Pragmatic Bear

View Pragmatic Bear's Comments BY TICKER:
  • 9 Dividend Stocks That Will Withstand Economic Downturn [View article]
    The decision to invest a large amount of money is one that needs to be made carefully. First of all, I feel that you must change your perception of investing. 20k is a of money but you should not be looking to put all your eggs into one basket. You need to take advantage of one of the only "free lunches" out there which is diversification. Also being a smart investor means constantly reevaluating your portfolio's position. Usually twice a year you will want to do a complete review. I would suggest that you do some research into Modern Portfolio Theory. I realize this is not the "sexy" answer as picking a single stock. However, this will hopefully save you some heartache and potential losses.
    Aug 22, 2011. 07:05 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 9 Dividend Stocks That Will Withstand Economic Downturn [View article]
    Thanks for your comments. Patience is key when investing for income.
    Aug 21, 2011. 02:47 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Lowe's Looks Good but Home Depot Is the Stronger Name [View article]
    Thanks for all of your comments. As I am not a big user of HD or LOW (even though both stores are within 3 miles of my house), I was using more of a straight fundamental analysis in looking at these companies. So I definitely welcome all of your personal experiences with HD or LOW. I also agree that Nardelli was absolutely awful for HD. However, in his absence Frank Blake seems to be righting the ship by focusing more on the core business.
    Aug 18, 2011. 01:04 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Beware the dead-cat bounce. We've had a good move off last week's lows, but most of the buying has been very stock specific, based on earnings or "fire-sale" valuation upgrades without much carryover into respective sectors. Narrow moves higher without broad, sector-wide participation are classic signs of a bear market rally.  [View news story]
    This guy has the right idea
    Aug 17, 2011. 09:11 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • First Solar: Expecting Short-Term Bounce but Long-Term Headwinds [View article]
    Thank you for your comment . After looking further into BOS cost and efficiency of FSLR modules, I agree with you. I wish I had added a segment of this into my article. This just adds credence to my point that there are long term headwinds facing this company.
    Aug 15, 2011. 07:30 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Bank of America: Rumors Provide Rare Opportunity [View article]
    I agree with the author's previous comment. The short term hits will come and go. However, if you believe (as I do) that there is value in this company then you will view this as a tremendous buying opportunity. Great Article.
    Aug 9, 2011. 11:02 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • House Majority Leader Eric Cantor says it's time for Americans to "come to grips with the fact that promises have been made that frankly are not going to be kept for many," and young people must "adjust" to a future with fewer entitlements. Straight talk for a change, or a betrayal?  [View news story]
    The bottom line is if you are counting on social security to account for a significant part of your retirement your deluded and in trouble. I'm 24 and I plan on never seeing a dime of the money that I am forced to donate.
    Aug 3, 2011. 10:06 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Straight Talk for once. Maybe now we can start talking about reform.
    Aug 3, 2011. 07:53 PM | 8 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The WSJ reports this evening's vote on Speaker Boehner's debt-limit proposal is off for the moment. One would have to assume this is because the Speaker did not have the votes to pass the legislation.  [View news story]
    We can't tax the "Job Creators" is one of the longest standing myths. They are creating jobs. However, it is overseas so that they can cut their costs and raise their profits.
    Jul 31, 2011. 11:59 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I am just voting against all incumbents until something changes. I encourage all to do the same. A message needs to be sent to these politicians that believe that it is alright to play chicken with economic destruction.
    Jul 28, 2011. 05:37 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Geithner says "we're running out of time" to raise the debt ceiling. Bernanke says failure would be "calamitous." Pres. Obama says seniors might not get Social Security checks without a deal. But, Kurt Brouwer asks, isn't this the same gang who said TARP, the stimulus, Obamacare, QE1 and QE2 would fix things? Is it any wonder that Americans "just do not trust our leadership anymore?"  [View news story]
    I can't believe that the people in charge will let the United States default on our debt. It would be a disaster, I am quite certain that a global depression would follow considering that we are the reserve world currency and our debt is seen by all as a safe haven investment.
    Jul 14, 2011. 06:54 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • S&P's negative outlook on U.S. sovereign debt is a stroll in the park compared to Martin Weiss of Weiss Ratings' view: He gives U.S. debt a C rating - just two notches above junk.  [View news story]
    That is absurd if the rating agencies every dropped the debt that low the World might just collapse.
    May 3, 2011. 12:52 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The House GOP has its plan to cut the deficit and Obama has his. Now six senators, three from each side, are formulating a bipartisan program to slash borrowing by $4T over the next decade. The Republicans would have to agree to tax hikes, the Democrats cuts to health and even social security.  [View news story]
    The major cuts that need to be made are in Defense, Social Security, and Medicare. It is only a matter of time if we are looking to deal with our deficit issues. We have promised far too much to too many people and it is simply unsustainable. However, we also need to work on capturing more tax revenues either through an increased tax on the wealthy or more preferably a reformation of the tax code that will make it harder for entities to avoid paying taxes.
    May 1, 2011. 11:02 AM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Jamie Dimon (JPM) received a $5M cash bonus for 2010, his base salary remained at $1M, and his restricted stock payout increased 20% to $17M, according to a regulatory filing. Dimon's total compensation for 2010 rose 51% to $23M from $15.2M in 2009.  [View news story]
    Plutocracy