [View news story]
    I'm long and bullish on $SBUX but how is it a buy at $67 with a $66 price target?
    Jun 19 08:20 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sony To Microsoft, Game Over? [View article]
    eh487521,

Neither do I. Add in very restrictive gaming elements and a higher price point and the Xbox One is the least consumer-friendly console I've ever seen. MSFT is on the verge of losing the console war, if it hasn't already.

Jun 15 10:34 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sony To Microsoft, Game Over? [View article]
    Mitrado,

I agree completely. The pre-orders at major retailers are already reflecting this, 3 PS4's are selling for every 2 Xbox One's currently, here's the link for that:

To make matters worse for $MSFT is that management doesn't seem to understand what they are doing and how much negativity they are creating around the product. The unveil/E3 presentation and all of the subsequent news releases surrounding the Xbox One have been handled very poorly, sometimes even with arrogance towards the consumer, with management telling audiences that they need to 'educate the consumer' and that those without internet should just buy a 360 instead. It's a laughable marketing strategy.

It is hard to fathom how $MSFT could have done worse. You only have one chance at a first impression and the Xbox One's is about as bad as you can do. Thanks for writing again,

Phil
    Jun 15 10:31 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sony To Microsoft, Game Over? [View article]
    tftf,

I thought this was worth noting as well, Microsoft's President of Interactive Entertainment Don Mattrick told press at E3 that all consumers looking to play offline should stick with the Xbox 360. Talk about arrogance! MSFT's Xbox management has no clue when it comes to marketing. Here's a link to it,

Jun 13 05:17 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sony To Microsoft, Game Over? [View article]
    TechStcokGuru,

Thanks for reading and writing. I am speaking about the lead Sony has on Microsoft at this point in time, strictly speaking about next gen systems not current gen. On every metric worth analyzing Sony is leading; gamer opinions, media opinions, pre-orders. Xbox One has more advanced media/social features for sure and it may very well appeal to more people but that doesn't mean consumers will go out and buy the console, especially at a significantly higher price point. The bottom line is sales and MSFT is offering a more restrictive device at higher pricing than SNE, a very risky strategy in my opinion.

Phil
    Jun 12 03:53 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • I'm An Irrationally Exuberant Investor In Tesla [View article]
    As many have said before, Elon Musk appears to be a real life Tony Stark ; )
    May 23 01:57 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Microsoft (MSFT) unveils the Xbox One, a 3rd-gen console it pitches as "the ultimate all-in-one entertainment system. The device has a rectangular, set-top box-like shape, a slightly bigger controller. a revamped Xbox Live UI, improved app/game loading and switching times, and fresh voice/gesture controls. AMD is widely believed to provide an integrated CPU/GPU for the system. (live blog) (previous[View news story]
    hahaha that is exactly what I was thinking, I half expected to find an RCA label on the side of it and a VHS pop out
    May 21 02:07 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Panera - A Terribly Positioned Company [View article]
    very true, hard to compare any other bagels to ones made in the tri-state area. I guess they are just a natural extension of Panera's bakery section but I haven't found a reason to even try them as the local selection is just so good.
    May 2 06:38 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Seeking Alpha Experiment: Portfolio Introduction And 2013 Quarter 1 Review [View article]
    Nicholas,

Enjoyable article and a nice mix of equities in the portfolio. I look forward to seeing how it performs going forward. As for the accusations, completely out of line in my opinion and you handled it very well. Keep up the good work.

Phil
    Apr 13 11:08 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Hershey Company: A Sweet Investment [View article]
    Good points Robert, thanks for the support, it's appreciated.
    Mar 19 11:34 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Hershey Company: A Sweet Investment [View article]
    Mercury Value,

Thank you and congrats on the heads-up buy amidst the chaos in 2008! Judging by the last 5 years it certainly seems like HSY doesn't trade all that cheap, but then again the best growth/dividend-growth stocks often are not cheap for very long and investors usually have to pay a premium to be involved, in my experience at least. Also, the stock has been trading extraordinarily well the last few years which makes it even harder to get a really good entry.

One of the strongest, if not THE strongest, aspects of HSY is the company's powerful brand lineup, from Reese's to Twizzlers and so on. Long-term, I have trouble seeing much decline in the popularity of these products and I believe HSY will do well for investors with a long-term view. Once again, thanks for the comment.

Phil
    Mar 19 09:18 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • J&J Snack Foods: A Bite-Sized Company With Room To Grow [View article]
    Kathy,

You're welcome and thanks for the comment. J&J has some interesting products, nothing that really stands out as being the most well known but the product line is well-rounded (from baking goods, to frozen ices and beverages, to pretzels and Spanish pastries). I really wish they would get into more of the healthy snack alternatives a bit, as this is a popular trend and could prove to be a new avenue of growth. The CEO has stated that they do not have any particular acquisitions in mind at this time but that they are always on the lookout. Thanks again for the comment, it's appreciated.

Phil
    Mar 13 03:26 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Under Armour Might Need A Deeper Moat [View article]
    Doug,

The moat that UA has, in my opinion, is the immense strength of the Under Armour brand. The young generations especially go out of their way to purchase UA products over competitors. As long as this continues I believe competitors will be playing catch up in apparel.

What has disappointed me so far with UA is their inferior footwear offerings thus far, they simply do not compare to Nike at all. It has already taken management a long time to perfect a design and they don't appear to be close, judging from the mixed reviews of their newest lines. The sneaker revs are growing because they are still very small but I am unsure if they can keep this up with such a weak product line.

It remains to be seen if the brand strength will carry over to international significantly, it will take a good deal of sponsorships. They are making strides in this regard and I believe they will be successful at it but only time will tell. Also, I think UA is primed to take a large chunk of market share from competitors in the female apparel market, they have just launched some new ad campaigns that seem to be catching on. I think the positives outweigh the negatives for UA going forward but you make a good point about the patents, it would be nicer for UA to have a lock on the tech. Nice article, thanks.

Phil