Philip Saglimbeni

View Philip Saglimbeni's Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • Time To Panic [View article]
    Timely article George, thanks! I'm looking to add to my Disney position at around current levels, the stock has been trading phenomenally well this year and it showed nice strength today.The company is projected to experience solid revenue growth and even better EPS growth over the next two years in part due to what I consider the strongest media content lineup in the business. I also expect a nice dividend raise in December.

Jun 21, 2013. 06:17 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Any Hope In Facebook? [View article]
    ciolan,

It's amazing how many investors do that! You are absolutely right, comparing stocks by price per share is simply wrong. Market cap is the ideal comparison of size and in my opinion Facebook, at an already massive $57 billion valuation (a ridiculous ~$80 billion at IPO), is being given a lot of leniency by the market and investors. The company has not yet proven it can properly monetize its billion users and counting and mobile still remains something of a challenge. I'm wary of the stock.

Jun 21, 2013. 09:03 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Sony To Microsoft, Game Over? [View article]
    Agreed, on all points. It would seem a rather easy choice for MSFT to offer a standalone console package priced at $399 alongside the $499 console/Kinect bundle.
    Jun 20, 2013. 11:15 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Sony To Microsoft, Game Over? [View article]
    Hey Everyone,

Microsoft has just announced a complete reversal of it's only recently announced stance on used games and always-online connectivity, here is a link:

Summary:
    The system will only require a connection to the internet at initial system startup and can play games without a connection after that point forever. The system will also not restrict used-games and allow game discs to be exchanged as they are now.

This is a big move by Microsoft and one that no doubt comes as a direct response to the horrible negative press the company has received after its Xbox One unveil and E3 presentations. Microsoft management had previously stated it needed to 'educate the consumer.' Well, it looks as if the consumer, and Sony, educated $MSFT instead.

I expect pre-orders for the system to pick up now but is it too little too late for the Xbox One's launch?

Jun 19, 2013. 05:50 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Packaging Corporation: Boxed And Ready To Ship Profits [View article]
    tallguyz,

You're very welcome, and thanks for reading and commenting. I was unfamiliar with RKT as well before researching companies to compare to $PKG. I was impressed with both for the most part, although I think PKG is a bit better especially in terms of dividends and some fundamental aspects. As another reader mentioned, there is some larger cyclicality to watch for with these companies that are so closely tied to domestic/consumer trends and therefore waiting for a better entry point could prove to be beneficial. Thanks again,

Jun 19, 2013. 11:23 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Packaging Corporation: Boxed And Ready To Ship Profits [View article]
    Sethmcs,

I can definitely understand your thinking, the timing for PKG may not be perfect for investors right now and cyclicality is a valid concern. Thank you for reading and writing, it's appreciated,

Jun 19, 2013. 07:52 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Packaging Corporation: Boxed And Ready To Ship Profits [View article]
    whoohah,

Thanks for reading and writing. You raise a valid concern and one that I perhaps should have mentioned in the article. Green technology is definitely a good thing and it is an undeniable trend happening across the country and the world as a whole. However, PKG does make its signature corrugated product line and containerboard products from recycled fiber and almost all of these products are 100% recyclable. Since the company's products are environmentally sound and emphasize cost to the consumer I do not see this being a significant problem, at least not at this point in time. Here is a link to the company's 'Environment' webpage section but additional information with regard to specific products can be found under each product line's description.

Thanks again for commenting,

Jun 18, 2013. 06:10 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Packaging Corporation: Boxed And Ready To Ship Profits [View article]
    Joe,

As a recent favorite of yours I decided to look into PKG more deeply and I see what you've liked about the company for a while now. I think you are right and as I mentioned a few times in the article, PKG is tightly tied to the US economy. So, bullishness on PKG is bullishness on America and the US consumer. A nice and consistent yield and recently strong dividend-growth cap some of the risk I think and overall I like the company as an IRA-type quality longterm investment.

Jun 18, 2013. 11:12 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Sony To Microsoft, Game Over? [View article]
    tftf,

Yes, and Xbox One is region locked while PS4 is not, which bodes well for Sony in European markets especially. MSFT has made questionable decisions at every turn it seems. Thanks for writing and for posting the link,

Jun 12, 2013. 04:24 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Sony To Microsoft, Game Over? [View article]
    lovelessk999

I am in agreement with your concern of GameStop, I think the long-term picture is far too cloudy for investors. It is a well run company but is at the mercy of a dynamically shifting industry and retail structure.

I disagree that SNE does not have great exclusives, they own some of the best in house developers in the business; Naughty Dog is the best in the business in my opinion, Geurilla Games, Media Molecule, Polyphony Digital, SCE Santa Monica to name a few. I'd go so far as to say Sony's exclusives are better than Microsoft's.

Thank you for writing, it's appreciated,

Jun 12, 2013. 04:21 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Microsoft: Where's Your Game At? [View article]
    Sony dominated Microsoft in press conferences once again, even though the game aspect of Microsoft's presentation was nice, in my opinion. I just have trouble seeing many consumers (myself included) who are interested in buying only one system and forced to choose between the PS4 and Xbox One picking the latter, simply because of the ridiculous restrictions placed on them and the higher price point.

Microsoft has stumbled big time here, Sony is capitalizing.
    Jun 11, 2013. 08:56 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • I'm An Irrationally Exuberant Investor In Tesla [View article]
    it was kind of a joke ; )
    May 23, 2013. 03:20 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Youku Tudou: An Investment Opportunity That Won't Last For Long [View article]
    Nice job James, very well thought out and explained. It is interesting to see so many companies lean towards in-house content creation, it's truly a powerful move that we are seeing over the last few years and it shows no sign of stopping. A problem I have with a company like Youko, and many other foreign ones, is that it is hard for me to understand if the new content that is being/will be created in the future is capable of contributing to sustainable growth over the long-term.

However, at just a $3.2 billion valuation while at the same time a leader in online/mobile advertising in China and with strong fundamentals to go along, Youko seems attractive and even relatively cheap on a forward basis. Projected rev growth for the next two years is incredible, at 70% and 50%! It's intriguing here, thanks for the suggestion,

May 23, 2013. 11:57 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Microsoft: Where's Your Game At? [View article]
    Rking1965,

Thanks for the comment. Yes, Xbox is definitely riding the powerful (and well deserved) momentum it has gained through its sheer domination of this current generation, your son's reaction is a perfect example of that. I think you are right about MSFT not revealing all of its cards with regard to the Xbox One and I expect much more will probably be shown at E3 by the company. Was your son impressed with what MSFT showed off at the unveil?

I disagree that the Playstation 4 is over, it is far from over in my opinion and Sony has generated more positive buzz from fans than Microsoft has with the Xbox One. While this doesn't mean it will be a success, it does mean, at the least, that the PS4 should not be counted out.

May 23, 2013. 10:10 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Microsoft: Where's Your Game At? [View article]
    That is my overall feeling as well, it is very likely MSFT will break out with the big guns at E3 and impress. My only concern is the effect that the short-term negative sentiment is having on the core gaming audience. Will it impact the consumer's decision to buy a PS4 over an Xbox One? While the majority of gamers are saying 'yes' to the question now, an awful lot can change in the months up to release. I just do not want to see MSFT stall for much longer. Thanks for writing,

May 23, 2013. 09:35 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment