Prescient Investment Analysis

View Prescient Investment Analysis' Comments BY TICKER:
  • Previewing The Vringo V. Google Patent Trial [View instapost]
    Wow, that report is certainly helpful to someone like me who is not a lawyer and is trying to follow the case. Some reactions and comments:

Personally, I was afraid to use Google's prior art finder.

The strategy/tactic of "Both attorneys trying to paint their clients as the good guy..." has caught my attention, because it appears the plaintiffs have precluded the defense from 'Name calling.'

I note that the author is a professor of patent law. Perhaps you would be willing to comment on the issue of theft of US intellectual property? It would be regrettable to be narrow-minded; however, the news media tends to point a finger at China as a sort of serial infringer. Protection of our sovereign assets must be an ongoing issue in IP law--and perhaps does not act as a cuirass for ZTE against Vringo's selection of it as the target of another licensing action?

Please excuse me if terms are misused or misapplied here; though this is not, strictly speaking, a pro se effort...
    Oct 12 11:15 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 3 Oversold Growth Stocks With No Debt Ready To Bounce [View article]
    ACTG is near its 52 week low, why no publicly disclosed insider buying?
    Oct 11 03:53 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Acacia Research Partners With Boston Scientific For A Major Medical Patent Play [View article]
    It is drifting down again. I am not sure what is going on here. Are Acacia and Samsung maintaining a relationship?

Given analyst expectations for the company it must be just a matter of time before the shares appreciate in value. Earnings could be a catalyst; but I am in no position to judge.
    Oct 10 12:42 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Vringo Vs. Google: Vringo's Damage Calculation Looks To Be Reduced [View article]
    Bigsmoke, A lot has been said about Mr. Stout, and it appears that he has obtained preeminent status as an attorney due to his skills and abilities. Unless I am mistaken, he and his firm are not directly involved in the case.

Google may be having troubling accepting the reality that trebled damages for willful infringement are a possibility.

However, media coverage of this trial process is likely to increase--and Vringo, remarkably, has taken up a concurrent case against ZTE. ZTE is being investigated by a Congressional commission amidst allegations of threats to national security! Donald Stout may have been directly involved in this new suit process and its timing.

I am impressed because there could be an increased challenge for Google to handle what may be an adverse storyline. Who is to deprive a man for his successful creation? Probably not the jury. For the media, they can describe a plaintiff that is outwardly taking up American causes.
    Oct 10 10:54 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Long Starbucks On Verismo Brewers, Short Green Mountain Coffee On Competitive Threats [View article]
    From my recollection, their stake in GMCR is not large enough to be a cause of concern. However, it may not be helping at this time, and I would like to keep an eye on LavAzza, S.p.A.--except it is privately held.
    Oct 10 08:53 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    The defense has considerable expertise with the Court that is hearing the case. I have come to learn that it is known as a "Rocket Docket" and is known for its capable judges, amongst other things. http://bit.ly/QgINMt
    Unfortunately, to me, an implication here is that the defense is sending a message saying: "Here is a valid reason we can not negotiate...What, you think there time?" Their actions might be interpreted as protest against the fact that its not so easy to delay justice in this situation.
    Oct 10 07:37 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    This thing has me on the edge of my seat, so, of course, this analysis is much appreciated.
    Oct 9 11:50 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • What Is Behind Vringo's Lawsuit Against ZTE? [View article]
    This is actually a fairly important story. A man named George Kurtz, CEO of CrowdStrike and past CTO at McAfee has been describing the state of affairs on the Bloomberg West TV show (Broadcast here moments ago). Part of the issue, he says, is that we have already lost manufacturing here in the USA and intellectual property is our "Last bastion." He also says China steals IP "By the truckload," and that Huawei and ZTE use "Hardware for espionage."

A US panel is probing complaints about Hauwei and also ZTE. There are allegations of national security threats. Evidently there is a delayed European Commission trade case against the two firms:

Oct 9 11:35 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    My local Target store now has competing CBTL "Capsule" products, at sale prices with a promotion; and the local Supervalu grocer is offering Java Delight UnCups at a discount to GMCR products. Does this mean GMCR's share price is about to fall to the point that my $14 December puts are profitable? I do not know. If, on November 5th, GMCR says the Vue has not been selling, its hard to imagine the stock doing anything beyond temporarily wimpering higher. Completion of the SEC investigation could also have bearing.

How much has LavAzza lost on its GMCR stake?
    Oct 9 07:49 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I am just getting familiar with the stock and notice that its share price appears to be bouncing up from its 52 week low. There is no listing in the index of today's WSJ about it, and no publicly available information of recent insider buying. Evidently, this patent acquisition has questionable value?
    Oct 9 01:09 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What Is The Likelihood That Google Will Settle With Vringo Next Week? The Statistics Are Not In Vringo's Favor. [View instapost]
    If it is a source of interest to anyone else, Acacia Research Corporation (ACTG) is a "Leader in Technology Licensing." George Soros has been rebuilding a position in it (3,239,179 shares on 6/30/12). Its market cap is $1.25 billion, so someone like me would not be as easily lost inside of it as say, General Electric...Probably too big for Seeking Alpha articles to quickly impact the stock price?

However, I know little about the company. The share price is down. So, questions about whether there is an advantageous chance to buy in, or serious problems to be avoided, would need to be evaluated. Maybe some of the billionaires are buying?
    Oct 8 07:03 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Vringo Warrants Offer An Amazing Asymmetrical Trade [View article]
    Er, C) above should say "...over 200% of the share price?"
    Oct 7 08:42 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Vringo Warrants Offer An Amazing Asymmetrical Trade [View article]
    I have been following your posts and do not wish to be adverse, so if my response sounds that way it is unintentional and regrettable.

A) If it were not for weekends and holidays, I am sure that Google would be sued 365 days a year (though statistics do not back this assertion up), and win against most of the claims. So the VP's commentary, to me, is a kind of generalized statement, and is difficult to say it has tremendous bearing on the individual case.

B) Obviously anyone who held warrants at the time of this article is doing well with them. Better than I, particularly having sold all my shares in the afternoon of the Motion for Summary Judgment's denial. Currently my stake in the matter takes the form of a 4/9 November call spread with $1.25 premium. Perhaps I am wrong, but in any positive situation except a buyout, it is likely that there would be time to buy back the $9 call? The chance to buy to close would be especially likely if short sellers get emboldened again around trial time?

C) For people who have been around investing, has there ever been a time when a buyout offer was over 100% of the share price? I pay attention to this sort of thing and can not think of an instance when the share price was, say, $4.50, and the acquirer says "We will give you $17."

D) Not long after this article's publication, I used Vringo's web site to contact investor relations requesting the terms (specific language is currently escaping me) of the warrants. There has been no reply. This to me is extremely negative.
    Oct 7 06:09 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Vringo Vs. Google: Vringo Wins (By And Large) The MILs [View article]
    Possession of money is leverage for negotiations. Even if it does not "Mean a whole lot," it strengthens a party's position...On the other hand, the defense probably is not about to reveal a box of tongue depressors concealed in a jacket pocket and string them all together by means of rubber bands... :)
    Oct 7 09:20 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Vringo Vs. Google: Vringo Wins (By And Large) The MILs [View article]
    We have another quite helpful and lucid article!
    Oct 5 07:18 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment