Quasi Trader

View Quasi Trader's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Kill Short-Term Pressures [View instapost]
    X is way too cyclical for me. ;)
    Jul 30, 2015. 12:36 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Electro Scientific Industries: Investors Win By Turnaround Or Takeover [View article]
    I doubt Vertex would want more than the 9.9% he already has. Makes you an insider. We can just keep an out for 13Gs or 13Ds. Any sale by Nierenberg or further purchase by Vertex would require a filing.
    Jul 29, 2015. 01:16 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    You have probably seen the results this morning. The company beat on top and bottom lines and had positive cash flow. The stock is trading up 8%

I believe I heard on the conference call that growth was expected to be 15-20% per year. The was also a question about the service segment that I think might help you. The transcript is not out yet so I can't quote it but you can listen to a replay here: http://seekingalpha.co...

As far as competition they go into that in the most resent 10-K. I ran across market share someplace but can't seem to find it now. Sorry about that. I seem to remember it was quite high. However, they make machines for several specialized industries and share probably varies from one to another.

There was discussion on the call about the Jade product which is designed specifically for the Chinese market and serves what the company called an underserved segment. It really sounds as if they have 2 or three new products that are being well received. I highly suggest listening to the CC or reading the transcript when it comes out.

With Nierenberg on the board I believe the company is running much more efficiently at the same time new products are being well received in the marketplace. As far as whether or not it's worth it, I think if you consider the company's very low valuation metrics combined with drastically improving performance, and Vertex standing by ready to sell them if they stumble, well I sure think it's worth it.
    Jul 29, 2015. 12:09 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Q2 Earnings Should Illustrate RadiSys Crossed A Meaningful Inflection Point [View article]
    Great job on the CC today, Mike. In response to your question it sounded to me like they admitted the EPHS business is for sale. And the guy after you basically caught them low balling full year estimates. You should use those responses in your next article.

QT
    Jul 29, 2015. 01:42 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • BlackBerry -4.9%; Chen talks turnaround, potential smartphone pullback [View news story]
    This is the phone I've been waiting for. With BB Hub and BBM this would be the perfect phone. I can't believe another company has beat Blackberry to this. Millions would pay $700 - $900 for a BB phone like the Turing Phone.
    Jul 24, 2015. 12:35 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • BlackBerry: Why It's No Ordinary Turnaround Story [View article]
    Very professional article. Free from emotion or hyperbole. Unfortunately, most of your reader base is not equipped with your ability for foresight and will always miss big moves. The market is so splendidly inefficient and gives gifts to those to those willing to accept them.

The foolish and scared have not finished punishing this stock for failing to reward them in the short term. I have not yet seen the flushing of those who should stick to large cap established predictable market proxies. While some will make money on the short side of that trade, capitalizing on the weak hands, those profits will pale to what awaits the few sophisticated of your readers who can see several steps ahead.
    Jun 30, 2015. 12:42 PM | 25 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What's The Story With BlackBerry's Licensing Revenue? [View article]
    Once again Robert, that's software AND Tech Licensing. They pulled 7 mill from service revenue in Q4 for comparative purposes to the new software and TL category. Core software was 67 and was "slightly down" this quarter.
    Jun 26, 2015. 01:05 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What's The Story With BlackBerry's Licensing Revenue? [View article]
    They reclassified some service revenue to the new software and Tech Licensing. Therefore $74 compares to $137.

In the 1Q 16 report they say that software ex- tech licensing was slightly down we can conclude that number compares to the original 67. probably 66 or 65, It's and apples to apples thing.
    Jun 26, 2015. 12:31 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What's The Story With BlackBerry's Licensing Revenue? [View article]
    page 10 of the Notes.
    Jun 26, 2015. 10:55 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What's The Story With BlackBerry's Licensing Revenue? [View article]
    So much debate around software revenue. The facts are as follows: Q4 2015 software revenue was $67 million. Not $74 million as the author states. This can be found on page 26 here: http://1.usa.gov/1GNTelS

Software revenue net of technology licensing fell "slightly." This can be found on page 10 here:
    Jun 26, 2015. 10:50 AM | 12 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Best Long Opportunity For The Remaining Days Of 2012: Ocean Shore Holding [View article]
    Chris, Just file a 13D and ask for a seat on the BOD. I say they'll give it to you. I own a fair amount of shares and I would like that very much!

-Wes
    May 22, 2015. 11:05 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Chis, How come you're not on the board there?
    May 22, 2015. 04:25 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • BlackBerry: Even The Bulls Are Giving Up On Hardware [View article]
    Mark, Thanks for the article. Although I am long, I appreciate your perspective on BBRY.

I certainly hope you are correct as to your estimate of 2.2 million handsets sold in Q4 as that would virtually guarantee a significant revenue beat and likely subsequent share price rally.

Service revenue has been well telegraphed to fall to about $313 million. Also, the company basically told us 19 days into the quarter that software revenue will be about $83 million. Other revenue should remain steady at about $10 million.

Therefore, if they sell 2.2 million devices at an average $200 (I think closer to $220) that would mean $440 million for devices and total revenue of about $846 million. That's about a 5% beat.

The fact that the device revenue mix will be higher margin and software is likewise high margin they should collectively offset the further loss of high margin service revenue. Therefore, I would also expect a small net income beat.

With all of the negative commentary over the past three weeks from GS, MS, Wells, etc. and the share price hit over the same period, I think we could reasonably expect a rally with even a small miss. I can only imagine the rally a beat might produce. Especially if management sticks to the doubling of software revenue during FY16.
    Mar 24, 2015. 02:56 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • NBC hoping Super ratings boost other properties [View news story]
    So they're hoping about 35% of the US population tunes in. I bet that's a lot lower number than the football freaks think watch it. I'm happy to be part of the 65% who doesn't watch. Haven't bothered to watch for the last 25 years. Let me know if Katy Perry has a wardrobe malfunction, though. I'll want to catch that on YouTube...
    Feb 1, 2015. 04:27 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Key Tronic: A Cheap, Quality, Growth Play On EMS Re-Shoring [View article]
    I really enjoyed reading this. Just one question. Early on you mention FN with it's great ROIC and operating margins yet it trades at a cash adjusted PE of 7. 10 and 12 trailing and forward unadjusted for cash. Why then would you expect the market to award KTCC a 15 multiple on $1.15 earnings? Why would it trade differently than it did in 2013 when it earned $1.12 and never cracked $12?
    Jan 9, 2015. 11:53 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment