Pragmatic Bear

View Pragmatic Bear's Comments BY TICKER:
  • The battle between Mario Draghi and the Bundesbank continues, the Buba choosing today (24 hours ahead of an ECB policy meeting) to publish on its website a late-June interview with bank President Jens Weidmann in which he says the ECB is "obliged to respect" and not overstep its mandate. "We have a greater say than many other banks in the EU."  [View news story]
    They account for 19% of the ECBs capital but only receive (like everyone else) 1/23 of the vote. Doesn't seem very fair.
    Aug 1 07:17 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Again, What Euro Crisis? [View article]
    Not to argue but the housing bubble was expected as many people were calling the dramatic spike in home prices unsustainable well before the crash. If you want to tell me that the impact of the complex derivatives that the financial institutions were using was unexpected, then I would tend to agree with you.
    Jun 13 09:11 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Again, What Euro Crisis? [View article]
    "Modern economic theory has advanced so much from the great depression that if something is expected, it can hardly ever become a severe crisis."

I guess you weren't around in 2007-2009.
    Jun 12 05:37 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Fast-Food Showdown [View article]
    Ive been looking into selling some out of the money puts on MCD. That way I can get paid for waiting for a potential pullback. Also if it does fall and the options exercised I get a great company at a discounted price. If it continues to rise I pocket the premium.
    Feb 13 01:57 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Yum Brands' Q4 Results: Strong Chinese Demand Continues, But Shares Still Expensive [View article]
    I am a huge fan of YUM. The large bet that the company has made on China will pay dividends to investors for years to come.
    Feb 7 12:07 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • A Month For The Dogs [View article]
    Your right sorry about that. I'm in touch with the moderators with the correction.
    Feb 3 03:45 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is Netflix On A Suicide Mission? [View article]
    One thing I've learned over the years is whenever some is saying "We don't need the money" while raising money.

They "need" the money.
    Feb 3 02:35 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Debunking Altucher's Bull: 'I Could See, But Now Am Blind' [View article]
    -"Everything he has brought up has been a re-interpretation of the facts I've brought up."

-First of all, how would you know if everything has been brought up if you haven't even read the article?

I read this entire debate from begging to end and this was by far my favorite comment.
    Feb 2 05:55 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Debunking Altucher's Bull: 'I Could See, But Now Am Blind' [View article]
    Just watched the documentary about the Singularity. You should check it out if you haven't seen it already: Transcendent Man (2009). Some of the concepts it delves into are just so unique and frightening that they are hard to wrap your mind around.
    Feb 2 04:52 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Netflix: Being Right For All The Wrong Reasons [View article]
    This was a fantastic article. Loved the analysis of the irrational upward trends of some of the dogs of 2011. I really enjoyed reading it. Keep up the good work.
    Feb 2 03:17 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • More on Apple (AAPL): FQ1 gross margin was 44.7%, up 780 bps Q/Q and 620 bps Y/Y. Not counting Apple stores, Americas revenue +92% Y/Y, Europe +55%, Japan +148%, Asia-Pac +54% (delayed China iPhone launch). Retail revenue +58%, up from just 1% in FQ4. Ended quarter with $97.7B in cash and investments. AAPL has resumed trading, up 8.8%. (PR)  [View news story]
    Fantastic
    Jan 24 05:04 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is RIM A Broken Stock Or A Broken Company? [View article]
    I've also been trying to kick the habit. You have to give it to them, there is something extremely addictive about it.
    Jan 16 03:10 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is RIM A Broken Stock Or A Broken Company? [View article]
    Hahaha this is good. Consumer sentiment at its finest.
    Jan 13 05:51 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Is RIM A Broken Stock Or A Broken Company? [View article]
    This news was announced after I submitted my article. RIMM has hired Goldman Sachs to begin gathering potential offers. Perhaps RIMM is starting to accept the idea of selling itself.

Jan 13 02:41 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Sirius XM (SIRI) gains 2.2% AH after stating it will end the year with nearly 21.9M subscribers, exceeding its prior guidance. The year-end figure represents a Q/Q increase of 540K subs, and a Y/Y increase of 1.7M.  [View news story]
    More good news for SIRI