View as an RSS Feed
View Portfolio Management 101's Articles BY TICKER:
Coresite Realty: It's Not Cheap, But I May Still Give Some Of My Data Dollars To This REIT
- The data consumption theme looks very compelling in light of current trends.
- Sometimes you have to look along the value chain to find opportunities that haven't already been exploited.
- It's fine to invest in a stock with less potential upside than a competitor if the investment rationale is still sound.
Ford Sales Are Revving Up, Stock Still Has 25% Upside
- Trying to time an entry point can sometimes result in a missed opportunity.
- Ford stock has had a nice return since April but it looks like momentum is building in unit sales.
- Despite the recent pop in the stock, it still offers 25% upside.
Digital Realty Keeps Cruising
- Mobile data growth continues to drive demand for data management and storage resources.
- Portfolio Repositioning for Digital Realty is about to gain steam in the second half of the year.
- With the largest portfolio of Digital Centers, Digital Realty should be selling at a premium to peers.
- Based on current FFO and expected growth in FFO in 2014-2015, the stock may hit $84.
A Breakdown Of Apple's ROE Tells A Cautionary Tale
- ROE is an important metric that can provide investors with a company's ability to generate returns.
- A high ROE is better than a low ROE but the trend and expectations of ROE are even more important.
- While Apple's ROE has been very high, it has been on a downward trajectory over the last 3 years.
- A Breakdown of Apple's ROE indicates what the driver has been and Apple's reliance on new product launches.
- The trend can be reversed, but certain actions need to be taken by Apple.
Forget The Trains And Planes, Buy This Industrial REIT For A 20% Treat
- Economic expansion in the US should continue to benefit transportation companies and warehouse real estate.
- Being positioned in some of the busiest ports in the US provides a competitive advantage for Terreno.
- Despite its lofty valuation, the stock not only has upside but the potential for dividend increases as well.
Prospect Capital: With The SEC Issue Resolved, The Stock Has 50% Potential Return
- Prospect Capital had a run in with the SEC that scared away investors but the issue was accounting related and did not affect operations.
- Despite not having to restate prior year financial statements, the stock merely recovered to pre-SEC issue levels.
- I think investors are still taking a wait and see approach but the stock has substantial upside of 50%.
Resource Capital: 14% Dividend Yield Is Nice, But I'm Putting This One On Ice
- Resource Capital operations in a very lucrative niche within capital lending.
- Despite a big drop in one of the most profitable areas of its portfolio, it seems to be focusing on the right growth drivers.
- Despite a 14% yield, there is just too much inconsistency in the fundamentals of the company, and the dividend may be cut further.
- Until fundamentals stabilize, I'd watch this one for now.
Bristow Group: Deep Offshore Drilling Is The Catalyst For A High-Flying Stock
- The leader in oil and gas helicopter transportation is not resting on its laurels.
- The growth in offshore drilling has provided the company with additional growth opportunities and it is positioning itself to be a market leader in the space.
- The current market price doesn't seem to be giving the company credit for the growth in earnings expected over the next 2 years.
CBL & Associates: A Detailed Look At The Transformation Reveals A Potentially Sharp Upside Move
- Investors don't like uncertainty and in many cases, it is avoided like the plague.
- Fortunately for smart investors, the potential risks and rewards of uncertainty can be evaluated and opportunities usually are greatest when uncertainty is highest.
- The uncertainty of CBL's portfolio transformation is not well understood and it is currently trading well below its intrinsic value.
Dogs Of The Dow Strategy Working So Far. What Should You Do Now?
- The Dogs of the Dow strategy is a defensive way to invest in equities.
- The strategy has performed well thus far but there is no rule that states you must continue to remain invested.
- To determine which Dogs to keep and which Dogs to sell, online analyst estimates can be used as an input into your decision.
Cohen & Steers: The King Of REITs Poised To Provide Investors 42% Annualized Returns
- Retail investors are still wary of the 2008-2009 portfolio declines and are increasingly looking for ways to diversify.
- The retail liquid alternatives space provides uncorrelated returns to traditional asset classes and has been growing rapidly.
- The companies well-positioned in the space, either because of reputational advantages or distribution capabilities, will be the major beneficiaries of RLA growth.
Annaly: Can You Invest In It And Still Sleep Well At Night?
- Mortgage REITs have very unique risks that may be more complex than some Equity REITs.
- Prepayment risks and interest rate risks are the primary risks faced by mREITs.
- Understanding mREIT risks and how Annaly mitigates them should give you some comfort if you decide to invest in it.
IBM: Can This Old Tech Company Still Provide A 17% Return?
- IBM is the epitome of old tech.
- Somewhat forgotten, it has reinvented itself as an IT services company.
- While I have been fond of its competitor Accenture, I think the tables have finally turned.
Google Android Has And Will Continue To Dominate The Global Smartphone Market
- Google Android has dominated the global smartphone market.
- With comparable features to the Apple iOS, the only differentiating factor in developing markets is cost.
- As the lowest cost provider in collaboration with many other players in the mobile ecosystem, Google is positioned to continue to dominate smartphones.
Facebook: A Great Company, But The Pullback Doesn't Make It A Great Buy Yet
- Great companies are relatively easy to identify but they can go through challenging periods and expensive valuations.
- In Facebook's case, it is difficult to evaluate a proper price target because of its short history.
- Relative to peers and optimistic estimates, the stock currently looks expensive.
- The pullback may not be over, so investors would be prudent to wait until there is confirmation of another upward trend.
Citigroup: Valuations Are Cheap, But Patience Will Be Required
- Citi announced better than expected results, but the numbers seemed tepid.
- Results for the company have been volatile over the last several years, and the turnaround is still not complete.
- The implied fair value price seemed too high and severely optimistic.
- With a more conservative valuation approach, the stock still looks attractive for a 12-18 month holding period.
Ford: Waiting Until It Hits $15 May Result In A Missed Opportunity
- Ford stock has corrected sharply along with the broader market.
- On a YTD basis, it is still outperforming both the broader market and the peer group.
- A price of $15 will certainly be a buying opportunity but there is a risk that it doesn't reach those levels before it reverses.
- Investors interested in the stock should consider buying even if it doesn't reach $15, otherwise, a 30% opportunity may be missed.
Crown Crafts Inc.: Some Upside Potential But Revenue Growth Is Key
- Birth rates are at an all-time low and are poised to reverse that trend and begin to increase again.
- With the economy improving and consumer confidence rising, families are more likely to have children.
- Crown Crafts is positioned to take advantage of this trend not only as a licensor of well-known themes, but also in positioning its company brand for a higher level recognition.
- The question remains whether Crown can generate growth in revenues.
Microsoft Starts To Give Away Windows: Should Investors Give Away The Stock?
- Investing in Microsoft has been a windfall for early investors who initially enjoyed price appreciation and now have a dividend to boot.
- The war against Google is forcing Microsoft to reevaluate its strategy, and the stock has lagged recently.
- There is still some moderate upside in the stock in the long-term, but potential downside in the short-term requires monitoring.
GE: The Recent 7% Pullback Is An Opportunity To Increase Positions
- GE is one of the most diversified companies and has had solid financial results and stellar returns for shareholders over the years.
- Over some periods, it may mimic the broader index because of its size and breadth of operations.
- When the stock has a strong pullback relative to the broader index, it may indicate a good buying opportunity.
Hewlett-Packard Has Upside But Barron's Is Too Optimistic
- Barron's recently published a bullish story on Hewlett-Packard claiming the stock has a 20% upside in a year.
- Despite steady cash flows, HPQ has had declines in revenue.
- The stock has the potential to rise substantially, but until revenue grows, it deserves to trade at a discount to peers.
Bank Of America: Not Just A Dividend Growth Story, It's Undervalued
- Bank of America's has recovered from the financial crisis and will soon have greater flexibility to implement shareholder-friendly policies.
- Its dividend is expected to grow considerably over the next few years.
- But dividend growth isn't the only reason to buy this stock. It has upside potential as well.
Barron's 10 Favorite Stocks For 2014 - 1Q Update
- Barron's Top Picks for 2014 were a diverse group of stocks from companies in different industries.
- All of these stocks had analyst coverage whose opinions were as varied as they were inaccurate.
- When evaluating stocks, even from well-known financial publications, do your own research and base decisions on your own opinion.
Google: Optimism Is Built Into The Current Price
- Google's growth story is amazing and investors who got in early probably experienced a once in a lifetime investment opportunity.
- Google has provided returns in excess of 12 times the initial investment since its IPO and I wonder if it can do it again.
- Despite very optimistic earnings growth projections, the stock looks slightly overvalued.
- A shortfall in earnings could adversely impact the projected returns on the stock and cause a sharp correction.
Slower-Growing Apple Is Still A Buy
- Apple has had phenomenal revenue and earnings growth over the last 15 years.
- Over the last 3-5 years, growth has slowed considerably for Apple.
- Despite slower growth, Apple stock has meaningful return potential.
- The value for shareholders going forward may come more from dividend growth than earnings growth.
Buying Aristocrats Can Result In Long-Term Dividend Growth
- There are companies that have historically been able to sustain growth in dividends over long periods of time.
- While past performance is not an indication of future results, these companies are well managed and are financially stable.
- Finding the right companies with high probability of continued dividend growth may be beneficial in the long run.
General Growth Properties: Is Being #2 A Competitive Advantage?
- General Growth is the second largest mall owner, but instead of trying to catch #1, it is actually getting smaller.
- It is 'recycling' its portfolio to focus more on higher end malls with sales per square foot above $650.
- Will this be enough for investors and is this a good time to invest?
Simon Property Group: Are 2 Birds In The Hand Really Worth More?
- Simon Property is the premier regional mall owner in the US.
- The recent announcement to spin off part of its business may present an interesting opportunity.
- Depending on your investment style, Simon may or may not be attractively priced.
How Networking Helps Digital Realty Distance Itself From The Competition
- The Network Effect Can be a powerful competitive advantage.
- A first mover in any industry can establish a network effect.
- Digital Realty has used the network effect to become the leader in its industry.
Intelligent REIT Shoppers Should Wait Until Kimco Goes On Sale
- Consumer confidence is rising which should bode well for Retail REITs.
- Kimco Realty is going through a strategic change that should keep it well positioned to capitalize on consumer trends.
- Unfortunately, Kimco has limited upside due to its current fair valuation.
- Mortgage REITs: Proceed Without Fear
- RLJ Lodging Distancing Itself From The Competition: Watch For Strong Dividend Hikes