Prescient Investment Analysis

View Prescient Investment Analysis' Comments BY TICKER:
  • Might Other Companies Be Liable If Herbalife Is A Pyramid? [View article]
    Vince, I am bringing up different data on HLF's financial statements from different sources. If a company that services a retirement account's S&P standardized forms are used, HLF has generated cash in each of the past five quarters, has met or beaten earnings estimates several consecutive times, and has little debt. Yahoo! Finance's page depicts the company quite differently, unless there is an error on my part.

Me? It is tempting to buy at or under $34 because the dividend may be raised, after four consecutive quarters at $0.30, potentially result in a 4% yield or higher. Because it is not the type of company I would be enthusiastic about owning, a cheapened March call could be preferable, and especially profitable if stock is shorted against it when and if it goes ex-dividend in early March.

I do not know if an analogy can be made to a strain upon one's grip; however, HLF is probably soon going to be costly for short sellers!
    Feb 5, 2013. 08:05 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Might Other Companies Be Liable If Herbalife Is A Pyramid? [View article]
    Wally World, despite not being an authority on IP matters, a concern for me is if you are somehow connected with any of the "Wally World" results that come up upon an internet search? Surely it is a trade name? I stand to learn something.

Dan Ravicher may have glanced at a lightly glazed image of Michael O. Johnson before composing this piece, thusly not communicating in writing with Amazon.com, and sparing his audience of any implicit chagrin. Amazon has the lowest price on Herbalife!
    Feb 5, 2013. 04:06 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • MGT's Hand Just Got Stronger [View article]
    From my own December 7th notes on this, the venue is the US District Court for the Southern District of Mississippi. Nixon and Vanderhuye are based in Arlington, VA. Would anyone know why they have filed their claim so far away? (I know the attorneys, Rowan and Presta, won a case there before). If the trial should be less than a year from now, then a Markman hearing might be scheduled within the time frame pondered in the article. Augme did not sue Gannet in Mississippi, though?
    Feb 5, 2013. 02:10 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How WMS Shareholders Should Hedge Against A Failed Buyout [View article]
    I am only aware of MGT because of the author's work and would encourage him to keep writing articles about it.

Hedging might be a sort of charged word for some--maybe similar to the way aanhanger now used to be for me? He does explicitly recommend discussing it with a financial advisor.
    Feb 4, 2013. 01:03 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • How The Herbalife Short Squeeze Would Work [View article]
    Do you have any inclination as to what the company's dividend yield may be next? If you look over its history, HLF increased its quarterly payment from $0.13 to $0.20 for Q2 of 2011; and, over the past year has paid $1.20. I would be shocked if they decrease it.

Moreover, a lot of the issues--provided they are not lawfully valid--have been priced in since last year. An earnings beat and dividend boost seems to be among the possibilities... If 4% is a high yielding stock...
    Jan 30, 2013. 01:29 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 4 Serious Reasons Herbalife Is Headed Higher [View article]
    I agree with the article and am perplexed that there is no discussion of an options trade. Herbalife is not a business I would be enthusiastic about owning, but profiting from the rights to buy its stock seems appropriate?

Here is another reason the stock may head higher that is not mentioned: HLF might be able to boost its dividend again, maybe even at this next Report, after paying $0.30 for the past four quarters. They have been meeting or beating earnings, generated cash for each of the past five quarters, and have little debt. During the last two years, the stock has gone ex-dividend during the first week of March...

While I think Bill Ackman is right that no one who could afford HLF would buy it outright, "The Mother of All Short Squeezes" probably can not be expected until the conclusion of any governmental investigation that might take years. It is clear that Carl Icahn currently does not comment on his holdings and it sounds like they would only be known if they must be reported under the law. While it is not something anyone can count on, he could be buying on any sell off.

Dan Loeb on the other hand appears to have already done well capital gains wise and might not increase his HLF holdings much past 8.5%, if that figure is accurate.

I am leaning toward selling a Feb 45 call and buying a March 45 ($3.10 - $1.80 = $1.30) , then if it holds up until Feb. 19th, the implied volatility on the long option may skyrocket. Further, stock could be shorted against it when and if it goes ex-dividend.

Any feedback? The author is an authority on these matters! How about a trade, Dr. Terry?!?
    Jan 26, 2013. 02:35 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Dogging The S&P 500: PIC-ing Another Kennel [View article]
    Seagate has been doing better than GRMN, a stock offering a terrific yield that on December 5 supplanted RRD in the S&P. From what I hear on tv, once a company is a member they enjoy capital inflows from index funds and ETFs...GRMN may have some problems and a share price that is propped up by yield?
    Jan 22, 2013. 03:13 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Insider Laugh Money: Altucher's Picks [View article]
    I recently wrote an article on a similar company that is still a microcap. The investor relations advisor for them initially contacted me and let me know that there would be an opportunity to interview the CEO. After much work, including some editorial feedback that is not a reason to recommend submitting anything here, thoughts went through my head that I could be doing something unlawful: "It is not worth it..." to get information from the CEO of a publicly traded company and then buy stock in it. The interaction with executive management took place online in a public presentation, so even though there was no wrongdoing, for peace of mind, my choice was to publish first and buy later. Now that three days have gone by, the stock is up over 12% or something like that...

As far as a chart, it would probably be easy to show that VRNG has no correlation to market-wide activity, or the XLK. [At least two of the guys at Riskreversal.com, a site that has recently re-extended a free 15 day trial, are CNBC contributors. Enis does technical analysis for them and many clips of him are on the internet.]
    Jan 22, 2013. 12:52 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Insider Laugh Money: Altucher's Picks [View article]
    Thanks, I must be hopelessly confused with all of the anonymity swirling around. To me, you might have been someone else because your new photo appears to be of a different person in comparison to the one you used previously.

It does not sound like you would be an authority on Bollinger Bands, then? There must be some fancy software that can make them stand out for an article or something different. For me, it is difficult to think of technical analysis seriously most of the time, though. That is why my comment addressed you as if you perform technical analysis on CNBC...Maybe a trader could use the bands to beat Ravicher!
    Jan 21, 2013. 10:35 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Insider Laugh Money: Altucher's Picks [View article]
    superdaemon, would share any information about Bollinger Bands?

Evidently the eponymous person is a CNBC contributor--multiple Bloomberg personalities do not masquerade here under pseudonyms also?
    Jan 21, 2013. 01:40 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Buy Nuance Communications For These Reasons [View article]
    Huh?
    Jan 19, 2013. 10:12 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dogging The S&P 500: PIC-ing Another Kennel [View article]
    I am going to have to follow you closer.

Seagate, an outlier in the Pedigree list, was added to the S&P 500 last year and a considerable percentage of its gain may be attributed to it.
    Jan 18, 2013. 05:12 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Hedge Funds: The Most Expensive Bargain In Town [View article]
    Your article uses a Dow Jones Credit Suisse index and thus presents new information to me. I remain not completely clear about what specific HFRX measure The Economist is using. It is a British magazine, and when they are not immersed in America their focus could actually be global. To quote them:

"The HFRX, a widely used measure of industry returns, is up by just 3%, compared with an 18% rise in the S&P 500 share index [for a year concluding 12/22/12]...The S&P 500 has now outperformed its hedge-fund rival for ten straight years, with the exception of 2008 when both fell sharply."

They go on to discuss the comparison you cite. It sounds to me like there are some "Market-beating superstars" who are worth it and the vast majority millionaires' money managers rely on their selling prowess to keep receiving exorbitant fees. It could also be that the magazine's data is inaccurate, but I tend to give them credit far beyond such issues.
    Jan 17, 2013. 09:57 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dissecting AutoZone's Earnings Growth (The Results May Surprise You) [View article]
    You may be right. ORLY and AAP report on Feb. 2nd and 3rd if I remember correctly. AAP's geographical results in the slowing areas are of interest. AZO's share price can probably be expected to move with its competitors'.
    Jan 17, 2013. 05:42 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I liked your article and would also enjoy something similar on PRXL, LSI or VMED.
    Jan 16, 2013. 10:08 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment